Nash Trade Discussions Heating Up- Flyers Among Serious

Guest Bakanekimiwa

the flyers have been named among a small handful of teams that are in serious discussions about nash.

what do we think homer is looking at offering here? gotta be some significant pieces, but i'm gonna guess JVR, Bob and several picks.

thoughts?

This is fun. Like throwing darts....

Without any research at all ....... Hartnell, JVR and 1st & 2nd

Seeing as Hartnell has a NTC though... JVR, Schenn and a 1st or 2nd

How's that?

No way that I give them Schenn.

We're helping them unload a huge contract. They can have JvR and a draft pick. Heck, I'd make them take Bob too.

• Like 1

if i am Columbus I am asking for JVR, Schenn, Bobrovsky and probably a first rounder as well...

I hope Schenn isn't involved. still would prefer they go after a defensemen, preferably right handed as parise pointed out lol

I can't figure this one out. My only read would be that Homer wants a dominating set of forwards and is willing to give up assets to acquire a "man mountain" who is probably chomping at the bit to get out of the market. On face, it doesn't make sense. But Homer is part of an organization that has always wanted big dudes up front...

Howie

Howdy:

Here is a recent post.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634809

If we believe NHL and Columbus Dispatch, almost half the league has some interest. Columbus desperately needs scoring so you reckon that this guy has to fetch lots of goals in return.

....so, a pick, Simmonds, Read....maybe even Bobo, for Nash...

Interesting thing on this thread--Howson has the ability to move his number one pick to next year...may do so because LA will be number 30. Ha

Peace,

Howie

at this point, the entire topic is a theoretical one, but if you look at the flyer's lineup... a few things stick out. yes, we need help on D, but it's very unlikely that we'll be signing a suter or weber. so after that, we're looking at depth defensemen which a few of still won't replace Pronger OR his cap hit.

our scoring was pretty solid throughout the season, except when it mattered in round 2's loss to the debbies. now nash isn't gonna be the magic elixir, but having a huge scoring winger can't hurt. when you look at our lines, JVR is pretty much slotted as the 3rd line winger. his cap hit is $4.25m/yr. that's a lot of dosh for someone playing 3rd line minutes(if he in fact is pushed to 3rd line). flipping JVR, bob and some picks for Nash begins to make sense.

you can put Schenn on your 3rd line and let him continue to develop and you have a bonified top scorer on your first and 2nd lines. you've got another big body to go to the net. and you've dumped nearly as much salary by sending $6m the other way.. which i believe coud give us ample room to make the deal.

on the surface, it seems like pie in the sky dreaming, but when you put the pencil to paper... there are a lot of plausibles to a deal. the big question is what it would take beyond JVR and bob.

@NastyNate

If your question is a theoretical one, yeah I'd be ok with Read in a trade package over Schenn. But not this one.

I'm not really for this trade either, I was just saying IF it does go down, would you agree that Schenn CANNOT be involved? I would much rather we use our trade chips to acquire a defensman. But if this does actually happen, I prefer it doesnt include Schenn.

• Like 1

Can Nash play defense?

+1

Exactly why are we focusing on offense....the league is now going back to boring defensive system hockey and we have a 52 Million dollar goalie who cant stop a garbage can lid and thus needs to see as few shots as possible

• Like 2

@Poulin20

I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is smoke and mirrrors, but Holmgren is pretty straight forward with the teams needs.

I can honestly say we are out on Webber and Suter, but there are a lot of quality 2-3 guys that can eat up minutes and keep this team afloat.

I would love another 2 Grossmann's on this team and sell the farm to get them.

Nash, is too expensive for my blood.

Let me ask everyone a question that may make me sound stupid:

Is Nash worth it? I mean is he really that good? I don't follow him that much so I don't know. What kind of difference would he make on our team? Or a better question is what would he add to our team that we don't already have? He's not a whole lot bigger than Couturier...

I'm not really for this trade either, I was just saying IF it does go down, would you agree that Schenn CANNOT be involved?

Agree 100% double N. He was the key to the Richards trade, and he began to impress late in the season after he finally got over the injury bug. Too early to start talking about sending him off

and we have a 52 Million dollar goalie who cant stop a garbage can lid and thus needs to see as few shots as possible

well, what's the best way to make that happen? build a roster focused on defensive zone coverage, which means focused on working while the other team has the puck in the flyers' defensive zone, or....build a roster focused on offensive zone posession, which means focused on keeping the puck 120+ feet away from bryzgalov?

to my mind, any shot at all is a threat to go in on bryzgalov. a team that is set up to deny quality scoring opportunities will still allow not-quality opportunities, and bryzgalov can and will wiff on his usual share of those. the better idea, imo, is to set the team up to control the game and the puck as completely as possible, as far as possible from bryzgalov. that includes defensemen able to hold the offensive zone points well, but overall i think an offense-first strategy is the only hope the flyers have.

@Phillygrump Is Nash worth it? Well, to answer that, you first have to look at career stats.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=55239

The fact is, while playing with some pretty crappy/average players he has totaled 2 40 goal season, one 38 and a pile of 34 to 29 goal seasons. I think everyone can agree he has elite size, skating and moves for a big man. The real question is....how much more will Nash score when paired with similar elite players such as himself. So, you're in the risky business of projecting when trading for a talent like Nash.

I remember vividly when Nash particiapted in international tournies (ie Olympics, World Champs etc)....he stood out, he was faster and hungrier than almost everyone else. He filled the net and did it with authority. Factor in his skill set, add in a player of Claude Giroux's talent and Nash's goal/point totals could indeed sky rocket. Possibely to the tune of 50 goals and 85-90 pts. If he can score 40 goals and 70 pts with a crappy Blue Jackets power play, it makes sense that his totals will blow up in Philly. Sooooo, the Jackets (IMHO) are shopping Nash not at his last years stats, but what he will do for your team nest season when added with your talent.

I have no problem believing Nash would be a top 10 talent/scorer if Philly got him....so that is why the price would be so high. Howsen knows this and so does Homer.

Edited by jammer2

My heart says Nash would be awesome in the O&B. Would love to see what he could do on a team like this as opposed to the do-nothing, go-nowhere Jackets. And I'm from Columbus. Heck, I'd love to see both Nash and Parise playing for the Flyers - at the same time. Can you imagine a line of Parise on the left, Giroux at center, and Nash on the right???? I'd love to see that.

That said, my head is saying go get a defenseman or -men. That's where we need the most help. That's what we need to shore up. Let's hold on to the Schenn's, Read's, Couturier's, even the JVRs. Our offense has the firepower to win us games. Let's keep it young (granted both Nash and Parise are only 27 and could be here for another 7 or so years), develop the talent inside our own system, and resist the urge to dump it all and start over again next season like we have a tendency to do.

Howdy:

Here is a recent post.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=634809

If we believe NHL and Columbus Dispatch, almost half the league has some interest. Columbus desperately needs scoring so you reckon that this guy has to fetch lots of goals in return.

....so, a pick, Simmonds, Read....maybe even Bobo, for Nash...

Interesting thing on this thread--Howson has the ability to move his number one pick to next year...may do so because LA will be number 30. Ha

Peace,

Howie

And Columbus desparately needs a goalie....

I'm thinking if Homer is going after Nash, then he will probably try to sign a dman or two like Backman and the guy from Fla or somethink like that? You figure Suter is out of the picture, so if JVR Bob

and another player go for Nash,then salary wise it's a wash. So there will still be $ left to add a couple of dman.