Eklund Flyers/Weber rumor

Guest Phillygrump

Per Eklund

In regards to the Nash rumors flying around the Flyers today...I am not saying the Flyers are not in on Nash, but I don't feel he is on top of their list and when it comes to spending that cap hit...the Flyers are far more likely to make a HUGE play for Shea Weber.

I have heard rumor of Flyers/Preds possible deals... one of which could would send JVR, Voracek, Bourdon, and the Flyers next two first round picks. However, the Preds aren't ready to even discuss this at this point. The Preds are still focussed on returning both Weber and Suter at this point, however should the scenery change in the next week or so it appears the Flyers are one of the few team with depth and desire who could offer up two top 6 forwards (which Nashville wants terribly) along with youth and picks.

Take it for what its worth.

I just read this and theres NO FRICKIN' way I do that trade. I'll throw up, scrape it up and eat it then throw it up again. I'll go back to Philly and beat Homer myself (and when I'm done slamming my head into his fist he'll knows who boss!)

• Like 1

@Phillygrump When discussing a possible Weber trade, you have to really examine his worth in regards to the rest of the league. FIrst team pp, booming shot, avid shot blocker, tough as nails, clears the front of the net better than anyone else except maybe Chara, can hurt opposing forwards with legal checks, does work on the pk, beautiful first pass, intimidation factor, he instantly makes everyone else on the ice a foot bigger....he is perhaps the most rounded d-man in the league. The packages other GM's put forward will have lots of present day NHLers, lots of picks and prospects.

It's a case where you really have to give to get. Personally, I think Bourdon is our best defensive prospect. One of the intreguing factors in acquiring Weber is to have him act as a mentor to Bourdon. Realizing it will take a boat load to get Weber, I'm ok with the deal, it leaves our future center ice stars Schenn and Couturier alone....but I want Bourdon taken out...that tips the scales in their favour. With Weber, we upgrade the part of our team that Bryz needs to be a sucessful goaie. A stud like Weber makes Bryz 10% better right off the bat.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

I wouldn't want to see Voracek go in that trade, he's got too many things we need, he's hockey smart, large , right handed, plays wing, strong on the puck like bull, has a really good compete level....i'd consider Read in the that deal though, I know you have to give up quality to get quality back but i think Voras and JvR and Bourdon is too much. we have a lot of depth at forward but much of that depth is a center with guys staying in the line up by playing wing, Voras is a true wing, not a guy waiting to play center.

it will be interesting to see what happens if anything. i'd like for weber to be a flyer but i don't want to cripple the team to do it.

I'd do it for JVR, Read, and a 1st this year and a 2nd next year.

The guy is a RFA and he is due to be an UFA at the end of next season is he not? I think that's fair compensation. Voracek is a RFA as well so I'd be ok moving him if it got Weber in the Orange and Black.

Way too much for 1 player, even if this player is what I think is currently the best 2-way d-man in the league. You just don't trade a quarter of your roster (inlcuding draft picks) for 1 player.

Of course with Eklund reporting this, 95% chance is that it's all hogwash anyway.

Remove Bourdon and I'd do it. It makes space for the young guys to grow.

Jagr G Hartnell

Schenn Briere Simmonds

Couturier Talbot Read

Rinaldo Wellwood Harry Z

Weber Carle

Timonen Coburn

Mesz Grossman

Bourdon to the A for a year, then to Timonen's spot, unless a top 6 D is moved.

Remove Bourdon and I'd do it. It makes space for the young guys to grow.

Jagr G Hartnell

Schenn Briere Simmonds

Couturier Talbot Read

Rinaldo Wellwood Harry Z

Weber Carle

Timonen Coburn

Mesz Grossman

Bourdon to the A for a year, then to Timonen's spot, unless a top 6 D is moved.

Risky 4th line even though I like them all. Talbot isn't old if memory serves but gotta be careful there. Briere WILL be on his down side and IF Jagr signs it will be the last year. And isn't Hartnell up after next year. Gotta be careful how much you give up now. We are rich at foward right now but that can turn on a dime... As far as the D- goes that would be awesome but at what cost? Weber WOULD make Bryz better but also at what cost? That's an 7-8 million tight rope Im not willing walk... But It's Sniders money so he gets to decide what this team will be like for the next 5-7 years or so...

