The Flyers need a Goalie !

Guest The Quigster

@hf101

well, when a gm says he got a guy for a specific purpose, that seems pretty...uncontroversial, you know? fleury has been sketchy in the playoffs since the cup win, and fatigue is at least one reasonable cause. bringing in a guy capable of carrying the starting load but at an age where he doesn't have a ton to prove tracks with the statement..

as for vokoun's motivation, i imagine it'll be the same as it has always been: play well when he gets starts. i think people overtalk the idea of motivation when it comes to goalies. it isn't a position where putting your head down and skating hard helps, it isn't a position where taking a shift off has any meaning. goalies don't require external motivation the way a forward arguably might. they have 20,000 people staring at them, and their team is counting on them. an error results in 20,000 people laughing or booing (depending on away or home), and a lockerroom full of guys staring bullets.

earning a starting job probably motivates a younger goalie to work extra hard on his conditioning in the preseason, maybe drives him to stay after practice for more drills to work on weaknesses...but a many year vet goalie has his routine set, has his skills in order, and is going to do what he does. having someone "push him" or a depthchart promotion dangling in front isn't going to make him play any harder or better.

which is to say, i agree with rad, the idea of someone to "challenge" bryzgalov is pointless. fear of losing the starting job will only make him afraid. and that's assuming there is anyway anyone would be allowed to take it from him, which there isn't.

@aziz

fleury has been sketchy in the playoffs since the cup win,

That isn't exactly the case though. Fleury's best season in the playoffs was when they lost the cup prior to winning it. In 08 Fleury posted a 1.97 gaa and a 0.933 save %. The following year when the penguins won the cup his stats were not as good but similar the next two years. Last years crazy high scoring series with the Flyers was more of an oddity rather than the norm.

I get the rational here from Shero's perspective, he is looking for a backup that can win games if needed in the playoffs. Vokoun isn't going to push Fleury, and I wouldn't be surprised, and I expect Vokoun's stats slip while playing many fewer games in the backup role..

I also still think Washington knew that Vokoun can't be counted on health wise, thus chosing to have two young goalies compete for the # 1 spot rather than the Shero approach of having the experienced backup.

which is to say, i agree with rad, the idea of someone to "challenge" bryzgalov is pointless. fear of losing the starting job will only make him afraid. and that's assuming there is anyway anyone would be allowed to take it from him, which there isn't

I don't think Bryz was bothered with any fear that Bob was going to take his job last year, however Bob's stretch of solid play in December actually gave time for Bryz to play with more focus going into Jan and Feb.