Newest Staal trade rumor...

Guest Polaris922

Penguins Trade Rumors: Jordan Staal Trade Talk Intensifies

By Brendan Porath - Newsdesk contributor

The Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly entertaining trade offers for Jordan Staal.

+1 update and 0 comments below.

Update

Jordan Staal Trade Rumors: Penguins Center Focus Of Pre-Draft Trade Talks

Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal has been one of the bigger names at the heart of this offseason's trade talks. The Staal rumors warmed up again recently, with Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reporting a particular offer the Carolina Hurricanes have put on the table for Staal. Ray Shero may have a decision to make in advance of this weekend's Draft. Kevin Allen of USA Today considers Staal, Roberto Luongo, and Rick Nash the three biggest names who could be on the move during Draft weekend:

With the draft in Pittsburgh, the Penguins would love to have Carolina's No. 8 pick to make a splash for fans and to give their prospect list a boost. The Hurricanes also have some desirable defensemen, including last year's first-rounder, Ryan Murphy.

While Rossi's report confirmed a potential deal, the rumors surrounding Staal will only heat up as the week progresses.

For more news, analysis, and discussion of the Staal trade rumors and the upcoming NHL Draft, visit Pensburgh.

Jun 19 8:00a by Brendan Porath

Original Story

Penguins Trade Rumors: Jordan Staal Trade Talk Intensifies

by Pat O'Mahony

The speculation has been out there for months, and possibly years, concerning the future of Jordan Staal and the Pittsburgh Penguins. With their depth at center and the impending contract extension of captain and superstar Sidney Crosby, the Penguins are nearing crunch time concerning the future of Staal. Some speculate that Staal could command at least $7 million a season, the Penguins may not be in a position to play hardball with the two-way center. A trade may be the only answer for GM Ray Shero if the Pens cannot extend Staal this summer.

Last night, trade talks became more concrete when Trib beat writer Rob Rossi cited an unnamed league source who claimed the Carolina Hurricanes are offering Justin Faulk, Brandon Sutter, and the No. 8 overall pick this season, for Jordan Staal and Paul Martin.

As always, this should be taken with a grain of salt, but if true, the Pens should really think about making a deal like this. Being able to bring in some young talent and emptying Paul Martin and his salary on someone else are a plus. Yes, Jordan Staal is extremely talented and deserves to be a first-line center somewhere. Unfortunately, he'll probably never get that chance with the Penguins. I'm not in the "trade Staal" camp, but a deal like this cannot be overlooked. I would rather get something in return for Staal now rather than watching him walk in free agency next summer.

For more on the Penguins, check out PensBurgh.

Jun 18 2:29p

Edited by Polaris922

Hmm... I don't know that I'm fully on board with that return, but I'm all for getting Martin the he|| out of here ASAP! I'm not in the "trade Staal" camp by any means, but I do think that he's definitely overvalued by a lot of people. That said, he was one of our best playoff performers this past year, for what it's worth. I had heard a rumor over the weekend of Staal, Despres, Morrow and our first to Nashville for Weber and a second, but I can't remember the source so take it for what it's worth. And honestly, I think that's giving up way too much for Weber, regardless of his caliber. That rumor also goes against the logic and belief that Shero wants to make a splash in the first round.

Meh...