Sergei Bobrovsky traded to Columbus for three picks, says report

Guest Irishjim

GYI0063791070.jpg

Screen_Shot_2012-01-09_at_12.27.22_AM_tiny.png

by

Travis Hughes

PITTSBURGH -- It looks as though Sergei Bobrovsky has played his last game as a Philadelphia Flyer. TSN's Darren Dreger reports this noon that Bob looks to be headed to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for draft picks. The Columbus Dispatch reports that it's three picks coming back to Philly in the deal, including the No. 45 pick this weekend.

We all kind of saw this coming, didn't we? As we wrote earlier this month, Bobrovsky has a bright future but he's never going to get a chance to start in Philadelphia with Ilya Bryzgalov locked up for nine years. If you're a Bob fan (and many of us are), that's disheartening, but he deserves the chance to spread his wings in the NHL. Going to Columbus gives him that chance -- and hopefully that franchise doesn't kill his career.

This is a good move for the Flyers. They'll sign a UFA backup on July 1 and they're getting something of value in return for a goaltender who really has little to no value to them at this point. Three draft picks is more than I personally expected, for sure.

Who knows what this means for the rest of the day? It could open up the trade flood gates, but for now, I like the deal.

<fb:send class="fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" href="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.broadstreethockey.com%2F2012%2F6%2F22%2F3110497%2Fsergei-bobrovsky-trade-flyers-blues-jackets" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; "></fb:send>

Hmmmm...I was really expecting Bob to be part of a package in a bigger trade...

Although of course the picks we get could be traded away by Homer. Especially the 2nd-rounder. We all know he's congenitally unable to hang onto those!

Edited by Lucky13

Early analysis: good trade. Bob had no future on the bench and couldn't be sent down without risk losing him, so good return.

Homer isn't done obviously. That 2nd rounder, along with our 20th could be used to move up into top 10/top 5 position. Wouldn't be surprised by Homer. The guy goes and gets what he wants.

• Like 1

@

Yeah, it would prolly require a player/prospect as well. At that price, why not just use the picks, get some prospects?

Right, I forgot, Homer is preternaturally predisposed to trade ALL 2nd round picks. He can't help himself. I predict he'll have traded it away by this time tomorrow.

Edited by Podein25

how if we only can trade those picks + Bryz for ..... something, anything

It is just my 2 cents, but i thing we traded the wrong goalie

They traded the goalie that didn't have the rock solid No Movement Clause which they gave him last year...

Greetings:

The trade is no surprise. What we got in return is fairly significant. I wonder if we keep all these picks or flip some of them. Meanwhile, Scott Howson and Homer seem to have rapport.

Best,

Howie

Good return for the Flyers and a good move for Bob as well. I still think he's going to be a very good goaltender.

Hope the Flyers hang onto the picks and build org depth on defense.

Early analysis: good trade. Bob had no future on the bench and couldn't be sent down without risk losing him, so good return. Homer isn't done obviously. That 2nd rounder, along with our 20th could be used to move up into top 10/top 5 position. Wouldn't be surprised by Homer. The guy goes and gets what he wants.

Well once the Flyers signed Bryzgalov last year, Flyers fans knew that the writing was on the wall for Bob. Hopefully he does well, he'll join a long list of players who were traded by the Flyers that ended up doing well on other teams.

Just getting home, seems I'm always at work when these trades go down. Happy about the return, bummed out because I just got laid off for the first time in 3 years. They *say* it's only temporary....but still, scary.

Greetings:

The trade is no surprise. What we got in return is fairly significant. I wonder if we keep all these picks or flip some of them. Meanwhile, Scott Howson and Homer seem to have rapport.

Best,

Howie

Bear says Homer just warming up. Could thee be a real possibility of getting Nash? The question is at what cost.

@ Thanks aziz, appreciate that. One thing I've learnt over time, don't fret or worry about things that are not under your control...it's one thing to say it, quite another to be able to practically apply it. Another little gift sobriety gave me, the ability to live life on life's terms and to accept the things I cannot change.