Sergei Bobrovsky traded to Columbus for three picks, says report

Guest Irishjim

@jammer2

Good luck man, I've been out for a while myself. My company pulled up stakes and moved to Boston area, I decided I wasn't going with them. Chilled for a bit on a nice severance package, but now I've been out looking and opportunities are a bit thin....better days ahead, as they say

I'm just going to operate under the assumption that it will be a short two week layoff vacation...LOL! The messed up part, I have a 4 or 5 grand tucked away in a company run pension fund....I pull it out, not only do I get taxed 15% on it....I also get any money I recieve taken dollar for dollar off any potential unemployment claim....corrupt as all hell I'd say!!

Hmmmm...I was really expecting Bob to be part of a package in a bigger trade...

Me too, but it's still quite possible that some - or all - of those very pick Homer just acquired will be a part of a package to acquire someone else.

@jammer2

Jammer, really soryy to hear that. Hang on there, brother. I've been there and I know the feeling. It sucks. There are no two ways about it. It's really an empty, terrible feeling.

But......the key is to keep your chin up and remembering it's not the end of the world. You will land on your feet, trust me.

Best of luck and stay positive. That's really the key.

Just getting home, seems I'm always at work when these trades go down. Happy about the return, bummed out because I just got laid off for the first time in 3 years. They *say* it's only temporary....but still, scary.

sorry to hear that jammer Hope things work out well for you. stay positive

Bear says Homer just warming up. Could thee be a real possibility of getting Nash? The question is at what cost.

Howdy; good to hear from you. Well, we see in a few minutes if there is any "juice" in the first round. But I guess we have to see.

Peace,

Howie

@ Thanks aziz, appreciate that. One thing I've learnt over time, don't fret or worry about things that are not under your control...it's one thing to say it, quite another to be able to practically apply it. Another little gift sobriety gave me, the ability to live life on life's terms and to accept the things I cannot change.

Hey Jammer, keep your head up and things will work out for you. It sucks the way our unemployment insurance system works not to mention the good old tax system. Well at least you'll have the Flyers to ***** about for the next couple of weeks while you're on vacation :) Try to take it easy.

Just getting home, seems I'm always at work when these trades go down. Happy about the return, bummed out because I just got laid off for the first time in 3 years. They *say* it's only temporary....but still, scary.

I'm just going to operate under the assumption that it will be a short two week layoff vacation...LOL! The messed up part, I have a 4 or 5 grand tucked away in a company run pension fund....I pull it out, not only do I get taxed 15% on it....I also get any money I recieve taken dollar for dollar off any potential unemployment claim....corrupt as all hell I'd say!!

I totally missed this yesterday. Sorry to hear this, Jammer. Hopefully it will only be for 2 weeks.

Howdy; good to hear from you. Well, we see in a few minutes if there is any "juice" in the first round. But I guess we have to see.

Peace,

Howie

Howie:

I see Leighton as backup. Inexpensive and serviceable. Frees up money. You? I think Homer is still in the market for a D-Man. Carle won't be back.

Bear

GYI0063791070.jpg

Screen_Shot_2012-01-09_at_12.27.22_AM_tiny.png

by

Travis Hughes

PITTSBURGH -- It looks as though Sergei Bobrovsky has played his last game as a Philadelphia Flyer. TSN's Darren Dreger reports this noon that Bob looks to be headed to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for draft picks. The Columbus Dispatch reports that it's three picks coming back to Philly in the deal, including the No. 45 pick this weekend.

We all kind of saw this coming, didn't we? As we wrote earlier this month, Bobrovsky has a bright future but he's never going to get a chance to start in Philadelphia with Ilya Bryzgalov locked up for nine years. If you're a Bob fan (and many of us are), that's disheartening, but he deserves the chance to spread his wings in the NHL. Going to Columbus gives him that chance -- and hopefully that franchise doesn't kill his career.

This is a good move for the Flyers. They'll sign a UFA backup on July 1 and they're getting something of value in return for a goaltender who really has little to no value to them at this point. Three draft picks is more than I personally expected, for sure.

Who knows what this means for the rest of the day? It could open up the trade flood gates, but for now, I like the deal.

<fb:send class="fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" href="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.broadstreethockey.com%2F2012%2F6%2F22%2F3110497%2Fsergei-bobrovsky-trade-flyers-blues-jackets" style="position: relative; display: inline-block; "></fb:send>

Bob had his chances and never seized the opportunities, hasn't showed much development progress either..

Bob had his chances and never seized the opportunities, hasn't showed much development progress either..

Bob was a rookie last year and posted some very respectable numbers in the regular season while showing some great athleticism and reflexes. Then he sat and watched a goalie he likely respected play a Jeckyl and Hyde season we hopefully never have to suffer through again. All while trying to adjust to a new culture.

I think Bobrovsky ends up being a good NHL goalie.

• Like 1

Bob was a rookie last year and posted some very respectable numbers in the regular season while showing some great athleticism and reflexes. Then he sat and watched a goalie he likely respected play a Jeckyl and Hyde season we hopefully never have to suffer through again. All while trying to adjust to a new culture.

