Lupul takes a stab at Philly

Guest trevluk

It's impossible to quantify a contribution from an individual (on an NHL team). We're all basically going on gut feeling. We can look at point-production, face-off wins, +/-, whatever stats you like but in the end none of them paint a complete picture of what a guy is worth to a team.

My feeling is Richards and eventually Carter were integral to the Kings' success this year. The reg season stats don't help very much to prove that but look at the POs and you have to wonder, without Richards and Carter who makes up those 30 points? And as painful as it may be to Flyers' fans some of Carter's 8 goals were clutch. Yes they were. Call it a lucky tip-in or call it amazing hand/eye coordination. Whatever side you're on the fact is Carter put himself in the right spot to score the Cup-winning goal. He didn't do it alone, obviously. But if he's not there to do it...does it get done? Maybe not.

Anyone else see on the "ticker banner" on the NHL Network at the bottom of the TV where they scroll Twitter posts, there was a Twitter from Lupul that said " I guess Richards and Carter do have what it takes. Sorry Philly!" What a d**k.

Well we have simmonds and ssssssssch enn! who? what?

Yes, well, Williams was a "disappointing" first round pick who was "always injured" and had "questionable commitment" when he was here.

Of course, he's now on the Cup twice...

He was also drafted two years *after* Gagne and played four seasons here.

For discussion, I'm not "bitter" about Richards and Crater winning the Cup (I am somehwat bitter about how they handled Simon Gagne).

To me, Crater and Richards are two players who got the swift kick in the pants that they needed when they got dealt and it was a wake up call they were certainly not going to get in Philadephia with two decade-long contracts with NTCs. To look at their achievement in LA and in any way equate it to what they "would" have done if here this season just doesn't hold up to scrutiny for me.

I'm frustrated with the organization's "chasing the Dragon" approach towards player development. The Flyers have consistently drafted well, but they (and the fanbase) tends to sour on players that aren't immediate "impact" players.

These are the top Flyer draft picks prior to Crater/Richards who made any significant impact in the NHL:

* Cup winners

Williams* gets dealt for a rental of Danny Markov

Sharp* for Matt Ellison

Seidenberg* for "shutdown center" Petr Nedved

Zubrus for Mark Recchi Version Two

Pitkanen for Smith and Lupul

Niinimaa for McGillis

Gagne* for Matt Walker and a fourth rounder

Prospal for Daigle

add in Woywitka for Comrie, Boucher for Esche/Handzus

Of those, maybe two? three? went in the Flyers' favor?

I do think that the Richards and Crater trades benefitted the Flyers then, now and in the future. But I also hope we avoid fire sales of "disappointing" first round picks who are "always injured" and have "questionable commitment".

Who knows how many Cups they'll win somewhere else...

I think SHarp for Ellison must be the trade of all times! I consider prospal for diagle an excellent move compared to sharp for ellison.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bro? I'm soooooooooooooooooo stoned

joffreylupul-thumb-375xauto-25482.jpg

This is how I imagine him as he was typing that tweet.

Was the follow up tweet something like this: "#JLupul, please trade me back to Anaheim so I can get some of that fine medicinal cannabis"?

Please tell me you don't care what Lupul thinks???

why isn't he? who's to say what's allowed to be important and what isn't? Lupol is an ex-flyer taking a dig at the team. it's relevant. if want to turn the other cheek then more power to you but you don't need to be so judgmental on others who's passion doesn't directly line up with yours. :P

Anyone else see on the "ticker banner" on the NHL Network at the bottom of the TV where they scroll Twitter posts, there was a Twitter from Lupul that said " I guess Richards and Carter do have what it takes. Sorry Philly!" What a d**k.

sad thing is I agree with Lupul..Flyers threw Richards and Carter under the bus saying there a bunch of drunks and now there cup champions...it won't be long before they throw Giroux under the bus next..happens all the time in Philly..

