What should have been here

Guest Irishjim

Quick was insane all playoffs but give the Kings some credit..they won the cup because they were more physical and won the battles against every team....

.946sv% through 20 games. yes, the kings' skaters were very good, but...an "average" save percentage of .920 from their goalie would have bumped their goals against up by 13 goals (on the same 539 shots against). 1.45gaa becomes 2.10, and they aren't winning as many games. which maybe puts question marks on the cup itself.

credit to the entire team, but suffice to say the conn smythe was given to the right person.

• Like 1

If Carter and Richards were still here, the Flyers would not be Stanley Cup champs.

I'd like to take that a step further and say that if they were still Flyers, the Kings might still win the cup. yes, they contributed but they aren't the main reasons the Kings won. They had a very well balanced team and rock solid goaltending.

And as far as Jeff and Mike are concerned, sure it was nice to win the cup but I'm sure it must sting a bit knowing they couldn't get the job done as leaders of their team and just merely cogs of another. Stanley Cup champs they are and no one can take that away from them but something tells me it would've been much more satisfying if had happened for them in 2010.

interestingly, tied with giroux and briere, among others. there really were no goal scoring beasts this spring.

no point being made, just weird that giroux and briere were still at the top of that list.

Only tied with those two because my Pens couldn't stop a beach ball from entering a brake line. LOL Sad truth on my teams lack of defense in the playoffs.

I'd like to take that a step further and say that if they were still Flyers, the Kings might still win the cup. yes, they contributed but they aren't the main reasons the Kings won. They had a very well balanced team and rock solid goaltending.

And as far as Jeff and Mike are concerned, sure it was nice to win the cup but I'm sure it must sting a bit knowing they couldn't get the job done as leaders of their team and just merely cogs of another. Stanley Cup champs they are and no one can take that away from them but something tells me it would've been much more satisfying if had happened for them in 2010.

I doubt that has even entered their heads. They just won the pinnacle of everything they've been striving for since they were three years old. They played solid roles in doing so as well, especially Carter with two goals last night. It's not like they were fourth liners... and the respect their teammates had in giving them the Cup early shows how highly they are regarded by the team.

I doubt that has even entered their heads. They just won the pinnacle of everything they've been striving for since they were three years old. They played solid roles in doing so as well, especially Carter with two goals last night. It's not like they were fourth liners... and the respect their teammates had in giving them the Cup early shows how highly they are regarded by the team.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would enter their mind immediately and thus get in the way of enjoying the moment. I just meant that it is a lot different feeling to carry a team that was built around you to a championship. They worked towards that goal since the lockout.

I also didn't say they were slouches (or fourth liners as you put it) who rode the coattails of a good team. I acknowledged that they contributed to the Kings success, they just weren't the cornerstones of the team. As far as respect from their teammates, why wouldn't they get the respect? They're both good players and good guys and people in the hockey world love them. It just didn't work out here, no need to believe it wouldn't work out elsewhere, people sometimes just need a change of scenery

.946sv% through 20 games. yes, the kings' skaters were very good, but...an "average" save percentage of .920 from their goalie would have bumped their goals against up by 13 goals (on the same 539 shots against). 1.45gaa becomes 2.10, and they aren't winning as many games. which maybe puts question marks on the cup itself.

credit to the entire team, but suffice to say the conn smythe was given to the right person.

I agree Quick deserved the Conn Smythe (as I said he played insane all playoffs) but Quick didn't score any of the goals for his team or did he?

Gentlemen......Let us not forget...Homer DID NOT TRADE Carter to LA. Remember he went to the the NHL's version of purgatory hell known at the BlueJackets. I seriously doubt Homer had any vision that Carter would be traded again to LA. Carter cried and threw a fit equivalent to my 4 yr old when he is denied ice-cream for breakfast! :) That is what got him out of Columbus. Though is sucks Carter won the cup, none of us and I mean none of us forsaw him going to LA and being reunited with his drinking buddy....aka Richards. How many of us saw the Kings as a serious threat to make a cup run...put your hands up. Not me. Good goalteanding...aka ..Quick is what got LA that Cup. His stats are insane. Even if Carter is never traded to LA...with the way Quick played...LA would still have won the Cup. Carter was not THE reason the Kings won the cup.

They may have grown up and matured alittle, but I agree with the majority here. The probablity of them winning the Cup here was closing fast and their actions had alot to do with it. (just my humble opinion)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

I just want to win a cup, I don't care who we have on the team..if keeping Richards and Carter wins the cup then yes I keep them..and we were only 2 games away from winning the cup when they were here..

