Defensive prospects in the Draft

Guest The Quigster

After acquiring Cooter last year I hope Homer will keep it going with"Building through the draft".Apparently there are a lot great "D" prospects in the first and second rounds, based on the summaries that have been showing up lately. Henrik Samuelson (winger) is getting a lot of attention, anybody here tell us any of these picks? Slater Koekkoek is mentioned a lot. Do any of you guys get to see these young players in games?

I've only seen bits and pieces of a few of these top ranked D, mostly on TV. I follow them mostly from a fantasy perspective based on talking to other people in the game (some sports journalists, scouts) and "research."

Here is my list of who look to be the consensus top 10 D, in alphabetical order, being talked about right now. One or more of these guys should be around at the #20 pick.

Ceci

Dumba

Koekkoek

Lindholm

Maatta

Murray

Rielly

Reinhart

Pouliot

Trouba

Consensus is that Murray and Dumba could go top 5. I personally like Ceci, Koekkek, Maatta and Reinhart, only one of whom might be there at #20.

Honorable mentions (other guys likely available at #20):

Bystrom

Finn

Pelech

Schmaltz

Skeji

Edited by Podein25

@Hexy27

Like I said, I mainly watch this from a fantasy perspective and then from a Flyer perspective. They should take one of those guys on that list at #20 IMO. But it's pretty much a crap shoot anyway, so I'd draft a character guy, hopefully one who has size and mobility and is smart. That's not asking for much now is it?

• Like 1

After acquiring Cooter last year I hope Homer will keep it going with"Building through the draft".Apparently there are a lot great "D" prospects in the first and second rounds, based on the summaries that have been showing up lately. Henrik Samuelson (winger) is getting a lot of attention, anybody here tell us any of these picks? Slater Koekkoek is mentioned a lot. Do any of you guys get to see these young players in games?

With all the young players we have I don't think it's necessary to build thru the draft right now..trade the pick for a stud dman

@, there is a kid who is rated as a late first or early second rounder,his name is Dalton Thrower.Go to you tube and type in dalton thrower highlights,he is a combination of skating,scoring,hitting and fighting.He is an old school Flyer for sure. I was quite impressed with his overall game. Maybe we can draft a couple of dman this year, I'm hoping we move up in the draft by trading JVR and landing a top 5 pick and grab a dman and then get Thrower with our pick.

Dalton Thrower.

Yeah, I should have put him on my list above. I've seen him in the top 20 in at least one list. He's not terribly big - listed as 5'11" by Central Scouting, which could be an old number - so I wonder about his ability to play that kind of game at the NHL level. I could see the Flyers being interested in him.

@Podein25 Hockey News draft preview has Thrower coming in at #29. Played with Colorado first round pick massive Duncan Siemens in Saskatoon. For a guy known for fistifcuffs (fought tough guy Tom Wilson from Plymouth in the Prospects game), he put up respectable offensive numbers 18 goals and 36 assists last year. Interesting prospect, also runs the pp on the Blades. He projects as a two way defenseman. Sounds like he plays Flyer hockey, I'm thinking Homer knows a great deal about this young man. Like you, I wonder about the 5'11 translating to the NHL as a physcial player, but his offensive upside makes me feel a bit more safe, even if he's not overly dominant physically, the other aspects of his game make up for it.

The guy I covet is Olli Matta. Got to see him live 3 times last year and every time he impressed me more than the last. Hockey News has him ranked at #20, but this was printed before his stellar playoff run, putting up huge pts and playing huge minutes before eventually bowing out in the Memorial Cup final. Real, real smart kid plays a smart efficent game. Nice size also at 6'2 and 202. Real dependable first pass, very composed player, makes everything look easy.

Finn is another kid from the OHL who could be there when we pick. A lot like Matta....not flashy but very steady. 6'0 and 195....just average size. He worries me a bit more than Thrower because I'm doubting him being able to move guys from the front of the net with his frame....it's a big part of his game.

I really don't want any more small non descript dman like Carle, and Timo ,guys with absolutely no point shot or physical play and I really don't want some soft euro puss. I want a big hard hitting Canadien with a screw loose in the mold of Behn Wilson. If not , can't we either get a guy with a booming point shot and some offensive skill or a hard nosed,fighting, hitting shutdown guy. I want a dman that you actually notice out on the ice

I really don't want some soft euro puss. I want a big hard hitting Canadian with a screw loose...

LMAO, this is why I love Flyer fans.

I can't say as I disagree, but you're a tad too hard on Timmonen. He plays plenty tough for his size and is hardly a wuss.

Still, your point is most certanly taken.

@jammer2 - re: Thrower, I like him more the more I know about him. And not just his righteous name. A relatively rare type of player it sounds like. From Vancouver, I guess that's ok :)

He's almost certainly available at #20. Maatta, not so much. I still think he could go top 10. I've only heard good things about him and drafted him last year in the 4th or 5th round.

@RonJeremy Ha ha....I miss Behn, screw loose and all! Exactly...that's who I want, a kid who can turn into a beast 2 years from now. Somebody who is smart but makes every opposing forward look behind them and hesitate before barreling into the corner for fear the collision may end their career. WIth so many defensemen in this years draft, chances are the kind of player we both seek will be there for the taking when we pick. It's a nice year for somebody who has huge upside to slide due to the crowded d-man position. Griffin Rienhart would be real, real nice....but will be long gone when we select.

• Like 1

There are definitely some good defenseman available, Im hoping we can get one of the following types of guys

A pure offensive guy with puck skills and a good point shot, since none of our dmen have any kind of point shot at all, a guy who can really QB the PP.

A big hard hitting defensive shutdown guy, who can log big minutes and help our crappy goalie out.

I DO NOT want another guy who makes a good first pass and can skate and nothing else, we have enough of those.

I do like Dalton Thrower- he isnt big, but he can skate, he scores, he fights and he is a right hander which we really need

66 GAMES 18 36 ASSISTS 103 pim

CHECK OUT HIS HIGHLIGHTS, HE WAS BORN TO BE A FLYER

There are definitely some good defenseman available, Im hoping we can get one of the following types of guys

A pure offensive guy with puck skills and a good point shot, since none of our dmen have any kind of point shot at all, a guy who can really QB the PP.

A big hard hitting defensive shutdown guy, who can log big minutes and help our crappy goalie out.

I DO NOT want another guy who makes a good first pass and can skate and nothing else, we have enough of those.

I do like Dalton Thrower- he isnt big, but he can skate, he scores, he fights and he is a right hander which we really need

66 GAMES 18 36 ASSISTS 103 pim

CHECK OUT HIS HIGHLIGHTS, HE WAS BORN TO BE A FLYER

I like those highlights!