Congrats Kings - My Thoughts

Guest Dynamo 47

First I wanted to congratulate the LA Kings on their first championship.

Here were my bulleted thoughts:

• Special wishes for Ron Hextall receiving his first Stanley Cup ring. While I know he would have preferred to win as a player, it is a ring just the same
  • Happy for Ex-Flyers Richards and Gags winning their first championship. Especially happy for Gags whose career almost ended due to head injuries. I hope winning the Cup will make Gags happy and he retires while still relatively healthy.
  • Kings are truly Flyers West both in ex-Flyers and their style of play
  • The Kings showed (much like the Flyers did in 2010) that the regular season is not nearly as important as getting on a roll in the playoffs
  • Goaltending and winning on the road are keys to a championship.
  • Size and strength do matter. The Kings were physical up front and won a lot of close battles which turned into 1 goal making the difference
  • Quick put on one of the best playoff performances ever (dare I say since Bernie led the Flyers to a victory)
  • Much like the Cup win did for the Flyers who joined the league in 1967, I hope that last night's win does the same for hockey in LA.
  • Kings Defense - The Devils only averaged 22 shots on goal in the series. If you eliminate the 33 shots in game 2, they averaged 20 shots on goal which is not going to beat a goalie playing as hot as Quick.

Sobering Thoughts:

• Kings joined the league the same year as the Flyers and with last nights Cup now are only one Cup behind the Flyers
  • Am I the only one who could not watch Jeff Carter hoist Lord Stanley? I never liked him as a player but seeing him win a Cup was the only real downer last night. Oh, and actually performing in the clutch with two goals.
  • Carter - traded, pouted in his Jersey shore house. Columbus officials actually flew out to talk to him. He joins Columbus, is injured but when healthy a total pouting bust and is traded and reunited with his boyfriend, Richards and instantly is happy again. To me the fact he acted like a petulant child and got his way was very hard to swallow.

Am I the only one who could not watch Jeff Carter hoist Lord Stanley? I never liked him as a player but seeing him win a Cup was the only real downer last night. Oh, and actually performing in the clutch with two goals.

Carter - traded, pouted in his Jersey shore house. Columbus officials actually flew out to talk to him. He joins Columbus, is injured but when healthy a total pouting bust and is traded and reunited with his boyfriend, Richards and instantly is happy again. To me the fact he acted like a petulant child and got his way was very hard to swallow.

i'd try to let this kind of thing go dyanamo... it will give you ulcers and make you feel like kicking dogs....I know you're not a dog kicker.

Quick put on the best playoff performance since...last year. Thomas was brilliant in that run.

Anyone else wonder why it took their teammates so long to pass the cup to Quick and Doughty, two of THE most worthy recipients on the entire roster?

• Like 1

Quick put on the best playoff performance since...last year. Thomas was brilliant in that run.

Anyone else wonder why it took their teammates so long to pass the cup to Quick and Doughty, two of THE most worthy recipients on the entire roster?

I noticed that too. I liked how Gags got in there early but didn't understand the choice of Carter & Ricards before Quick and Doughty.

• Like 1

My initial thought is that regardless of how many more points Schenn, Coots, Simmonds, and Voracek put up over Richards and Carter, the Kings won the deal. Until we win a Cup, LA will always have won that deal. A ten-time all-star in Schenn with no Cup doesn't make up for it.

How quickly things change! ;)

• Like 1

Here were my bulleted thoughts:

I instantly thought of Mary Jo Buttafuoco when reading that. Which lead to Mary Kay Letourneau, which led to thoughts of Judy German, my hot high school swim coach who never molested me, damn her.

But back to the Kings....

• Like 2

Carter - traded, pouted in his Jersey shore house. Columbus officials actually flew out to talk to him. He joins Columbus, is injured but when healthy a total pouting bust and is traded and reunited with his boyfriend, Richards and instantly is happy again. To me the fact he acted like a petulant child and got his way was very hard to swallow.

To be honest, I had zero problem with Carter (or any of the former Flyers) winning the Cup. I'm happy for him/them.

I know that we all want to gripe about pro athletes, but put yourself in his shoes, if you can do so objectively.

I remember when he was heading toward free agency (prior to signing his contract extension) and everyone was worried that he would not be loyal to the Flyers, but would bolt for the big money elsewhere. What did he do? Signed a very long-term contract with a cap-friendly number. He wanted to stay here. He wanted to win a Cup here. (And if not for our garbage goal-tending in the Finals, he would have won a Cup in Philly & we would not be having this discussion.)

He then gets summarily dumped by the Flyers to quite possibly the worst hockey team/market in the country.

Dumped by the only team he has ever played for as a pro. The team who told him that he would be a cornerstone for years to come.

No chance at the playoffs.

No rabid fan base like in Philly.

And living in Ohio. Ohio.

Carter has never exactly been captain clutch in the playoffs, but he was not the reason that we lost the Finals 2 years ago. That dubious distinction would be Leighton's. (And even in his case we don't even make the Finals without him.)

Carter & Richards's partying or whatever was an overblown story. I'm OK with the trades, and I'm happy for LA.

But we'd better win a Cup soon.

• Like 2

Agree with AndyS. As much as I like to hate on Carter, I was happy seeing him win last night. He stepped up big time in the Finals and was a big reason for the Kings beating the Devils. I'm happy for all the ex-Flyers there, and the rest of the Kings, especially Gagne. I would have loved to see him win it in an orange and black jersey, but I'm just happy he finally won. I have nothing but love and great memories of Gagne.

• Like 1