TSN says Duck's Bobby Ryan available!

Guest The Quigster

Palmeri, yes, he does look good.

Agreed, but again, we need to focus on D. Oh well, maybe If Homer spends enough time talking with ANA Sbisa's name will come up!

Or just sign Justin Schultz...that's another thread...

That would be a gross overpayment. No thanks. I never understood the fascination with Ryan. He's alright, but it would be a waste of resources to go after him instead of addressing the blueline concerns.

An unproven commodity with potential, a backup goalie and a low first rounder is "gross overpayment" for a player with 4 30-goal seasons under his belt who's signed for three more seasons?

I, personally, would pull that trigger in a heartbeat. I think Anaheim would be top drawer NUTS to do it.

It might take the Flyers #20 overall to even up this deal, or a package of second and or 3rd rounder with a roster player thrown in as well, a Welly, Harry Z or someone of that nature.

JVR, Harry Z, a low first and a second/third?

I could be wrong (Kovalchuk was dealt for a pile of rancid dingo's kidneys) but I just think Anaheim is Chock-Full-O-Nuts if they take that for Ryan.

I think Ryan's "on the trading block" in the "if you would like to pony up a tremendous deal you can have him" sort of way - not a "we gotta get this 30-goal scorer off the roster" sort of way.

@AndyS

If you're talking about Palmeri, yes, he does look good. But does that mean they have to get rid of Ryan? And it seemed like they wanted to trade him a year ago, before Palmeri was ready.

Not Palmieri. Emerson Etem. The kid has the makings of a future NHL star.

Edited by AndyS

Not Palmieri. Emerson Etem. The kid has the makings of a future NHL star.

Ya, I hope the Flyer fans that were all gaga over getting Pronger for ONE season enjoy watching him play. The Ducks took him with Phillys first rounder.

Offer em' Hartnell and Voracek. I have a feeling the first line without Jagr is going to be a lot different. No trade agreements can be dealt with.

How, exactly, can "no trade agreements be dealt with"?

Oh, right, just tell the player they are no longer wanted here.

At which point the player says they refuse to be traded to Anaheim but are willing to go to a list of teams who will either not deal with you or not give you very much.

Now you have an angry player and no deal with Anaheim.

Brilliant.

If I'm Anaheim, I want Simmonds over Voracek.

But, of course, other teams are only in business to give the Flyers one-sided deals that primarily benefit the Flyers. OK, fine, Columbus. But there are 28 other teams...

@Vanflyer But it gurantees that the Ducks win a Cup next year if we trade a player to them. Haven't you been keeping up?

I forgot!! Thanks for reminding me? How is the weather down there?? It has been pouring like cats and dogs here for DAYS!!

An unproven commodity with potential, a backup goalie and a low first rounder is "gross overpayment" for a player with 4 30-goal seasons under his belt who's signed for three more seasons?

I, personally, would pull that trigger in a heartbeat. I think Anaheim would be top drawer NUTS to do it.

Maybe "gross overpayment" was too strong. I still think it would be overpayment. JVR and Bob OR the #20 overall pick, and maybe a guy from the farm. And I guess I'm looking at it more from overpaying based on a position of strength up front.

If we did make that trade (say JVR, Bob and #20 overall for Ryan), what do you do to address defense?

The salaries even out in that trade, and it looks like we won't re-sign Jagr. Keep in mind that we will likely extend qualifying offers to Voracek, Harry Z, Bourdon, and Sestito.

If we re-sign Carle for the estimated $4.5M or so, we're right up against the cap again. Of course, this excludes the LTIR relief we will get if Pronger doesn't play, but can't dip into until the season starts.

So, we get an upgrade to JVR in Ryan, we lose Jagr, we lose a backup goalie, and did nothing to our defense.

If we re-sign Carle for the estimated $4.5M or so, we're right up against the cap again. Of course, this excludes the LTIR relief we will get if Pronger doesn't play, but can't dip into until the season starts.

So, we get an upgrade to JVR in Ryan, we lose Jagr, we lose a backup goalie, and did nothing to our defense.

You "upgrade" JVR for less than $1M more.

Bob is slated to make $850K this season (plus bonuses) so it should be possible to replace that.

The Flyers would still have around $8M in available cap space under this plan to sign a D, backup G and retain RFAs..

You can use Pronger's $4.9M (or most of it) in the off-season as part of the 10% off-season cap allowance. This could bring it up to $12-13M in available space.

Again, I'm not saying that I would do the deal, I'm just saying that I don't think JVR/Bob/20 is "gross overpayment" for a player who hasn't scored less than 30 in a full season in the NHL - ever. And, if I am Anaheim, I'm keeping Ryan in lieu of a better deal under those circumstances.

I have a concern about a successful player that the team is apparently "eager" to deal and have another worry about bringing Ryan "home" (most Sabre fans I know don't really want Kane in Buffalo, for example - "home" can be distracting what with the taxicabs and such). But Ryan being signed for three seasons is an attractive option, as is the option of putting him on Giroux's wing.

You "upgrade" JVR for less than $1M more.

Bob is slated to make $850K this season (plus bonuses) so it should be possible to replace that.

The Flyers would still have around $8M in available cap space under this plan to sign a D, backup G and retain RFAs..

You can use Pronger's $4.9M (or most of it) in the off-season as part of the 10% off-season cap allowance. This could bring it up to $12-13M in available space.

I don't get where they have $8M in cap space. Qualifying our RFAs and signing Matt Carle takes all of that $8M. Sure, you could let Carle walk and sign another defenseman, but then you'd have to clear additional space for a guy like Suter if that's what you're targeting because the Pronger space won't be available yet.

I don't get where they have $8M in cap space. Qualifying our RFAs and signing Matt Carle takes all of that $8M. Sure, you could let Carle walk and sign another defenseman, but then you'd have to clear additional space for a guy like Suter if that's what you're targeting because the Pronger space won't be available yet.

Well, yes, they need to use that remaining $8M to sign a D, backup G and retain RFAs, as I said.

So Carle, Voracek, Z, etc. does, in fact, eat up a lot of that.

That gives them Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann and Bourdon/Lilja/Gustaffsson/etc. on the blue line. I'm really not so much worried about the PLAY of the blue line as much as its durability and being ready for the playoffs.

Up front Briere, Hartnell, Ryan, Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, Talbot, Schenn, Read, Sestito/Rinaldo/Wellwood.

I dunno 'bout you, but I kinda like that look. Thin fourth line, but enough youth on the top to eat up some extra minutes and...

And they can "use" Pronger's $4.9M in the off-season to sign players because you can be 10% above the cap in the off-season and they have about that much room after Walker and the AHL 2-ways are calculated in. Assuming they assume Pronger's not coming back.

If they do the smacked-ass obvious thing and CUT SHELLEY NOW they get another cool $1.1M.

Which is, really, an additional $6M "available" (unless, for example, you give Voracek a longer term, higher money deal) IF they want it.

Ya, I hope the Flyer fans that were all gaga over getting Pronger for ONE season enjoy watching him play. The Ducks took him with Phillys first rounder.

I never realized that. Ugh.

Although if Pronger doesn't get hurt, I'm still more than happy with the trade.

If they do the smacked-ass obvious thing and CUT SHELLEY NOW they get another cool $1.1M.

can teams actually do that? cut anyone they want and the $$ comes off the cap? somehow i can't believe anything is that easy in an NHL contract.

I think they can do it in football - players don't have "guaranteed money" the way (i thought) all NHL players do - so you can just cut someone from your squad and the paychecks stop. But in the NHL? Is that allowed? Enlighten me please! thanks