Proposals for next year

Guest yave1964

The Wings have salary galore, even more so if the cap goes to 70 million as anticipated. with all respect to J.P.s little boy, here are the moves I would like to see the Wings make this offseason.

1. It starts with Suter. If we dont get him, everything else is moot. It makes us stronger while weakening the team that knocked us out.

2. Time for Holmstrom to retire. Love ya Homer, but your dead wood at this point.

3. Hear me out- trade for Luongo. We can afford the cap hit and I am still in the minority who feel Jimmy Howard is a product of the team and not as good as his stats appear. Luongo could be had for next to nothing.

4. Trade Howard to the Bolts for Ryan Malone.

5. Sign Parenteau from the Isles.

This gets us close to the cap limit, but would put the Wings back on top again. Holland let the boys down last year by not pulling the trigger at the deadline with cap space to spare, hopefully the same doesnt happen again.

Interesting points @yave1964. A couple comments...

Agreed on Suter. However, I don't think he is as critical as you say. It'll be tough to get him, but otherwise, there are other options. Matt Carle from PHI is up for contract this summer too and I think he would fit in nicely - a tough defender who isn't afraid to shoot and can score!

Agreed that Homer should retire. There's no place in a competitive roster for a slow, aging 4th-liner. He is the best at deflecting shots in front of the net, but now most of the teams have adopted a more aggressive style of blocking shots before they get to the net anyway. He can't deflect it if it never gets to him.

I don't like the idea of trading Jimmy Howard at all. I disagree that he is not as good as he appears. I think the team in front of him does make him better. Luongo would come in with something to prove, and maybe a chip on his shoulder that he hasn't achieved immortality yet. Howard is home, happy as hell where he is, and as dedicated as anyone else on that team. The Wings need to give him time to develop into the outstanding goaltender he can be. The better option would be to add a top-flight backup. Joey MacDonald could be the one, but I think the Wings need to give him the chance. They should rotate Howard and JoeyMac more often during the season. Keeps Howard fresh and Mac gets more confident in the NHL arena.

Good idea to sign Parenteau, but he is well loved on the Island so it might be tough to pry him free. The Islanders are in the midst of a rebuilding campaign, and they've been developing a number of young faces to center the team around. Parenteau could be one of those faces, behind Tavares and Moulson. Same thing goes with Zack Parise. I have my doubts that he'll leave Jersey. I saved my judgement until after the Cup finals, but had the Devils won, or lost after a long series (like they did) Parise would be interested in staying and having another go at it. If the Devils had been bounced early, or swept in the Finals, I think he would have been more inclined to pursue other options. Still, it would be worth making him an offer. They key point to remember is this...rumors abound that Parise doesn't like New Jersey because he is no longer in the spotlight and has taken a P.R. backseat to Ilya Kovalchuk and Adam Henrique. His limelight wouldn't be any brighter in Detroit.

Matt Carle from PHI is up for contract this summer too and I think he would fit in nicely - a tough defender who isn't afraid to shoot and can score!

Interesting discussion here. It's an enviable situation the Wings are in. Almost certain that Suter lands there. Nice

But the description of Carle above made me laugh. I have no doubt he would prosper in DET, but you will be hard-pressed, hard-pressed I tell you, to find any of the many Flyer fans here describe him as either a "tough defender" (LOL) or that he can "shoot" (LOLZ) or has a scoring knack (LOLZ).

He is mobile (in fact a tremendously effortless skater) who has above-average vision and above-average passing skills. That's what you'd be getting.

Edited by Podein25

@WingNut722

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude (it just comes naturally). I'm one of a handful of defenders of Carle here because I value his mobility, passing and vision (which shows up in his 34 assists and his consistently high Corsi ratings). People take it for granted and won't value it until it is gone. But yeah, he has a brutal shot and is considered soft and a defensive liability.

@WingNut722

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude (it just comes naturally). I'm one of a handful of defenders of Carle here because I value his mobility, passing and vision (which shows up in his 34 assists and his consistently high Corsi ratings). People take it for granted and won't value it until it is gone. But yeah, he has a brutal shot and is considered soft and a defensive liability.

While some (ok more than some) Flyers fans consider Carle a "defensive liability" I don't think he is, at all. He just isn't a hitter. Well, Lidstrom did ok in Detroit for how many years? I think Carle would be a good fit in Detroit if they don't get Suter, but I would be shocked if they don't get Suter. And I do think the Flyers will re-sign Carle.

• Like 1

@WingNut722

No problem at all Pods. I appreciate the insight. It would be interesting to see if the Wings actually express interest in Carle. As you say though, a lot of fans may not like him for one reason or another, but how does management feel? You think they'd offer a deal to Carle? @JackStraw thinks he'll re-sign, but for how much?

@WingNut722

You would know the Wings better than I, but I'd say that they would only pursue Carle if they didn't get Suter. Also, and I know it's the Wings, I'd want to give Brendan Smith a chance at a regular shift. Given the type of player Smith is, I can't see them wanting/needing Suter, Carle and Smith.

@WingNut722 - I'm pretty sure that the reason they haven't re-signed Carle yet is because of the tagging space thing. Homer has hinted that they have the deal pretty much worked out, and that he thinks Carle will sign for less than market value. My guess is ? years for $4.75 million per. A bit more than Coburn ($4.5) got.

@WingNut722

You would know the Wings better than I, but I'd say that they would only pursue Carle if they didn't get Suter. Also, and I know it's the Wings, I'd want to give Brendan Smith a chance at a regular shift. Given the type of player Smith is, I can't see them wanting/needing Suter, Carle and Smith.

Brendan Smith would certainly get the chance, even if he was the seventh defenseman rotated on and off. I don't think the Wings would pursue both Suter and Carle. Suter should be the goal, but if the doesn't work (I think he'll sign with Nashville again) then Carle would be another option. I think they need to only pursue one experienced blueliner

@WingNut722 - I'm pretty sure that the reason they haven't re-signed Carle yet is because of the tagging space thing. Homer has hinted that they have the deal pretty much worked out, and that he thinks Carle will sign for less than market value. My guess is ? years for $4.75 million per. A bit more than Coburn ($4.5) got.

Might be a good reason for Carle to stay. The Wings would probably offer him an trial-basis contract, only 1 or 2 years. The salary would be a big issue though, since Kronwall and White only make $3MM or less

Brendan Smith would certainly get the chance, even if he was the seventh defenseman rotated on and off. I don't think the Wings would pursue both Suter and Carle. Suter should be the goal, but if the doesn't work (I think he'll sign with Nashville again) then Carle would be another option. I think they need to only pursue one experienced blueliner

Might be a good reason for Carle to stay. The Wings would probably offer him an trial-basis contract, only 1 or 2 years. The salary would be a big issue though, since Kronwall and White only make $3MM or less

Kronwall is making $4.75 on his new contract, which is what I think Carle will get.