Nash Trade Discussions Heating Up- Flyers Among Serious

Guest Bakanekimiwa

If he can score 40 goals and 70 pts with a crappy Blue Jackets power play, it makes sense that his totals will blow up in Philly.

like i said, imagine him on giroux's wing. if giroux can turn hartnell into a 67 point guy, nash would be almost a lock for 90-100. then, imagine giroux's numbers with a LW like nash. is 120 reachable?

just thought i would throw this out there...everyone's favorite, eklund, is saying his "sources" tell him the flyers have interest in.....wait for it.......

JAY BOUWMEESTER.

oh boy...

Didn't we have interest in Bouwmeester before we signed Pronger? If we're going down that path, how about we try to get Luke Schenn? He's young and shoots right.

JvR, Bob and picks won't get it done, I don't think. At the deadline last season, Howson was asking the moon and stars for Nash. Also, Nash is an excellent player with some years left, but he's already at or past prime and his production is already sliding. Now, his linemates are world-beaters and the Carter thing didn't work out either, but still -- for the kind of cap hit Nash would bring, and the loss of assets required to bring him, and his age and future projections -- I don't see this as a wise move.

Flyers have really good core of young forwards top-to-bottom. They need defense --1 good solid guy who can play either top or 2nd pair, who can defend well, play physically, and move the puck reasonably.

just thought i would throw this out there...everyone's favorite, eklund, is saying his "sources" tell him the flyers have interest in.....wait for it.......

JAY BOUWMEESTER.

oh boy...

Hey, why not send JvR & Bob to Toronto for Luke Schenn, a back-up goalie & picks?

Or Phaneuf . . .just so he can be teammates with Hartnell. ;)

No trade! Nash reminds me of Ryan Smyth nice player but won't bring cup! If we trade two young fowards then who will pick up scoring? I just think other D-men might be had Klein from NASH,Vlasic from SJ or Giordano from Cal. Look there before overpaying. Carkner like him too need muscle and someone who can play and fight. Hows that Vanflyer

Edited by Jam1986

Sorry this is phone cut and paste so I can't put the link up, but the following came from CSNPhilly:

"Arthur Staple of New York Newsday tweeted that the asking price is 4 or 5 "major pieces" -- plus, Nash would have to waive his no-trade clause. Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan said Columbus wants two quality roster players and two prospects for its star winger (via ProHockeyTalk)."

Also TSN states the Flyboys are indeed involved in talks with Columbus, as are CAR, TOR, NYR, SJ & TOR. So my fear, given the above stated demands, is this thing turns into a bidding war and we actually win.

To be clear, I think pursuing Nash is foolish. BUT it is the off-season so just for sh*ts and giggles....is there a package Homer could put together that would sense on our end (i.e. won't make me puke)? I mean prospects, we're talking what, Gus, bourdon or Wellwood. What 'quality roster player' are we talking about? Do JVR and Bob fill that in Columbus' definition? My guess is that wouldn't cut it, and that's not enough salary dump on our end either.

@sarsippius Maybe we could widen the scope of the trade to fit our needs. Perhaps we ask for Steve Mason, Mark Methot and Rich Nash. We get an experienced back up in Mason (and he still might have a bit of upside, he is still pretty young...maybe with a better defense...), we get a nice physical presence, by all accounts a decent defensive d-man and Nash....who might be paired with Grossman in a shutdown pairing. The question of course is what would Columbus make us give up for that package? I'm thinking JVR, Schenn, Bob, Harry Z, and Bourdon AND this years 1st rounder. I think the Blue Jackets would be interested in Harry's size and skating ability. Like most, I'd like to weasel out of giving up Schenn, to much upside there...but on lthe other hand, I'm 100% convinced Nash would turn into a top 10 player playing with Giroux.....gotta give up talent to get it back.

