Flyers to Waive Bobrovsky?

Guest OH1FlyersFan

@flyerrod

whew. i thought i was going crazy for a second.

ok, yeah, i see what you are saying. and i think that would be an issue for some younger goalies: not wanting to come to a team where they are definitely going to be stuck on the bench. clemmensen, though, is 34. he is a career backup -a good one- and knows it. the fact he'd be coming in specifically to be the #2 unless something happened to bryzgalov wouldn't give him pause. it'd be the point, really.

@flyerrod

whew. i thought i was going crazy for a second.

ok, yeah, i see what you are saying. and i think that would be an issue for some younger goalies: not wanting to come to a team where they are definitely going to be stuck on the bench. clemmensen, though, is 34. he is a career backup -a good one- and knows it. the fact he'd be coming in specifically to be the #2 unless something happened to bryzgalov wouldn't give him pause. it'd be the point, really.

Never realized he was already 34! so that just might work. I would Jeff Gillooly Bryz myself if he can't stop the puck this coming season.......

well, maybe because bob would slot under gustavsson and right over raycroft on the sv% column?

imo, clemmensen is the way to go.

maybe if you are only considering sv%. But Clemmensen did spend a significant portion of last season on the IR. Considering age and health, I would rather Bob be Byrz's backup.

I see the whole trade Bob scenario as a huge risk. There isn't any guarantee any of these other UFA's would sign with the Flyers. We know what we have in Bob, I can't imagine him being worse than he was last season, especially in a contract year.

maybe if you are only considering sv%. But Clemmensen did spend a significant portion of last season on the IR. Considering age and health, I would rather Bob be Byrz's backup.

if i remember correctly, he missed october with a preseason knee injury, and was good to go the rest of the way. 25 starts is a pretty good workload for a backup who missed a month.

and i'm not only considering sv%. i'm considering 2 other things, too. 1 is that bob does have trade value, while clemmensen can be had for a contract. 2 is that bob is still a kid who is still figuring out how to play the position in the NHL, whereas clemmensen is a vet who knows the game and more specifically the role of backup thoroughly. i'd rather my team's backup not engage in on the job training if my plan does not include possibly promoting him to starter. if he is just there to be the backup, then i want a guy who knows what he's about right now.

and then there is save percentage. and goals against average. those count, too. in both cases, clemmensen was head and shoulders above bob. .913 versus .899, 2.57 versus 3.02. and clemmensen played for freaking florida.

i'm sorry. more experienced in general + more experienced as a backup + accepting of the role + more effective overall = clemmensen being the stronger option. even if you throw in the "- missed last october due to injury" the result is the same. it would be different if bob was a possible flyers' goalie of the future, but he isn't. right here right now, it makes little sense to go with the weaker choice.

2011-12_UFA_Goalies.png

I saw this chart of goalies on the market as of Monday. Since then Harding has been signed. Could anyone please tell my why Holmgren would trade Bob and sign one of these UFA's available?

Maybe Montoya, but geez. Bob isn't going anywhere this year.

I truly feel Bob is a starter in this league, he has the skill, athleticism, and work ethic to be a very capable goalie. That being said, he NEEDS playing time to improve. He shouldn't be on the bench in the backup position. Some guys know their role and play that position well, some guys don't. If the Flyers can get value out of him they should pull the trigger. This draft class is stocked in terms of defensemen and flipping Bob for a 2nd rounder would be huge considering he was an undrafted UFA signing. If we can package that pick and 20th overall to move up a bit and get a solid prospect I'm all for it. Even using the 20th overall and whatever 2nd could pay dividends.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 1

@

I seem to recall that Florida lost to the Devils in a double OT in game 7.

i'm sorry. more experienced in general + more experienced as a backup + accepting of the role + more effective overall = clemmensen being the stronger option. even if you throw in the "- missed last october due to injury" the result is the same. it would be different if bob was a possible flyers' goalie of the future, but he isn't. right here right now, it makes little sense to go with the weaker choice.

maybe. But I didn't think Clemmenson played that much until almost Jan. I know he got most of the games when Theodore was injured. I'm not sure Clemmenson would have those same stats with the way the Flyers d played last year. He only won 14 of 30 games. In addition Florida plays a much tighter defensive game than Philly. And Bob's stats were not as poor the year before.

I still would rather keep Bob.

@

maybe. But I didn't think Clemmenson played that much until almost Jan. I know he got most of the games when Theodore was injured. I'm not sure Clemmenson would have those same stats with the way the Flyers d played last year. He only won 14 of 30 games. In addition Florida plays a much tighter defensive game than Philly. And Bob's stats were not as poor the year before.

I still would rather keep Bob.

@hf101,

Don't forget that Clemensen carried the Devils a couple years ago when Brodeur went down with an arm injury.

wait, now florida was a better defensive team than philly?

I didn't say they were a better defensive team, but they did play a more defensive game.

I really have nothing against Clemmensen, but if you trade away Bob at the draft.....come July 1, Clemmensen could choose to sign for more money elsewhere......there would be no guarantees the new backup would be better than Bob.

If you consider both of the Flyers' goalies had horrible stats last year.....some of that blame must be placed on the team play in front of them. I would expect that is an area for improvement planned for training camp as Laviolette makes changes to his system.

@hf101,

Don't forget that Clemensen carried the Devils a couple years ago when Brodeur went down with an arm injury.

Yes he did, Boucher had a few decent seasons as a back up also, but his play last year wasn't that impressive. At least with Bob the team knows what to expect. Being a contract year for Bob next season's play is critical to his future. I believe he has the work ethic to improve upon those stats next season.

I really have nothing against Clemmensen, but if you trade away Bob at the draft.....come July 1, Clemmensen could choose to sign for more money elsewhere

so you throw a 5th round pick at florida on draft day and start talking to clemmensen early.

At least with Bob the team knows what to expect.

do they? he's had two seasons, one flawed but with lots of promise, the other never got itself off the ground. one pretty good, one not so much. based on what we've seen, how can anyone claim to know what to expect from bob? his future is anywhere from vezina winner to backup in the KHL. and that is why you don't go to him as the backup, if there is no real payoff to the gamble.

@hf101

or that columbus is auditioning for the goalie-of-the-future role, having little faith in mr mason. which is exactly not the situation that the flyers are in. the are guys who are better answers for different teams, depending on the teams' circumstances.

@hf101

or that columbus is auditioning for the goalie-of-the-future role, having little faith in mr mason. which is exactly not the situation that the flyers are in. the are guys who are better answers for different teams, depending on the teams' circumstances.

Mason seemed to find his game last season when he switched pads. I would expect he will play with the larger pads. next season too.

Thus it seems a lot to give up for a goalie nor worthy of being a backup.

@hf101

in all seriousness, if the horrific play from mason for the past few years was because his pads were a couple inches shorter above the knee, then he is the world's dumbest person, ever.

he did play better, but there is no way columbus can be confident that his issues are solved. plus, it really isn't all that expensive. if i'm reading it right, a mid-2nd rounder and a pair of 4th rounders. that's like a 33% chance of an NHL player, plus 2 10% chances. they didn't exactly sell the moon.