Steroids in NHL

Guest phlfly

Do you think LA players were using steroids?

I think they did indeed. Just look at thier perfect record in the playoffs.

Do you think Bryzgalov was using quaaludes, mushrooms and ether? Cause he sure looked like it.

• Like 1

I guess nobody is taking as serious, well when this scandal came about barry bonds and sammy sosa, also nobody believed, but then it's became an issue.

LA record is not perfect? 20 games and only four loses, and is it not perfect? It's perfect and phenomenal record.

I guess nobody is taking as serious, well when this scandal came about barry bonds and sammy sosa, also nobody believed, but then it's became an issue.

LA record is not perfect? 20 games and only four loses, and is it not perfect? It's perfect and phenomenal record.

phlfly...perfect would be zero losses. It's a pretty damn impressive run, there's no doubt about it. But it's not perfect. And if these guys were cheating, why were they so mediocre for most of the regular season? I mean they barely made the playoffs.

I guess nobody is taking as serious, well when this scandal came about barry bonds and sammy sosa, also nobody believed

Dude, Barry Bonds was a skinny punk whose body grew muscles that would never occur naturally on that kind of frame. Not to mention his skull freakin grew to the size of a basketball. Sammy Sosa was an ok player who suddenly started cracking 50-60 home runs out of nowhere. What ridiculous individual feats did LA players accomplish on the ice cause you to make this assertion?

Maybe you didn't believe it with Bonds, Sosa, etc... But everybody else already knew it. Except for the commissioner of MLB of course.

And "perfect" would be zero losses, not four losses. Excellent, yes. Perfect, no.

Edited by JackStraw

Other than for faster healing purposes, there isn't much point to hockey players taking roids. Who wants to carry all that extra muscle mass around with them on the ice?

The other thing is that, since hockey is an Olympic sport I would assume that the players are subject to random testing under the rules of the IOC. So they'd be taking a big risk.

@JackStraw

Yeah I assume.

I honestly don't think 'roids have ever been commonplace in hockey circles. The only guys I ever encountered taking roids were not doing it for hockey reasons. They were typically big, slow-footed, slow-witted D-men who wanted big biceps to impress the girls at the bar after games.

If you were going to "cheat" blood-doping or whatever would make way more sense. THAT I could see the value of.

If you were going to "cheat" blood-doping or whatever would make way more sense. THAT I could see the value of.

I don't know that blood doping would be all that helpful for a hockey player. Basically it increases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, which improves your ability to generate energy at a moderate pace for prolonged periods of time. The energy needed for the shorter, more intense bursts in a hockey game comes more from blood sugar and energy stored directly in the muscles. Blood doping is probably of limited value unless you really perform the kind of endurance training that increases the muscle's ability to actually use the extra oxygen that the blood delivers. So I'm kind of doubtful that it would be of any real benefit to hockey players.

I actually studied this stuff in grad school, but it was a long time ago.