TSN says Duck's Bobby Ryan available!

Guest The Quigster

@doom88 I think it would take an additional top up for the Flyers to make this deal happen. Fact is, Bobby already has 4 30 goals seasons under his belt, did it from his rookie year (in 64 games to boot) with 31 and has a 3 more season over 30 to his credit. He has a 70 point season on his resume also. Much more proven guy than JVR, who has a boatload of potential, but that's it...so his trade value is not even with Ryan. Bobby has already reached the plateau that JVR is striving to reach. It might take the Flyers #20 overall to even up this deal, or a package of second and or 3rd rounder with a roster player thrown in as well, a Welly, Harry Z or someone of that nature.

I'd rather keep Wellwood and include Harry Z. Obviously this is all speculation. Is Ryan even really available? This is the time of year where all these crazy rumors are running rampant and Toronto is always rumored to be in talks about every player.

And we all dream....

A cap miracle and ignoring defense.

Not a cap miracle. If you send JVR that way, there is 4.1m and don't resign Jagr (as Ryan instantly plays with Giroux). Your RW are then Ryan, Voracek, Simmonds. In that order.

Sadly, JVR will not get that deal done. I guess my question would be why would Anaheim give away a 30g scorer for another forward? Their offense is not great (but much better than LA's), but their defense is the same as ours. Fortunately, we had the second most potent offense in the league- Anaheim was 17th.

JVR, Bob and our 20th to the Ducks for the Cherry Hill boy? I would love him on our team!!

That package would bring in a heck of a defenceman (which we badly need) over yet another forward (which we are probably deepest in the league).Would Ryan be an upgrade over JVR? Sure. But it wouldn't help us as much as a defenceman would. And if I'm trading that package, I want help, not gravy.

And why does Anaheim want to trade him so bad?

That package would bring in a heck of a defenceman (which we badly need) over yet another forward (which we are probably deepest in the league).Would Ryan be an upgrade over JVR? Sure. But it wouldn't help us as much as a defenceman would. And if I'm trading that package, I want help, not gravy.

That is the real question fc...........I would like to have Bobby Ryan as a Flyer but we need a d-man way worse than a forward. If you can get him for JVR and a pick(not the 1st rounder), I would be ok with that. The Flyers are still going to need a defenseman and the cost becomes a player like Schenn or Cooter, neither of which I want to see go. If JVR has shown anything in his time wearing the O&B, it is that he is expendable yet has enough potential to be wanted by a other teams.

FC, as much as I'd like to see JVR packaged to get a number one defenseman, I just don't see any team trading away their number one or top 4 defenseman. I think Holmgren will have to go the free agent route to get a top 4 defenseman. As for Ryan, if it took JVR and a pick to get him then I'd say go for it. If you have Ryan who is a right-handed shot playing on a line with Giroux then the Flyers don't have to resign Jagr and I believe Ryan is signed for another 3 years where as JVR is signed for the next 6 years. Ryan is more durable and has proven he can score at least 30 goals per year, not to mention he'd probably score a lot more playing with Giroux. I think Anaheim has come to realize that they can't keep all three going forward so Ryan looks to be the odd man out.

• Like 1

JVR, Bob and our 20th to the Ducks for the Cherry Hill boy? I would love him on our team!!

That would be a gross overpayment. No thanks. I never understood the fascination with Ryan. He's alright, but it would be a waste of resources to go after him instead of addressing the blueline concerns.

• Like 1

A cap miracle and ignoring defense.

This team isn't exactly built for defense first.

I say make it happen.

The kid skates marginally better than Hartnell, though. Might have to call that line the "down" line or "man down" line. :)

They have a really promising young player in the AHL that is set to come up this next season. Maybe they just think he makes someone expendable.

I would have thought about trading Getzlaf (older player). He had a really down year last year.

He would be a nice addition to the Flyer's line up. If Homer want to show how clever he is,now would be the time!

If this rumor is reality, they almost have to pull the trigger. Giroux needs a winger that can keep up with him and finish. It would likely take JVR and our #1 pick this year to get it done.

I agree Brel that's a bit of an overpayment - it would be a *serious* overpayment if JVR had shown he'd found some consistency by now. Unfortunately he's still Mr. "Potential." If he lives up to it his contract looks like a smart deal; if he doesn't, for whatever reason, $4.25 million will hang around us like an anchor till 2018.

Bobby Ryan is a proven commodity whereas JVR is certainly not, which leads me to one reason why this deal makes no sense: Why would the Ducks want JVR for Ryan, even if they were getting a 1st rounder and a young, promising goaltender?

We've been hearing "Ryan to be traded" for as long as he's been in the NHL...

• Like 1

I agree Brel that's a bit of an overpayment - it would be a *serious* overpayment if JVR had shown he'd found some consistency by now. Unfortunately he's still Mr. "Potential." If he lives up to it his contract looks like a smart deal; if he doesn't, for whatever reason, $4.25 million will hang around us like an anchor till 2018.

Bobby Ryan is a proven commodity whereas JVR is certainly not, which leads me to one reason why this deal makes no sense: Why would the Ducks want JVR for Ryan, even if they were getting a 1st rounder and a young, promising goaltender?

We've been hearing "Ryan to be traded" for as long as he's been in the NHL...

For me it's more about wasting our best trading chips - JVR, Bob - on a position where we're already strong. Would Ryan be an upgrade over JVR? At this point in time, absolutely!

But, I can live with JVR and give him more time if that means trading Bob, #1 pick - and even JVR - etc for a top 4 defenseman.

• Like 1