I think he's another Nitty..average serviceable backup goalie..

I think he's another Nitty..average serviceable backup goalie..

Bob had 77 starts. How pray tell do you expect to develop a guy when you quit the second they aren't Brodeur?

BTW, Quick has 244 starts, 69 of which were this season. If they quit on him as quickly, who knows.

If I recall correctly, you were one of the pro-rebuilders too? Good ****** luck with that patience.

Bob had 77 starts. How pray tell do you expect to develop a guy when you quit the second they aren't Brodeur?

BTW, Quick has 244 starts, 69 of which were this season. If they quit on him as quickly, who knows.

If I recall correctly, you were one of the pro-rebuilders too? Good ****** luck with that patience.

cmon man comparing Bob to Quick..your losing all credibility..

cmon man comparing Bob to Quick..your losing all credibility..

why? there was a time when quick was a rookie, too. doom is right, if quick were treated the same as bob following that rookie season, who knows what would have happened. bob had 52 starts, 28 wins, a 2.59gaa and a .915sv% his first year, compared to quick's 41starts, 21w, 2.48gaa, .914sv%. bob wins that comparison, if only just. the difference was in the second year, where quick was allowed to grow his game with 72 starts, and bob was allowed to rot, being reduced to 25.

doom's point was that, after extremely comparable rookie seasons, had LA quit on quick the way philly quit on bob, quick's career may very well have taken exactly the same path. and, imo, that is an entirely valid point to make.

why? there was a time when quick was a rookie, too. doom is right, if quick were treated the same as bob following that rookie season, who knows what would have happened. bob had 52 starts, 28 wins, a 2.59gaa and a .915sv% his first year, compared to quick's 41starts, 21w, 2.48gaa, .914sv%. bob wins that comparison, if only just. the difference was in the second year, where quick was allowed to grow his game with 72 starts, and bob was allowed to rot, being reduced to 25.

doom's point was that, after extremely comparable rookie seasons, had LA quit on quick the way philly quit on bob, quick's career may very well have taken exactly the same path. and, imo, that is an entirely valid point to make.

this isn't playstation..in the real world stats can be misleading...the difference between the 2 is development..Quick is a stud and Bob is a dud...

Then he sat and watched a goalie he likely respected play a Jeckyl and Hyde season we hopefully never have to suffer through again. All while trying to adjust to a new culture.

While also posting better numbers than Jeckyl or Hyde for 2/3 of the season. Being a blue collar small town kid, he might even flourish very well in Columbus. In the long run, I believe this trade is even. I am a bit shocked that Howson did not want more to make up for the a s s pumping that Homer did to him last summer.

this isn't playstation..in the real world stats can be misleading...the difference between the 2 is development..Quick is a stud and Bob is a dud...

he says with arrogant conviction after having the benefit of seeing 4 seasons of jonathan quick.

whatever, dude. in the real world, you had no freaking idea who jonathhan quick was after his rookie year, much less than he'd become a stud. and that's the point. quick had a fair rookie season, a bumpy sophmore season, and began to coming into his own in his third year. during all of year three and half of year four, there were whispers that his job might be taken by his backup.

• Like 1

Except....... Quick was allowed to develop and Bob wasn't. Quick didn't exactly set the world on fire during his furst two years in the league. In fact, his play (and no, I am not just talking about stats) was not head and shoulder better than Bob. But the Kings were patient with him and allowed him to build on his strengths instead of throwing him to the bench.

It's interesting that you mentioned the word development. So do you honestly believe Bob was given a chance to develop here? The organization pretty much dug him a grave when they brought in Bryzgalov. How on Earth was he supposed to develop?

I am not saying Bob will ever become a stud in this league. But the point is, we have no idea right now. The Flyers wrote him off just after one year. ONE YEAR!!!

Edited by Mad Dog

the irony to O_C talking about this isn't playstation is he is classic for having a total playstation mentality.

About effing time we took off the kid gloves (on the board). Digity may or may not agree, but f u c k it- my daughter posted twice here in one day and made as much sense.

I have my statistics book right here. Lets go bro!! ha ha

Peace out Noziz!

@Vanflyer

lol. it just bugs me. dude comes out with a pronouncement that quick is a stud, and thinks that means he has insight. the idea that these players, especially goalies, had way more uncertain beginnings it totally lost on him.

@

Why did you change your name? Everytime I see a post from you I am thinking Chinese. No lie. It is 5:30 am where I am and I am going to make chicken fried rice for my nephew for breakfast and a grilled sandwhich and soup for lunch. No lie.

LA rode the right horse. It was touch and go just at you stated. Quick was to be the back up and Bernier was to be the stud. The irony is that I think Quick will walk next year (UFA) and Bernier will sign a 5 year deal next year (RFA).

Both get a ring and both get paid.

Can you adopt my combo name: Nodiz? You have to admit it is pretty funny. There are no copy rights etc. It beats the hell out of Noodl (I am fat enough without thinking about chinese food every post you make!). Oh, speaking of chinese food, I have to go make chicken fried rice!!!

I wish @DaGreatGazoo would get over here with rum, but oh well.