Carle to resign for 4.25

Guest Irishjim

(these are not my words, just reporting)

Reports are that both the Flyers management and Matt Carle are close to an extension worth upwards of $4.25M against our salary cap each season.

Holmgren says, "I think he had a good year, he’s a good defenseman, he wants to be here.”

I personally feel Carle is a better d-man than most of us (the fans) give him credit for (or lack thereof). However, at a $4.25M cap hit, Holmgren should think Carle's more than just a "good defenseman." That's a hefty chunk of cap dollars soaking up our books for just a good player.

~ source credit goes to Dustin Leed who spoke with both Carle and Carle's agent, Kurt Overhardt, about the potential deal

It is rumored the extension will be announce on July 1st when the new salary cap takes effect (per Bill Meltzer).

(these are not my words, just reporting)

Reports are that both the Flyers management and Matt Carle are close to an extension worth upwards of $4.25M against our salary cap each season.

Holmgren says, "I think he had a good year, he’s a good defenseman, he wants to be here.”

I personally feel Carle is a better d-man than most of us (the fans) give him credit for (or lack thereof). However, at a $4.25M cap hit, Holmgren should think Carle's more than just a "good defenseman." That's a hefty chunk of cap dollars soaking up our books for just a good player.

~ source credit goes to Dustin Leed who spoke with both Carle and Carle's agent, Kurt Overhardt, about the potential deal

It is rumored the extension will be announce on July 1st when the new salary cap takes effect (per Bill Meltzer).

please god no.. let him walk sign Suter instead

$4.25 is a lot less than I figured Carle could get on the open market. If that's the number (and it doesn't have the requisite NMC and 24-year term) I think it's a pretty good deal for the Flyers.

Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Mesazros and Grossmann is a nice blue line for $23M.

• Like 2

$4.25 is a lot less than I figured Carle could get on the open market. If that's the number (and it doesn't have the requisite NMC and 24-year term) I think it's a pretty good deal for the Flyers.

Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Mesazros and Grossmann is a nice blue line for $23M.

Well, the article says "upwards of $4.25". I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that he'll get more than 4.25. The question is how much more?

If in that ballpark cap hit area, not too many years, no NMC (NTC or limited NTC is okay), the contract could actually be a smart one. And, Carle would be giving the Flyers a hometown discount I think. Maybe the pylon likes it here.

Well, the article says "upwards of $4.25". I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that he'll get more than 4.25. The question is how much more?

So call it $4.5M.

If Matt Carle says no to $4.5M and tests FA for slightly more than $5M, or whatever stupid price the market will bear, I will....well, I will stop defending the stupid jerk!

• Like 2

Translation...the Flyers are commited to being soft on the back end.....sickening. Hmmm, do I wana pay 4 or 5 million for a guy who will just suck up minutes, or do I want to kick in an extra 1 or 2 mill for a real impact player??? Hmmmm....

Edited by jammer2

Translation...the Flyers are commited to being soft on the back end.....sickening. Hmmm, do I wana pay 4 or 5 million for a guy who will just suck up minutes, or do I want to kick in an extra 1 or 2 mill for a real impact player??? Hmmmm....

I am with you on that, Jammer. It's not even the money they are giving him that bothers me..... after all it's just a funciton of what the market value for him is - nothing you can do about that. I don't know who the UFA defensemen (other than Suter) are this year, but I've gotta believe there are players who are more deserving of roughly $5 mil a year. And like you said, just throw an extra $1-2 mil and sign someone who you *know* will not miss assignments, commit turnovers, and fail to clear the puck on a crucial penalty kill.

But without really knowing Homer's line of thinking, one way to look at is that we know the Flyers need to bring one d-man for sure. And if you let Carle walk, suddenly it's 2 more d-men you can bring in. But........ what we have now is Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn, and Grossmann who are locked in. If you give Gustaffson and Bourdon full-time jobs, there are your 6 d-men. At the very worst-case scenario, you go out and bring in a reliable mid-range veteran d-man. Either way, you can do without needing Carle's services.

