Making a case to trade for Bobby Ryan

Guest Irishjim

So if these rumors are true that Philly is interested in dealing for RW Bobby Ryan, then I am for it.

You may argue his $5.1m cap hit is much too large, especially for the Flyers who battle the cap's ceiling like the common cold. But consider this; in his last four seasons, Ryan's missed ONE regular season game, so his durability is unreal.

Not counting his 5G 2008-09 rookie season, Ryan averages 32.75 goals a season. You wing that sort of production on a line centered by Claude Giroux? Then, my friends, we're talking about Bobby scoring 40+ goals in a regular season.

You've heard me push that we need a pure-goal scorer for 'Roo. Bobby Ryan comes cheaper than Nash, likely cheaper than Parise, and 3 more years on his 5yr contract.

The prosecution rests its case.

So if these rumors are true that Philly is interested in dealing for RW Bobby Ryan, then I am for it.

You may argue his $5.1m cap hit is much too large, especially for the Flyers who battle the cap's ceiling like the common cold. But consider this; in his last four seasons, Ryan's missed ONE regular season game, so his durability is unreal.

Not counting his 5G 2008-09 rookie season, Ryan averages 32.75 goals a season. You wing that sort of production on a line centered by Claude Giroux? Then, my friends, we're talking about Bobby scoring 40+ goals in a regular season.

You've heard me push that we need a pure-goal scorer for 'Roo. Bobby Ryan comes cheaper than Nash, likely cheaper than Parise, and 3 more years on his 5yr contract.

I'm for Nash or Ryan. Ryan sounds better to me. You pleaded your case nicely. Now make it happen.

That just means that with our luck, he's due for some kind of big breakdown, nagging injury sort of thing, that will take him out for about half the season. Ha. Joking. But maybe only just a little. Overall, I agree with your post.

Wait until he meets Jim McCrossin :P

Edited by krasy
  • Like 3

I would LOVE to see Bobby Ryan with the Flyers.

He doesn't have the speed of JvR, but he puts the puck in the net and is a big, physical presence.

And his cap hit is almost $3 million less per year than Nash. And he is younger than Nash.

Bobby it is time to come home!

I say JVR, Carle and pick...does that get er done?

Seriously, I like this idea a hell of alot better than trading for Nash. My only concern is that Homer neglects the defense again.

Poor JVR... Every time there is a trade rumor - albeit the most improbable one - one thing is constant: it's JVR who is getting traded. I think even JVR himself at this time came to terms with the fact that he is going to be traded. Can you imagine if he is reading this forum every day? lol

@Mad Dog JVR himself is to blame, injuries are one thing, but even when healthy he plays like he does not love the game. Uninspired is the way I see it....except of course that brief stint in the playoffs last season. That showed us what he is capable of, so when he comes in under the bar of the standard he himslef set, well....that's on him. He needs to play with desperation....something we rarelly see from the kid, which makes me question how much he loves the profession he has chosen for himself.

@Mad Dog JVR himself is to blame, injuries are one thing, but even when healthy he plays like he does not love the game. Uninspired is the way I see it....except of course that brief stint in the playoffs last season. That showed us what he is capable of, so when he comes in under the bar of the standard he himslef set, well....that's on him. He needs to play with desperation....something we rarelly see from the kid, which makes me question how much he loves the profession he has chosen for himself.

Yip. And that's pretty much the read on him since Philly drafted him. He's played 235 NHL games, including playoffs. And out of those he's played about 23 with any sign of passion. The guy could be a really good player if he wanted to. He's got God-given size, skill, skating ability. I just honestly don't believe he loves the game.

Let's face it, he's easy to hate for a whole host of reasons.

I remember a time when two-time Cup winner Justin Williams just "didn't love the game"... He was "easy to hate" too. But at least the traded him for Danny Markov who contributed to almost getting to the Finals, once. Then we decided not to re-sign the player we traded our first round "disappointment" for because he was "going back to Russia" - which he did, in fact, do two seasons later...

Oh, yeah, that was the year Ruslan Fedotenko scored the Cup-winning goal for Tampa Bay - the first of his two Cups.

Flyers did get Pitkanen for Fedotenko, though. Pitkanen, of course, just "didn't love the game" and many people here hated him with ease. He was dealt for Smith and Lupul who was eventually translated into Pronger and an honest-to-goodness Finals appearance not to mention a $4.9M LTIR cap credit for the next five years...

So we got that going for us.

Also, too, Cup-winning Denis Seidenberg "couldn't play". Many found it easy to hate him. Thank God we got "shutdown center" Petr Nedved for him.

And now JVR just "doesn't love the game" and is "easy to hate."

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Maybe it's not the players?

@radoran

I don't hate JVR. I'm even one of the "let's see where his upside takes him" guys, though I would trade him in a package for a good defenceman. But it sure would be nice to see a pulse out of him when he plays more than once every hundred shifts. He plays hockey like most people ride a subway.

• Like 1

I think most know, historically, I've been on the side of "don't trade JVR, have some patience". As the years pass by, and the uninspired play pro-longs, it only makes sense to entertain the thought of dealing him to upgrade a weak point on the team. As I see it, this is the year that determines whether JVR is a legit power forward or career 3rd liner. It would be a shame to be on the losing side of that proposition and have his value vastly diminish before our eyes. Is dealing him a calculated risk, yes....most certainly. But should it not be at least explored, the team would be having a disservice done to it. I'm thinking Homer knows this all to well.

@radoran, so what you are saying is that best chance any of the current Flyers have of winning the Cup is to be traded. And it would explain why Nash allegedly said he doesn't want to go to Philly, he is superstitious.