Will LA's Cup win fuel a Flyers run next season?

Guest Phillygrump

Does anyone think that the former teammates of Richards and Carter may use this Cup envy to stay hungry for an entire postseason and bring a Cup Philly?

I would imagine that even though the Flyers are probably fairly happy for Mike and Jeff that they are also jealous and feel like they need to answer with their own Cup run.

This is just a thought, but the mentality of athletes is to be competitive and I think this whole organization is looking at what LA did and saying to themselves "that needs to be us".

Does anyone else think that this may be just the kick in the rear that the Flyers need?

I'd appreciate it if we didn't turn this into a Bryzgalov thread.

@Phillygrump

Nope. The desire to win wasn't the reason why the Flyers lost to the Devils. Injuries play a significant role in the quest for the cup.

That and most of the remaining roster never played with them:

Jagr, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Read, Talbot, Couturier, Rinaldo, Sestito, Lilja, Bourdon (I think), Kubina, Wellwood, Grossman, Harry Z, Bryz

To quote Steven Tyler

"Dream On"

The Flyers will never win the cup

not with bryzgalov in the net... hi yo !

sorry @Phillygrump i couldn't resist, this new kid threw a softball, I had to hit it.

i'm thinking that at some point the way the management thrashes around mixing things up , the talent and good fortune will align and we'll see the flyers win, they've been close. we have a pile of potential on the roster let's see it finally pan out for us.

Does anyone think that the former teammates of Richards and Carter may use this Cup envy to stay hungry for an entire postseason and bring a Cup Philly?

Watching John Stevens eat cake out of the cup this summer will help the Flyers "stay hungry"

@Phillygrump

Nope. The desire to win wasn't the reason why the Flyers lost to the Devils. Injuries play a significant role in the quest for the cup.

I don't mean to allude that effort was the let down this season. Initially I thought that, but it seems like the Devils just got hot at the right time and were able to beat us. What I mean is do you think seeing Richards and Carter win the Cup could be the extra motivation this team needs to stay focused throughout the season and playoffs and get this thing done? Guys like Giroux and Hartnell might be thinking "that will be us next season." I think that kind of hunger can go a long way.

not a troll

im at the end of my rope with this team

i began following them in 85

and "they were going to win a cup within the next 3 years every season, ever since"

Only started following in '85? You've got at least another 10 years of "dues" to pay!! Hope you can handle that.

• Like 1

the flyers have a ton of talent, but its really just offensively at this point. amazing how such a deep D corps looks hollow just a season later.

many teams have a ton of "young" talent waiting to blossom. gotta capture your opportunities when you get them. we'll be contenders for the next decade like every decade since ive been born. no cup for me yet though. eff you guys that have seen one other than on the 25 yr anniversary VHS tape and the 40 yr anniversary DVD.

no cup for me yet though. eff you guys that have seen one other than on the 25 yr anniversary VHS tape and the 40 yr anniversary DVD.

I was 6 and 7 when the two Cups were won, so I can't say that I remember them vividly.....except for being scared sh*tless at the first parade. I do have some memories so I guess that's something, but in some ways I kinda feel like I'm waiting for my first Cup too

@Phillygrump I suppose the guys that did play with Mike, Jeff, Simon and Justin to a lesser extent could use this as additional ammo. This kind of stuff does happen in sports. I firmly believe the Bruins would not have won last year if we didn't come back on them down 3-0. They were pissed and it made them more focused. I'm thinking the pain of losing in that fashion is a bit more severe than watching ex-teammates hoist Lord Stanley, but ya never know....I'll take any kind of edge we can get!

• Like 1

i'm thinking that at some point the way the management thrashes around mixing things up , the talent and good fortune will align and we'll see the flyers win, they've been close. we have a pile of potential on the roster let's see it finally pan out for us.

Kind of like the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut! Just the law of averages suggests that at some point we have to see this alignment happen!