Flyers Bobrovsky like by Cols Bluejackets?

Guest OH1FlyersFan

Apparently they do. Interesting article. And I read earlier that Bobrovsky's name was in the mix along with JVR for a highly specualtive, highly rumored trade for Nash. The Cols Dispatch sportswriter goes through a list of goalies they might consider. Most are ruled out, the one positive is a Flyer. No matter what happens, it's an interesting analysis by a team that desparately needs goaltending. But then, we could wind up on that list too....ha. From the article:

"Do they think Philadelphia's Sergei Bobrovsky has anything to offer? They just might."

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2012/06/goalie-reset.html

Nash is a $7.8million/year cap hit for the next 6 seasons. If they are going to trade package up Bob, for a player that makes that kinda money, his name better be Shea Weber or someone comparable. Just don't see the need for more offense.

I agree DGG. That doesn't make sense to me either. I believe our primary need is defense. Jagr was resigned, but he kinda faded out towards the end of last season and didn't have much of an impact in the playoffs. It'd be nice to have Nash's offensive capabilities, but I think we're ok there with who we already have. The greater need is to replace Pronger. And then we have to hope Bryz gets his head on straight for next season. If Bob goes, big IF - not saying any of this is true or could happen - then Bryz is the guy. All of my Columbus friends are saying that it's laughable to talk about trading Nash to the Flyers unless it's for JVR and Couturier and then SB and picks. To me, that's laughable. I wouldn't let Couts go for anything - not even Weber.

I agree DGG. That doesn't make sense to me either. I believe our primary need is defense. Jagr was resigned, but he kinda faded out towards the end of last season and didn't have much of an impact in the playoffs. It'd be nice to have Nash's offensive capabilities, but I think we're ok there with who we already have. The greater need is to replace Pronger. And then we have to hope Bryz gets his head on straight for next season. If Bob goes, big IF - not saying any of this is true or could happen - then Bryz is the guy. All of my Columbus friends are saying that it's laughable to talk about trading Nash to the Flyers unless it's for JVR and Couturier and then SB and picks. To me, that's laughable. I wouldn't let Couts go for anything - not even Weber.

JvR? Sure. Bob? No problem.

Cooter? No freaking way. Not a chance. That kid has got "superstar" written all over him.

• Like 3

Just don't see the need for more offense.

except that twice the offensive possession means 1/2 the need for defensive coverage. arguably, an offense that can control play covers for bryzgalov better than a defense that breaks plays up. even bryzgalov isn't going to get beat very often if the puck spends 45 minutes in the offensive zone, whereas the floater from the blueline that any defense will allow through to their goalie has a 10% chance of going in.

if JVR, bob and a 1st could get nash, by all means do it. in the end, it's only adding ~$3mil-ish to the cap, not including bob's bonuses. add those in, and it's a $1.8mil swing. 'course, you have to pay the new backup, so we're back to $2.8mil-ish, but rick nash skating with giroux and jagr? i'll take that.

Edited by noodl

except that twice the offensive possession means 1/2 the need for defensive coverage. arguably, an offense that can control play covers for bryzgalov better than a defense that breaks plays up. even bryzgalov isn't going to get beat very often if the puck spends 45 minutes in the offensive zone, whereas the floater from the blueline that any defense will allow through to their goalie has a 10% chance of going in.

if JVR, bob and a 1st could get nash, by all means do it. in the end, it's only adding ~$3mil-ish to the cap, not including bob's bonuses. add those in, and it's a $1.8mil swing. 'course, you have to pay the new backup, so we're back to $2.8mil-ish, but rick nash skating with giroux and jagr? i'll take that.

Not to mention Hartnell's contract is done at the end of this coming year so Nash could be Giroux's new goal scoring winger. We know as long as Bryzgalov is here, Silent Bob will not get a fair shake so if you can get something for him then Holmgren should do it.

Apparently they do. Interesting article. And I read earlier that Bobrovsky's name was in the mix along with JVR for a highly specualtive, highly rumored trade for Nash. The Cols Dispatch sportswriter goes through a list of goalies they might consider. Most are ruled out, the one positive is a Flyer. No matter what happens, it's an interesting analysis by a team that desparately needs goaltending. But then, we could wind up on that list too....ha. From the article:

"Do they think Philadelphia's Sergei Bobrovsky has anything to offer? They just might."

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2012/06/goalie-reset.html

There is a single, speculative mention of Bob in this article that is nothing but conjecture. We're just swapping stories here because there is nothing serious here.

Considering the Kings top 3 left wingers were Dustin Brown (who's an absolute gamer), Dustin Penner and rookie Dwight King, it tells me that there is no burning need to go out and spend 7.8 million on Nash (and I really like Nash) for 6 years.

I'd either saving my pennies for Weber or make some minor depth acquisitions and get the current roster slotted into the right places.

Considering the Kings top 3 left wingers were Dustin Brown (who's an absolute gamer), Dustin Penner and rookie Dwight King, it tells me that there is no burning need to go out and spend 7.8 million on Nash (and I really like Nash) for 6 years.