Every year one team is usually a game or two away from winning a Cup. Doesn't mean that they will win it if they just keep the status quo.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, tv cut away just as Hexy was being handed the Cup, I hadn't seen a pic yet.

Forget Richards, Gagne and ole frosted tips, THAT'S the moment I wish happened here. I swear if that '87 team had pulled it off I wouldn't be so miserable about our drought

• Like 1

@sarsippius

that would knock about 25 years off the drought, that team had heart, if only tim kerr had been healthy... it's always something isn't it ?

I would have liked for the '10 team to have won too, that would have been a great story, coming back from 0-3 down and winning the cup, it would have been legendary, the ice was tilted our way in the ot in game 6, kane's goal was so out of place , just goes to show "it's always a good play to put the puck on net" especially against a flyers goalie.

anyhow, good for gags and the other exes... we'll get ours one day, maybe one day soon.

Well, I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would enter their mind immediately and thus get in the way of enjoying the moment. I just meant that it is a lot different feeling to carry a team that was built around you to a championship. They worked towards that goal since the lockout.

I also didn't say they were slouches (or fourth liners as you put it) who rode the coattails of a good team. I acknowledged that they contributed to the Kings success, they just weren't the cornerstones of the team. As far as respect from their teammates, why wouldn't they get the respect? They're both good players and good guys and people in the hockey world love them. It just didn't work out here, no need to believe it wouldn't work out elsewhere, people sometimes just need a change of scenery

Well said... My apologies for misunderstanding.

@mojo1917

Kerr was always around the net absorbing punishment, turned his shoulders into mincemeat. Gotta think he could have made a difference....Agree on 2010, after that comeback against Boston if they could have closed the deal, children would be singing songs for a hundred years about the comeback kids. Instead Carter missed the net then Leighton forgot he was playing a hockey game.

Someday it'll be us, and it'll be friggin glorious when it happens

• Like 1

interestingly, tied with giroux and briere, among others. there really were no goal scoring beasts this spring.

no point being made, just weird that giroux and briere were still at the top of that list.

I think that says a lot about those two Flyers. And Briere and Giroux played, what, less than half the games that Carter did? If they had made it through two more series, played the same number of games as the Kings, they'd have blown everyone away.

• Like 1

Well said... My apologies for misunderstanding.

hey man, np. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't bent about the situation. I'm not thrilled about ex-flyers winning the cup right away, but that comes more from the frustration of having the organization promise us fans this that and the other thing about players and then things don't work out. At the same time, I'm okay giving credit where credit is due and Richards handled things as classy as one could hope. He's been given numerous opportunities to take digs at the Flyers and he's handled each of those situations with class.

That said, I still believe there's a part of Richards, Carter, and even Stevens that wish they could've gotten it done in Philly. Exiting the lockout,

• Like 1

I gotta say I don't begrudge Carter or richie for winning the cup with the kings. But what I am bitter over is the relative health in which they enjoyed this post season that never seemed to happen when they were with us. Richie was always skating with decimated shoulders or a sprained wrist come playoff time. Carter was always busy trying to break bones in his feet. If we could have had a healthy streak like the Kings did who knows... I don't know who to direct this bitterness at... The hockey gods? Bad luck? What gives **********? In two rounds we probably had more injured guys than LA did in four. It has to even out for us at some point, right? Right????

@mkscrewy

Very true about health. I know all teams usually go through it, but it always seems devastating when Philly does. And it happens every season.

---

I'm happy for the Kings, and for the former Flyers. I really am. I'm just bummed that it couldn't have happened for them in Philly. Gagne and Richards specifically are two of my few recent-favorite Flyers (along with Kapanen, Lappy, #88), accounting for the fact I'm not as old as some here.

At least the Devils lost, and maybe Brodeur and Elias will finally retire...that would count as a silver lining for me.

• Like 2

@orange_crush

Well, let's see...Quick gave up 29 goals in 20 games. He had the lowest GAA in playoff history, for goalies that played 15+ games at 1.41. He also had the highest save percentage in NHL playoff history for goalies that played 15+ playoff games at .946. So no, it's not an exaggeration, or Kuato-esque in the least.

Arguing how many goals a goalie scored in the playoffs to prove your point is....

That's the difference.

• Like 1

Gotta remember though.. GAA and save % are also direct results of solid team defense which the Kings were definitely committed to. Quick earned MVP with stellar performances but it's a team sport. They ALL contributed.

• Like 1

Gotta remember though.. GAA and save % are also direct results of solid team defense which the Kings were definitely committed to. Quick earned MVP with stellar performances but it's a team sport. They ALL contributed.

Very true, and often forgotten. LA played very sound positional defense, which yieled few quality chances against and limited rebound opportunities.