Does Homer go Long- or Short-Term for Strategy?

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I am sure you've been reading the Inquirer and whomever about our lack of D, Pronger's LTIR, etc. With some fermented red stuff and a bad commute from downtown Miami under my belt, I think it boils down to a long- or short-term fix. Does Homer sacrifice a forward and maybe our #20 + Bob to get a blue chipper with immediate return or does he give up assets for another pick that he uses defensively, and maybe he goes for two picks on D, hoping that with a Carle resigning, Bourdon, and a cheaper pick up he has a respectable D while he grows his forwards. No Cup this coming year but he retains a nucleus of excellent forwards and builds a defense slowly, knowing that with Kimmo off the books next year (and certainty about the cap) he goes after big buck mid-career type.

OK, just a thought.

@Howie58

Unless it's a deal to get Weber, which is about a 0.1% chance at best, I say there is no sense in blowing up the team, again. Another year will give a better idea of what exactly we have in some of these young guys and how they will or won't fit together. I'm not sure that there is immediate help on the blue line in this draft that is worth giving up value for.

The draft is almost upon us, we will know the plan soon.....

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1

knowing that with Kimmo off the books next year (and certainty about the cap) he goes after big buck mid-career type.

I wouldn't assume Timo won't be with the club after his contract is up. I can see Timo signing one year deals like, Selanne for another year or two.

That said, I'm wouldn't trade the team to get Weber either. But I do think he will make a trade to get a 2-4 type d-man, and it looks as if JVR is the bait.

Greetings:

I am sure you've been reading the Inquirer and whomever about our lack of D, Pronger's LTIR, etc. With some fermented red stuff and a bad commute from downtown Miami under my belt, I think it boils down to a long- or short-term fix. Does Homer sacrifice a forward and maybe our #20 + Bob to get a blue chipper with immediate return or does he give up assets for another pick that he uses defensively, and maybe he goes for two picks on D, hoping that with a Carle resigning, Bourdon, and a cheaper pick up he has a respectable D while he grows his forwards. No Cup this coming year but he retains a nucleus of excellent forwards and builds a defense slowly, knowing that with Kimmo off the books next year (and certainty about the cap) he goes after big buck mid-career type.

OK, just a thought.

Since when does Homer EVER go long-term (other than kazillion year kazillion dollar NMC contracts)?

Since when does Homer EVER go long-term

Let's see....

A year ago, Homer traded a frosted-tipped nancy boy and his buddy, a less than perfect Captain, to acquire:

• an 18 year old natural centre who plays like a 28 year old - a franchise-type player;
  • the consensus "best prospect not playing in the NHL" (who was 19 at the time he was acquired);
  • a supremely talented 22 year old right winger with the size, skill and power of Hossa;
  • a 23 year old right winger who goes to the net and seems to have a scoring touch

He did what most people said was not possible, namely build for the future AND stay competitive in the short-term. For almost everybody here, it was one or the other.

He gets an "F" for the Bryz signing (especially the term) and lots of other dumb stuff (like not, apparently, knowing how the CBA works, e.g. Hyka), but he gets an "A+" for the above.

That's only fair. I wish I was perfect, but I'm not. I don't expect others to be (except my Captain :)

EDIT: watch Homer trade two of the above players in the next day for some old geezer and a 42 year contract. Doh!

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

@ruxpin

WTF IS THAT PICTURE? A slobbered nose Kuato?

I'm going to tell my wife you said she looks like a slobbered nose Kuato!

(Actually, I have no idea. It was originally a moving gif file and the thing was laughing. With the no-movement clause on this website, the thing is frozen with its mouth open.)

Look, Rux is correct if we think about Flyers over their history but Podein is accurate as well. Homer is bright enough to know that we are in a new era. There have been no repeat champs since the strike and I think player turnover under the cap will be higher, and youth is important in that structure. That said, Homer may be tempted to get a senior statesman for fear his current D is lacking to the point we fall apart. I and most other fans would take a year or two of sub-par play to build the D through draft and marginal trades (like Grossman). But Snider and others may not.

On paper, our forward corps is darn good and should get better. I hope Homer preserves it.

Peace,

Howie

One thing that that bugs me is Coburn,Mezzo,Carle,are youthful,talented and play at a level lower than what they are capable of. Daryl Sutter somehow got Jeff Carter,to forecheck,do a little body work,go in to the corners,etc. Why can't Lavi get these guys to play at a level they are capable of ? Maybe the "D" situation wouldn't be fuzzy if these three gave 110% every game. Coburn could step in to a leadership position on any team in the NHL,why not here ?