2013 Cup Winners Penguins early favorites

Guest FlyersFan4Life

I disagree about more holes to fill but I dunno about overall favorites either. I think if Bylsma cuts back on the number of Fleury starts in the regular season that will be a huge improvement to start!

Let's also remember that betting lines are just Vegas trying to predict where gamblers will put their money and adjusting the numbers accordingly

While true, having a healthy Crosby would certainly help their chances. They're one legit defensive defenseman away from being a serious problem.

They're one legit defensive defenseman away from being a serious problem.

yep either way, either they sign a guy and look out they'll be a tough out, or they lose a guy and wind up in the same boat as they were this year.

though, i'm not sure how much longer Orpik is going to be able to log the tough minutes against the top scorers, i thought he was looking kind of prongeresque by the end of the series, and i don't mean that in the good way. the pens might need 2 defensemen kind of like us. the off-season will be interesting.

Letang is a given, but if Martin or Michalek can play the way either of them did two years ago.... Or maybe prospects Depres or strait step up and earn it... They have a lot of young defenseman believed to be great prospects. We'll see where things go.

This pole was brought to you by; Gary Bettman, Pierre McGuire, Ed Olyck, Doc Emerick, Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey!

LOL!!! BRILLIANT!!

Nice double entendre... No kidding about the "pole" there.........

This pole was brought to you by; Gary Bettman, Pierre McGuire, Ed Olyck, Doc Emerick, Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey!

I'll grant you Emerick cuz he's a Pittsburgh kid, and Steigerwald/Errey are obviously our laurel & hardy tv guys... But the rest seem to fly their flag with whomever is winning at the time. Lol

Wow, Pens are *this* highly thought of....just a month or so removed from the WORST defensive showing in the history of the NHL playoffs....really....I mean really?!?! This is a bad joke....

They looked like dogs in the playoffs, but they didn't play like that the whole season prior to the playoffs. I'm chalking that series up to a fluke, and not underestimating them next season.

@doom88

Well, we all kinda know that Fleury is better than what he showed. I just wonder, was his collapse so complete that his confidence never comes back? Doubtful....but we *can* hope. The Pens defense was brutal in front of him, don't recall seeing so many odd man rushes ever. Funny, they lose their best all round d man in Scuderi 3 years ago....have not won since he left and WHAM, he wins in LA. That guy is really, really underrated.

He is a Cup winner, that alone shows him he can overcome anything I'd imagine. Regardless, they keep giving up 10 odd man rushes a game, it won't matter how Fleury plays....lol.

Very very true. I also think Crosby Lindros'd their roster.

@doom88

Well, we all kinda know that Fleury is better than what he showed. I just wonder, was his collapse so complete that his confidence never comes back? Doubtful....but we *can* hope. The Pens defense was brutal in front of him, don't recall seeing so many odd man rushes ever. Funny, they lose their best all round d man in Scuderi 3 years ago....have not won since he left and WHAM, he wins in LA. That guy is really, really underrated.

Actually the Pens won the Cup the year after Scuderi got high priced in free agency to LA. His last year was the loss to the Wings.

The primary problem was Fleury played too many games. Johnson became unreliable half way through the season and Fleury just played too much. Add that to a poor showing on D from Michalek and Martin, then our "shut down" center Staal's blundering through three games... And you find an unhappy ending in Pittsburgh. Fleury played well from game four period two until game six. He was just out of gas completely and that was his last hurrah for the season. He'll play a lot less this year, which is why they got Vokoun.

@Polaris922 Funny, cause Johnson was one of the better back-ups in the leauge up till last year. Very dependable honest effort kinda guy from what I saw. I don't think anyone could have foreseen his fall from grace being so complete. I do remember Johnson almost stealing the job when Fleury really sucked in Oct/Nov. Not that it every would have been permanent, but there was a short time where Johnson was the go to guy in net due to Fleury looking totally lost. Vokoun is a solid signing....he will help out a lot.

Wow, could have sworn Scuderi won the Cup in Pittsburgh...must have popped that brain cell...lol.

Wow, could have sworn Scuderi won the Cup in Pittsburgh...must have popped that brain cell...lol.

Your brains are fit as ever jammer, Scuderi did win the cup with the Pens.

in fact he made a huge play in the crease against johan franzen in game 6 to preserve the lead in a tight game.

• Like 1

You're both right. Lol. Scuderi left the next year to free agency. he was a solid D man for us but LA came up with the big $$.

As for Johnson he was the best backup i thought as well but this past season he just lost it. No rhyme or reason.

Oh and sorry for the confusion. 12 hours sleep in four days with 16 hour shifts turned what little brain I have into mush. I think I'm better now... Maybe... I dunno why I was thinking that but Mojo's memory snapped me back.