I'd either saving my pennies for Weber or make some minor depth acquisitions and get the current roster slotted into the right places.

'course, by the same logic, the king's top 3 dmen were drew doughty (offensive defenseman), rob scuderi and journeyman willie mitchell, and that tells me there is no need to go out and spend $7+mil on weber for however many years.

The Kings could really use some size, though. The Kings are a big team.

the king's top 3 dmen were drew doughty (offensive defenseman)

Doughty is pretty good at both ends. Labeling him as an "offensive defenseman" is selling him short. He's had a bit of an up and down career so far, but he's still very young and is a true franchise defenseman imo.

Doughty is pretty good at both ends. Labeling him as an "offensive defenseman" is selling him short. He's had a bit of an up and down career so far, but he's still very young and is a true franchise defenseman imo.

Well he's no Matt Carle that's for sure ;)

true, that is selling him short. my point was he isn't a weber/pronger/chara shutown defensive guy. if we are trying to learn lessons from the way the LA kings are built, it would seem that a big name monster shutdown #1 isn't a required part of the formula.

then again, i always think it's a tough thing to do to try to draw really any conclusions from how a team won a cup. the math that worked for LA worked for LA, and probably shouldn't be exported to other teams.

then again, i always think it's a tough thing to do to try to draw really any conclusions from how a team won a cup. the math that worked for LA worked for LA, and probably shouldn't be exported to other teams.

As P25 would say, "exackly".

Nash is a $7.8million/year cap hit for the next 6 seasons. If they are going to trade package up Bob, for a player that makes that kinda money, his name better be Shea Weber or someone comparable. Just don't see the need for more offense.

How bout a 3 team deal that sends Nash to well, Nashville and then Weber to Philly? I can dream.

There is a single, speculative mention of Bob in this article that is nothing but conjecture. We're just swapping stories here because there is nothing serious here.

That's fair. I have no inside knowledge, just what I read in the paper from those talking with the organization. It's no great revelation that a team who really needs a goalie is interested in Bob. But it's fun to speculate, hypothesize, guess.

Does anyone else think that IF the Flyers were to acquire Nash that he would then be swapped to Nashville for Weber?

Nash is an incredible player but we need to upgrade the defense before we hope to win a Cup.

That's what I was wondering. Actually the first thought that crossed my mind. Just pure speculation again, but could be part of a bigger deal.

• Like 1

No question Rick Nash would slot in nicely on our top line and he's a perfect fit for Lavy's uptempo-attack style of play. Unfortunately right now we have a starting goaltender who sucks. Our first priority should be minimizing Shots-Against. We need to get better defensively - as a team - so that we strengthen our weakest link. For that I think we're simply going to have to change the way we play. Everything should be "on the table," from roster moves to (dare I say it?) system adjustments.

SoCal, MadDog - others - I'm convinced: Lavy's system is the wrong approach as long as Bryzgalov wears the Orange & Black.

Naturally we don't want to change too much: keep building on our advantages, which I see as youth/energy/enthusiasm, speed and physical play. Those advantages made us among the best teams in the NHL this year - on 1 side of the ice. The challenge is to redirect or channel those advantages onto the defensive side too, and for that we're going to need more than Rick Nash (or any single player, be it Weber or Suter or a 25-year old Simon Gagne).

Noodl makes the point that superior puck-possession mitigates defensive liabilities. It can. It does. But it'll never reliably outweigh or overcome bad goaltending and poor (or non-existent) defensive-zone coverage. Doubling-down on Lavy's "Offense-First" approach won't translate into more PO success I'm afraid, it will only make the scores more lopsided. But there's no consolation losing 8-5 instead of 5-4.

Rick Nash won't get the Flyers any closer to the Stanley Cup. Even if he were the greatest 2-way fwd to ever play the game he doesn't address what the Flyers need most: Better Team D.

• Like 1

I found a very appropriate bit of speculation to post here (from Eklund):

On the Habs and Flyers...

Hearing the Flyers and Habs may be looking at a backup goalie swap...Bobrovsky for Budaj (e2)

e2...what the **** does that mean? Why do the Habs want Bobrovsky to back up Price? Why do the Flyers want Budaj? Is this a typo or is this even more incoherent drivel than usual from Ek? Is Homer bored or is he trying to teach the Habs new GM how to make a trade?

I found a very appropriate bit of speculation to post here (from Eklund):

On the Habs and Flyers...

Hearing the Flyers and Habs may be looking at a backup goalie swap...Bobrovsky for Budaj (e2)

e2...what the **** does that mean? Why do the Habs want Bobrovsky to back up Price? Why do the Flyers want Budaj? Is this a typo or is this even more incoherent drivel than usual from Ek? Is Homer bored or is he trying to teach the Habs new GM how to make a trade?

If the latter were true, Homer should do it for Price. Welcome to the GM Brotherhood, son.