I wouldn't want to see Voracek go in that trade, he's got too many things we need, he's hockey smart, large , right handed, plays wing, strong on the puck like bull, has a really good compete level....i'd consider Read in the that deal though, I know you have to give up quality to get quality back but i think Voras and JvR and Bourdon is too much. we have a lot of depth at forward but much of that depth is a center with guys staying in the line up by playing wing, Voras is a true wing, not a guy waiting to play center.

it will be interesting to see what happens if anything. i'd like for weber to be a flyer but i don't want to cripple the team to do it.

Voracek shoots left.

If the Preds "aren't even ready to discuss" trading Weber, then it seems very unlikely to me that Homer would have already made an offer. Or that the Preds would have already named their price. Typical Eklund nonsense is my guess.

Jack, I think you are absolutely right about this being "typical Eklund nonsense." Honestly, I would LOVE to see Weber in the O&B but I think the Preds are going to wait and see what happens w/ Suter. He is a defenseman that I would lock up long-term but the price would have to be right. I would not give away a slew of 1st rounders, Voracek and JVR for his services. I think you can get another Dman out there that will help at a much lower cost.

I have no problem letting JvR walk but would hate to see Jake leave. We can not keep giving away draft picks IMO... we also are going to have to give G a HUGE payraise down the line...

• Like 1

Jack, I think you are absolutely right about this being "typical Eklund nonsense." Honestly, I would LOVE to see Weber in the O&B but I think the Preds are going to wait and see what happens w/ Suter. He is a defenseman that I would lock up long-term but the price would have to be right. I would not give away a slew of 1st rounders, Voracek and JVR for his services. I think you can get another Dman out there that will help at a much lower cost.

I have no problem letting JvR walk but would hate to see Jake leave. We can not keep giving away draft picks IMO... we also are going to have to give G a HUGE payraise down the line...

That's pretty much how I feel too. I would love to see Weber in a Flyers uniform, but not at the cost of tearing out a significant chunk of the team and giving up two first rounders.

@Polaris922

It would be great not to dismantle a cup contender. Too bad you can't pay all your elite players 4 mil a year. It happens.

Of course, but my point is they may not lose Weber if they have to see Suter go. I'm sure they'll try to resign them both, but as you said its not always possible even with a higher cap.

If the Preds "aren't even ready to discuss" trading Weber, then it seems very unlikely to me that Homer would have already made an offer. Or that the Preds would have already named their price. Typical Eklund nonsense is my guess.

I haven't done the exact math, but wouldn't it seem extremely odd that the Flyers would do that kind of trade (approximately 8m in current cap hit) for one guy - plus a couple of first rounders?

I guess what I am trying to say is that at least of two of those guys would need to be replaced (a 17m a night RW and a prospective 17m a night LW- currently 14M). I can see Wellwood taking JVR's spot at current ability. But I don't see anyone taking Voraceks spot (who I believe is the heir apparrent of #1 RW on the team- whatever line combo that may be).

Then you add in Bourdon who is a potential 3/4 guy. Who is going to fill that whole?

We need help on d-fense, but not to mortgage the team.

I mean I have seen Weber a bit, but he did not carry Nashville to the cup with a stud goalie in net. So why in the world would we think he would be the savior to give up all those assets when we do not have a goalie of the caliber of Renne- and replacements for the assets we would have to give up?? To me, it undoes everything that Homer did last summer.

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

i strenuously agree...

the Defense can be fixed , made better-whatever , without gutting our wings... craig button just said this am you don't fill one hole by creating another. there are guys around and available that can play laviolette's style that won't screw the team long or short term.

homer has shown creativity and large testicles when addressing a need, so while a move for weber might be in his arsenal so is something we're not expecting.

• Like 1

Plus the Preds made a darn good season out of this past year. They were legit contenders. They'll fight dismantling as much as possible.

It's interesting you would comment on that. For Nashville- it is now a mix of cash and assets. They are no longer the over-achieving, well drafting, CASH POOR team that they were. I say interesting because of our dialogue regarding Crosby. I would do Weber / Crosby and sign Suter (nashville side) for 6m straight up. Nashville is desperate for offence. Pitts is desperate for defence.

I'll call Shero if you call Poile! :-P

I mean I have seen Weber a bit, but he did not carry Nashville to the cup with a stud goalie in net. So why in the world would we think he would be the savior to give up all those assets when we do not have a goalie of the caliber of Renne- and replacements for the assets we would have to give up?? To me, it undoes everything that Homer did last summer.

Still, we had two of the top playoff scorers. Imagine if you add some better defense to that team....

I get that Weber, Suter, and RInne didn't get it done in Nashville, but they weren't littered with goal scorers like the Flyers are.