Holik rips Flyers for 'being happy' for Kings

Guest Irishjim

gonzalez_complete.png

Bobby Holik spent much of his career antagonizing the Flyers and their fans -- first with the New Jersey Devils, then with the New York Rangers, and then, in the end, with the Devils once more. Now Holik is using the internet to give Philadelphia an online crosscheck.

Holik recently started a blog called Holik on Hockey, and his most recent post -- titled “Calling out the Flyers” (via Deadspin) -- admonishes members of the Orange and Black, as well as the Philadelphia media, “for being happy the Kings won, and even rooting for them after their second round loss to the Devils.”

In one passage, Holik writes that he “can’t see how the Flyers are happy. How could a team who decided Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Simon Gagne couldn’t win in orange and black, feel great about guys who won the second they left Philadelphia?”

Holik goes on to complain that the media should question the organization because “the Flyers have been great at finding great skilled and character players. These kinds of players exist in abundance, but the hard part is maximizing their potential. If one looks back in the last two decades, you would find many players who were put in a tough spot by the organization. They put unreasonable expectations on some of these young men (Eric Lindros) or sign them to ridiculous contracts as far term goes (Richards or Carter) and think their work is done. It’s not.”

I would say Holik was onto something, if:

A) Gagne was traded to Tampa in 2010 first (after playing 10 years for the Flyers) and it was Tampa that proved to not have any patience in him.

B ) Carter didn't sob his way back into Mikey's arms. Remember Holik, Holmgren traded him to Columbus and again it looks like Columbus had no interest in keeping him around.

C) Mike Richards is the only player that was sold short and sent to LA.

Lest we forget, the Kings hardly made the playoffs and it was the strong play of Mike Quick that landed them the cup.

Would this little rant of Holik's exist had NJ won the cup? Even if the Philly media and fans were pulling for the Devils to win? To me it's like the Vader 's of the world have just came out and want to take any angle to rip the Flyers. Last I checked Bobby, 29 teams aren't awarded the cup come June.

The only reason Gagne was traded was because crap teams that can't stay afloat forced these horrible numbers and Holmgren must have failed math class. In a cap free world, MR and SG would still be Flyers. Jeff Carter got us a better return than what Carter had showed Philadelphia his worth was.

This rant from Holik is the only reason I didn't want to see the Kings win it. THE ONLY REASON.

Too bad Bobby played for a team and won cups with a team that has about 27 fans and they didn't even make the front page after any of the wins.

SOB SOB SOB SOB

Edited by Bertmega

Teams can trade players for a number of reasons, including making their own team better.

Did LA assume that Schenn and Simmonds "couldn't win" when they traded them? Did Columbus believe that Jake Voracek "couldn't win" and the draft choice they hadn't even made yet "couldn't win"?

Of course not. Holmgren was very specific in saying that the team "got different" with the trades. I think, as has been noted in many other threads by many posters, that the trade was a kick in the pants for Crater and Richards they wouldn't have gotten here with 10-year NMC contracts.

That said, I *don't* think the Flyers should "be happy" about LA winning. I don't think any team should be "happy" another team won the Cup.

Teams can trade players for a number of reasons, including making their own team better.

Did LA assume that Schenn and Simmonds "couldn't win" when they traded them? Did Columbus believe that Jake Voracek "couldn't win" and the draft choice they hadn't even made yet "couldn't win"?

Of course not. Holmgren was very specific in saying that the team "got different" with the trades. I think, as has been noted in many other threads by many posters, that the trade was a kick in the pants for Crater and Richards they wouldn't have gotten here with 10-year NMC contracts.

That said, I *don't* think the Flyers should "be happy" about LA winning. I don't think any team should be "happy" another team won the Cup.

I was happy Gagne won a cup. I was glad to see Richards win it, I was a fan before he was drafted by Philly. I could give a rats arse if LA won, but I'll take them over jersey. And I couldn't care a less what Holik says.

I was happy Gagne won a cup. I was glad to see Richards win it, I was a fan before he was drafted by Philly. I could give a rats arse if LA won, but I'll take them over jersey. And I couldn't care a less what Holik says.

Like you, I was happy to see Gagne win it. I have some ambivilance about Richards, but am OK with it. I'm happy Williams won his second.

We're fans - I don't think the team should be "happy" another team won the Cup.

• Like 1

Exactly.

I could care less what Bobby Holik thinks. He was a scumbag Devil and a scumbag Ranger. Forget him.

I think Holik is confusing when the Rangers bought out his contract because he was an underperofrming liability and forced him to play in Atlanta with the Flyers trading two players for substantial return.