Zach Parise lets us in on a little secret

Guest Irishjim

Thanks to Matt Brigidi (@mattbrigidi) and his latest write up for The Checking Line - Flyers Edition (@TCLFlyers), it's been pointed out that Elliotte Friedman at CBC Sports had this to share in one of his articles --

"In discussing the New Jersey forecheck about a week ago, Zach Parise gave some insight into what Philadelphia will be looking for. Parise said one of the reasons the Devils successfully pressured the Flyers was the lack of a right-shot defenceman to move the puck on that side. The only one on the roster is Pavel Kubina, who was a healthy scratch for the series."

It's safe to bet Kubina will not be returning to Philadelphia. Because of that, and Parise's edification, the Flyers' major concern/priority is acquiring a right-handed defenseman.

Is this really news to us? Perhaps, or maybe it's what you've argued all along. But it is a breath of fresh air to hear an opponent (especially Parise) point out our weakest link and how the Devils exploited it.

Well, this has been a problem for years, but NJ just figured out how to exploit it to the highest level.

Agreed. Most of us were talking about a right handed shot in the offensive zone (power play & such). I'm not sure any of us were even thinking about the breakout to get out of the defensive zone.

I was actually thinking about all of the Flyers offensive zone possessions that NJ blew up. Philly trapped itself for the Devils.

My point exactly. Everyone thinks of the offensive zone. When you can't breakout of your own zone you have bigger, more complicated problems. Now I'm being redundant.

Agreed. Most of us were talking about a right handed shot in the offensive zone (power play & such). I'm not sure any of us were even thinking about the breakout to get out of the defensive zone.

totally. I can't think of a time when I read or even thought about the lack of righties having an adverse effect on the Flyers ability to get out of their own zone. very interesting and I'm surprised an opponent would even mention it (unless he was planning on coming to the Flyers and hoped they'd address the issue).