Lupul takes a stab at Philly

Guest trevluk

Anyone else see on the "ticker banner" on the NHL Network at the bottom of the TV where they scroll Twitter posts, there was a Twitter from Lupul that said " I guess Richards and Carter do have what it takes. Sorry Philly!" What a d**k.

Anyone else see on the "ticker banner" on the NHL Network at the bottom of the TV where they scroll Twitter posts, there was a Twitter from Lupul that said " I guess Richards and Carter do have what it takes. Sorry Philly!" What a d**k.

A little easier when you're not the main guy and you only average 18-19 minutes a night during the regular season verses 22-25 minutes in Philly.

Plus having a Conn Smythe goaltender always helps...

• Like 1

They never said Richards and Crater didn't have what it takes to win the Cup.

I would say, however, that Anaheim (twice), Philadelphia and Edmonton might be of the opinion that Lupul might not have what it takes...

• Like 4

Nice tweet Lupes, you pothead. You weren't dissing Philly fans when they were supporting you while you dealt with that blood infection that almost killed you. Maybe you can cry your way to LA too.

Yeah I caught that last night. **** him, hope he enjoys having every April and May off in Toronto.

Lupul could care less about winning. He's playing in Toronto.

They never said Richards and Crater didn't have what it takes to win the Cup.

I would say, however, that Anaheim (twice), Philadelphia and Edmonton might be of the opinion that Lupul might not have what it takes...

Exactly, maybe future journeyman dime-a-dozen players shouldn't tweet trash talk.

don't get why he's bitter what he play here 1 year

Lupul played two years with the Flyers. He surely could be upset for being traded away from the good times. His tweet probably also relates to Richards and Carter being traded because their partying ways wouldn't win Philly a championship.

Lupul did just have over a point per game pace in Toronto of all places. He's finally healthy.

Beyond that, hope he rots in Toronto.

I do think he has a point though - didn't Ed actually say he didn't think the team would go further with Richards and Carter on the team? If so, ouch, less than a year.

I do think he has a point though - didn't Ed actually say he didn't think the team would go further with Richards and Carter on the team? If so, ouch, less than a year.

If they win the Cup, they've gone farther than they did with Richards and Crater...

It's only ouch if not having Richards and Carter prevented us from a Cup run this year. That is simply not the case. Richards and Carter were nice complimentary players for LA and definitely contributed to their run but they aren't what put LA over the top.

• Like 3

Richards and Carter were nice complimentary players for LA and definitely contributed to their run but they aren't what put LA over the top.

I agree right up to the end of the sentence, it was those complementary players that put the Kings over the top, the core of brown kopitar doughty williams johnson quick stoll and greene had been together for a few years and were not having success beyond making the tournament the addition of playoff Mike and" how did he have 8 goals Carter" were exactly what put that team over the top.

bitterness aside the ex flyers on that roster were instrumental to the kings success, they were not the go to guys that's kopitar brown and williams but they were on the PK , 2nd unit PP with Richards playing some point on the first unit occastionally they scored big goals and made plays that needed made the Kings don't win without Richards and Carter.

• Like 1

Maybe, but two things:

1) those two just won the cup

2) we are saying 'if'

Those two winning the Cup with the Kings has no bearing on whether the Flyers will do better without them.

I do not believe that Bob/Leighton in net and Richie/Crater up front they get farther than they did this season.

bitterness aside the ex flyers on that roster were instrumental to the kings success, they were not the go to guys that's kopitar brown and williams

The Flyers' #1 pick in 2000 says "hello" :-)

@radoran

i don't count williams...our fan base isn't as bitter about him winning a cup for the second time as they are about richards and carter. he was a flyer for only a short time and wasn't a "we're building the team around you kid" player. he's been on other teams twice as long as he was here and he was a part of the core of the kings that wasn't getting it done.

but your point, it is noted.

@radoran

i don't count williams...our fan base isn't as bitter about him winning a cup for the second time as they are about richards and carter. he was a flyer for only a short time and wasn't a "we're building the team around you kid" player. he's been on other teams twice as long as he was here and he was a part of the core of the kings that wasn't getting it done.

but your point, it is noted.

Yes, well, Williams was a "disappointing" first round pick who was "always injured" and had "questionable commitment" when he was here.

Of course, he's now on the Cup twice...

He was also drafted two years *after* Gagne and played four seasons here.

For discussion, I'm not "bitter" about Richards and Crater winning the Cup (I am somehwat bitter about how they handled Simon Gagne).

To me, Crater and Richards are two players who got the swift kick in the pants that they needed when they got dealt and it was a wake up call they were certainly not going to get in Philadephia with two decade-long contracts with NTCs. To look at their achievement in LA and in any way equate it to what they "would" have done if here this season just doesn't hold up to scrutiny for me.

I'm frustrated with the organization's "chasing the Dragon" approach towards player development. The Flyers have consistently drafted well, but they (and the fanbase) tends to sour on players that aren't immediate "impact" players.

These are the top Flyer draft picks prior to Crater/Richards who made any significant impact in the NHL:

* Cup winners

Williams* gets dealt for a rental of Danny Markov

Sharp* for Matt Ellison

Seidenberg* for "shutdown center" Petr Nedved

Zubrus for Mark Recchi Version Two

Pitkanen for Smith and Lupul

Niinimaa for McGillis

Gagne* for Matt Walker and a fourth rounder

Prospal for Daigle

add in Woywitka for Comrie, Boucher for Esche/Handzus

Of those, maybe two? three? went in the Flyers' favor?

I do think that the Richards and Crater trades benefitted the Flyers then, now and in the future. But I also hope we avoid fire sales of "disappointing" first round picks who are "always injured" and have "questionable commitment".

Who knows how many Cups they'll win somewhere else...

I agree right up to the end of the sentence, it was those complementary players that put the Kings over the top, the core of brown kopitar doughty williams johnson quick stoll and greene had been together for a few years and were not having success beyond making the tournament the addition of playoff Mike and" how did he have 8 goals Carter" were exactly what put that team over the top.

bitterness aside the ex flyers on that roster were instrumental to the kings success, they were not the go to guys that's kopitar brown and williams but they were on the PK , 2nd unit PP with Richards playing some point on the first unit occastionally they scored big goals and made plays that needed made the Kings don't win without Richards and Carter.

I disagree. It was the play of Quick, Brown, and Doughty that put them over the top. You mention that they played together in previous years, however, none of them played at the level they did during this particular postseason run. They all peaked together when it counted most and in my opinion that is why they won. Richards and Carter definitely contributed but those contributions really could have came from any 2 similarly talented players. Without Quick, Brown, and Doughty playing at a level they never had prior Richards and Carters play would have been irrelevant as they would not have won a cup.

• Like 1

Please tell me you don't care what Lupul thinks???