It may be one of those instances when the Old Man is sticking his nose, again, and telling Homer what to do...

Edited by Mad Dog

@doom88 Just calling them like I see them Doomster. I've seen to much of coughing the puck up at the wrong time. No physical presence, not very smart, just slightly above average on offense....I know it's the going rate for a 3-4 d man.....but how in the hell does his skill set add up to 4 mill plus....sorry...I walk, and walk away quick. This is lame.

I hear you, but don't agree. This isn't good old time hockey anymore. The league is faster, and requires mobile defenseman with positional awareness, shot blocking, stick and puck skills. Defensive turnovers are (amongst other things) a product of shaky chemistry, and with all the injuries to the blueline this season, are understandable from where I'm sitting. Do I like it, hell no. But, I do know it could be a lot worse. When the Flyers do play physical, they either cross the line or get phantom calls - which leads them to play even softer. Tough guys scared into playing soft play terribly. A big bruiser would be nice, but in my opinion, that's a bonus skillset, not a minimum.

I'll take Carle over Phaneuf any day, and Dion is actually mobile with puck skills.

I don't know why Carle specifically has been under the microscope of hate, but its to the point that people aren't giving a fair and reasonable analysis of his play. Several other good defenseman make the same mistakes, but it isn't the end of the world for them.

Let's see what a healthy Mesz and Grossman bring next season. Same if Bourdon makes the roster. That would be one physical defenseman per pairing, pending Lavy's mad science of course.

Phaneuf could very well be the worst d-man in the league bar none, although the big lug Milan Jurcina has to be up there in terms of brutual play. I'd take Carle any day over those stiffs. Carle's particular skill set is easy to nullify when the going gets tough in the playoffs. That's one of my main problems with him....that and costly turnovers...he's just not a smart player IMHO.

@jammer2

just to provide the counter point, i personally don't agree that carle is just above average offensively. 20th in the league in defensive scoring last year. out of 180 defensive slots in the league. that's pretty not bad at all. east to nullify in the playoffs, but was 8th in defensive scoring this spring, out of 96 d-slots total, and having only played in 2 rounds. the guy is in the top 10% of the league offensively. he has more than his share of brain farts with the puck, i don't deny that, but his 55 givaways actually compare fairly ok with guys like girardi (61), doughty (65), chara (68), bieksa (68), yandle (75), burns (75), and john carlson (92). his defense is underrated, really. 15th in the league in blocked shots last season, with 164, easily the most among flyers defenders. grossmann was closest with 152, but next after that was timonen at 129.

he isn't a physical player, is prone to coverage issues now and then, and does cough the puck up more than he should. but. he is in the top section of the league offensively, is actually a high end shot blocker, and his defensive problems with the puck aren't as bad as some notable others. chara is more likely to turn the puck over. for whatever reason, carle gets a lot of hate, but imo he is well worth $4.5mil. pretty much anything you get to replace him will likely be almost as bad defensively, and probably won't have the offense to balance it out.

• Like 1

All valid points, I really had no idea his shot blocking stats were that solid. Give aways are a weird kinda stat. A give away that results in no goals against is obviously less impactful than a give away that ties or loses the game. I'd love to see that kind of stat and see where he fits in, I'm betting he is pretty high on that list.

All valid points, I really had no idea his shot blocking stats were that solid. Give aways are a weird kinda stat. A give away that results in no goals against is obviously less impactful than a give away that ties or loses the game. I'd love to see that kind of stat and see where he fits in, I'm betting he is pretty high on that list.

That brings goaltending in as a factor, in a major way.

For that money, I would do it in a heart beat- and you are right that he is a bit of a whipping boy and better than most give him credit for.

Salvador from NJ at 35 y/o is a UFA. Just saying.

The article posted earlier about Carle made it pretty clear he's one of your best defenseman. In my opinion he Is your best. He's certainly the only one I don't like seeing carry the puck into my zone. Nobody else you have is a threat offensively as Timonen's best days are behind him. Defensively I think he's second only to Coburn.