No trade! Would get rid of JVR though there's something I don't like about him. Homer no kids leave them here. Hartnell don't like him a clown,can't skateand fight like a girl rather have someone else and G would make that player has good. Here's something looking to trade for D-men how about Klein, giordano or Valsic. Headr SJ looking to shake up Nemi and Pavelski to B's for what? Also want Carkner or Konopka here by Jody and Zac

Dude- WTF did you say? Stupid is as stupid does!

I think it's one of those Jumble things, where you get all the words and it's up to you to put them in the right order... ?

@Jam1986 - just kidding. I'm guessing English isn't your primary language - no offense.

OTOH, if English is your primary language, you must go immediately to your high school teachers and beg them to better prepare you for the world.

Twitter rumors this morning

Hockey Insiderr

#CBJ and the #Flyers had a #DEAL on the table, AGREED which would have sent #NASH to Philly. BUT everything is OFF the table. Guess WHY?

10:21 AM 17 JUN 12

#NASH decided to #VETO the trade at the last moment (as of last night). He REFUSES to be traded to the #FLYERS. Not now, not EVER.

I can confirm 100% #CONFIRMED that Nash will NOT waive his NMC to join the #Flyers. Philly has MAX 72 hrs to convince Nash or#NODEAL. #CBJ

But I tend to trust DLeed a lot more than Hockey Insiderr

Dustin Leed@D_LEED

Hate this word, but from separate “sources”… they’ve told me Rick Nash will end up a New York Ranger 9:56 AM 17 JUN 12

How about J V R to Col, and then Schenn to Flyers and nNash to T O , throw Bob in there to Col also .. We get Schenn and keep our pick. T. O. sends a pick and a prospect to Col..

Edited by intheslot
  • Like 1

**** **** **** NO! Not the Rangers. Dammit.

Yeah thats what I thought when an arbitrator was deciding where Lindros was going....turns out losing out on that deal = Rangers Cup.

Let em ship half their team to CBJ

@jammer2

I like the "get" side of your proposal, but Schenn in the "give" basket kills it for me. I like Hartnell, but substitute him for Schenn in that scenario and I'd seriously think about it. That would also help even out the cap numbers exchanged....

But if there's any truth to part one of @jkearse123 's post, he won't come here.....sheesh Nash, Suter, Hamhuis, what do we smell or something. One of the shirts the handed out during the Pens series said "Guess what, we don't like you either" (after Crosby made a few choice comments). I'm gonna keep that shirt handy!

@jammer2

I like the "get" side of your proposal, but Schenn in the "give" basket kills it for me. I like Hartnell, but substitute him for Schenn in that scenario and I'd seriously think about it. That would also help even out the cap numbers exchanged....

But if there's any truth to part one of @jkearse123 's post, he won't come here.....sheesh Nash, Suter, Hamhuis, what do we smell or something. One of the shirts the handed out during the Pens series said "Guess what, we don't like you either" (after Crosby made a few choice comments). I'm gonna keep that shirt handy!

Believe me, Jkearse123 hopes so. I hate the concept of acquiring Nash.

Kuato???

I seriously can't believe people are still after Nash or Weber. They must have been playing fantacy hockey to long. There upset with Briere's, Hartnells, Bryz's Prongers contracts among others and they want to give these two guys 7-8 million each. And in the process, trade away 2-4 of our young players and picks just to get ONE player in return. Sorry, I'll take JVR, Schenn and Harry Z plus our first pick at VERY near the same price as either Weber or Nash by themselves (and only one of them at that)...

• Like 1

I seriously can't believe people are still after Nash or Weber. They must have been playing fantacy hockey to long. There upset with Briere's, Hartnells, Bryz's Prongers contracts among others and they want to give these two guys 7-8 million each. And in the process, trade away 2-4 of our young players and picks just to get ONE player in return. Sorry, I'll take JVR, Schenn and Harry Z plus our first pick at VERY near the same price as either Weber or Nash by themselves (and only one of them at that)...

If ever there was a player that warranted that huge contract it is Weber. You keep using the examples of Bryz, Briere, and Hartnell as bad contracts, but these are guys that were overpaid or seem to be overpaid. Weber is a cornerstone piece. He is worth the big money.