• Like 1

@orange_crush

The Flyers Management threw them under the bus? Or was it the fans?

I recall Holmgren nearly crying at the press conference regarding the trade of MR.

To me the whole thing, if true, was a wake up call. Mike Richards shined in a reduced role and Jeff flourished when he was not expected to be the #1 scoring guy on the team. If anything, the Flyers brass did them a favor and let them play to their capabilities instead of over their heads.

Lupul is a child and plays for the biggest joke in all sports franchises, he can suck it.... as Hartnell would put it.

• Like 3

I dont hink that will happen to Giroux. He is almost flawless. But Jeff and Mike wasnt and it takes so little it seems...

The biggest mistake was to give Richards the C so early. In my opinion he couldnt handle it and I dont think he enjoyd it.

• Like 1

The biggest mistake was to give Richards the C so early. In my opinion he couldnt handle it and I dont think he enjoyd it.

Right, this idea that you give a guy the C with the thought that he'll grow into it is completely ridiculous. They did it with Richards and they did it with Lindros, both were colossal mistakes that prevented the player from developing his game without an unrealistic spotlight. You don't make a guy captain because of his potential to be a good leader, you let him develop that trait and give him the job if/when he's ready and earned it.

• Like 1

Right, this idea that you give a guy the C with the thought that he'll grow into it is completely ridiculous. They did it with Richards and they did it with Lindros, both were colossal mistakes that prevented the player from developing his game without an unrealistic spotlight. You don't make a guy captain because of his potential to be a good leader, you let him develop that trait and give him the job if/when he's ready and earned it.

Hitting "agree with this" really isn't enough.

• Like 1

So Giroux should not be given the "C" then?

I like Talbot for the C. Kimmo would be my second choice if I thought he could make it through the season.

Nothing against Giroux, best pure talent here since Lindros and he works twice as hard. I think he has it in him to be captain some day. Not now. Just let him play hockey, continue to develop his leadership skills and earn the respect of his teammates.

• Like 2

I agree right up to the end of the sentence, it was those complementary players that put the Kings over the top, the core of brown kopitar doughty williams johnson quick stoll and greene had been together for a few years and were not having success beyond making the tournament the addition of playoff Mike and" how did he have 8 goals Carter" were exactly what put that team over the top.

Richards and Carter are both very good players. The reality is that hey BOTH are / were second fiddle for LA. Put Quick and Doughty on our team with Richards and Carter as SECOND fiddles and odds are we win the cup too.

Oh and those EIGHT effing goals by carter- 3 came in one game and those three not one was a game winner. So, in 19 games, he had 5 goals. Hmmm.....over an NHL season that projects to 21 goals. Not at you, but to everyone, lets not have a wet dream about Carter- because he was not all that and a bag of chips for LA.

goals by carter- 3 came in one game and those three not one was a game winner

But of course he did tip-in the Cup-winning goal didn't he? Actually it was a helluva deflection, from a surprising source. That isn't generally Carter's game, hanging on the doorstep looking for tip-ins. But - 2 goals in the deciding game and 1 the GW-er...not too shabby.;

Carter had a HT earlier in the POs but you seem to dismiss it like it's nothing, which is hardly the case. I get your point; he wasn't scoring in every game. But let's not pretend a HT - whenever a guy bags one - is irrelevant.

Right now Carter's 21 goals on the season is the anomaly; we'll have to see what he does with a full year in LA. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him right back among the top 10 goal scorers... would you?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him right back among the top 10 goal scorers... would you?

I won't be surprised, no. What is there to be surpsied with? We all knew he was - and I am sure syill is - a great goal scorer. Call him one dimensional, but goal scoring is exactly that one dimension that has been there with him just about every year. When put in the right environment, he shoul dbe scoring 40 goals easily on a yearly basis.

With that said, I still think the Flyers got the better end of the deal. Couturier alone, EVEN NOW, is a better player than Carter. And in 2-3 years? Watch out!

• Like 1