Flyers #20 Pick...SCOTT LAUGHTON

Guest pilldoc

I'm wondering if there isn't something brewing tradewise... Another centerman makes no sense to me, unless we need to replace someone who is part of a package for a cornerstone d-player

It's not like this kid is going to waltz right in and be our #4 center.

He is probably viewed as Briere's future replacement.

And I bet we do make the Bobby Ryan trade. Might have to part with Schenn to get it done.

Laughton is a two -way forward who is willing to grind for his team. He is a hard worker who can fight, hit and score. A versatile player, Laughton is known for being the kind of opposition people hate to play against, because of his drive and determination and his "never take a shift off? mentality. His skating could use some work. He is known to outwork his opponents. via info on teamstream

Can he play defense? Not gonna jump off the building..yet. There might be something coming later--via free agency or trade. But on the surface, this pick makes NO sense to me at all. We could lose our top D pairing from the start of last year(Pronger and Carle). Mez is still a huge question mark..and Kimmo is a year away from probably retiring. So we draft a player that fills a need we already have covered in Coots and Schenn.

I gotta say..WTF???? Extremely disappointed with this pick..as it stands now.

And I bet we do make the Bobby Ryan trade. Might have to part with Schenn to get it done.

I am afraid you may be right. I am hearing from people close to the Flyers that Homer tried really hard to package Bob to Aneheim and they weren't interested. I am also hearing that the Flyers, to no surprise, are also offering JVR but Aneheim is asking for Schenn and the Flyers are not fond of the idea of trading Schenn. And why should they? He is younger and more versatile than Bobby Ryan. Schenn just started warming up.... In 2 years, he will be a total package. The Flyers will certainly gain in the short run, in the immediate future........but in 2-3 years, Schenn will be a much better player than Bobby. I woouldn't trade Schenn under any circumstances.

I gotta say..WTF???? Extremely disappointed with this pick..as it stands now.

I don't get that pick either. We had more pressing needs. Laughton won't be ready for at least another 2 years, from what I am hearing, and finding a good center is much easier than finding a world-class defenseman or a goalie. And decent d-men were available when the Flyers were picking.

So he is Talbots heir apparrent in 3 years??

I think that is a good comparison however I think Laughton could be in a Flyer uniform before Talbot becomes a UFA. Although I think Laughton could have been chosen later possibly with the second round pick.

Somehow, the Kings winning the cup probably has something to do with the mentality for chosing this pick. You need the Dustin Brown, Mike Richard type players. Laughton is supposively versitile, capable of playing wing as well as center. He also is said to have leadership qualities. In a couple of years we will all probably be happy with Holmgren's pick.

I was supremely disappointed to check my mobile at the bar and see that we left Maatta on the board and took a Centre. Upon reflection, I see in Laughton a kid that is ultra-competitive and plays a complete, all round game with determination in all zones. Those are good things.

Edited by Podein25

So we drafted our 4th line center's replacement...who probably won't play in the NHL for 2-3 years, projected. And FWIW...Talbot was drafted in the 8th round...Laughton was picked 20th!

I still can't believe we left Maatta on the board..and then he goes to Pittsburgh of all places.

This is why I hate the "draft the best player available" mentality....according to Homer, he was the highest scored player the Flyers were looking at. Well, guess what, if it had been a goalie, I bet they weren't taking one with Bryz locked up for 8 years. So why draft a center because he's high on your board. You have 3 stud centers...who last I looked were all under 25!!!

Man, we better make some smart UFA moves.....

Greetings:

I am not surprised we went after someone with a shutdown mindset. We need it. But I also suspect someone is going in a trade and this is a precursor.

What I also suspect it says is that D is going to be dealt with not only by trade but with rebuild over a year or two. Maybe the brass is unwilling to lock up 6 million in a long-term contract.

If we see today's moves in the D and G areas, we have a better sense of strategy.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

The Flyers are very smart about using their #1's and apparently they profoundly disagreed with Central Scouting on this one. I don't get it, but OK.

However, the idea that this has something to do with a pending trade for Schenn makes even less sense to me. You just don't pick for a need you don't have (which would be the case here because they have plenty of centers even without Schenn). If anything, it means they might move Cousins rather than Schenn, but even then, I think they just picked who they thought was the best player on the board.

More on Laughton

Laughton ranked fifth on Oshawa with 53 points (21-32--53), and third on the team with 101 penalty minutes, during the 2011-12 season. He added five points (2-3--5) in six postseason contests.

• Laughton represented Canada at the 2011 Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and scored the game-winning goal in the gold-medal game. He also won gold with Team Ontario at the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, where he finished the tournament with five points (two goals, three assists) in six games.

• A Toronto Marlboros minor hockey product, he won the GTHL championship and the Ontario Bantam championship in 2008-09 alongside fellow NHL Draft prospects Scott Kosmachuk and Matia Marcantuoni; Laughton was named MVP and Top Forward.

• He had 95 points (45-50--95) in 76 games for the Marlboros during the 2009-10 season. Laughton also scored five points (3-2--5) in seven games during the 2010 OHL Cup Showcase Tournament as Toronto lost in the championship game.

• Laughton has competed on Team Ontario’s lacrosse squad (2006 and 2008). His father, Craig, also played lacrosse for Team Canada.

FAVORITES

NHL player: Shane Doan, Mike Richards

NHL team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Shootout move: Forehand to backhand

Goal celebration: Celebrate with the guys

Video game: NHL 12

Movie: The Other Guys

TV show: Sportscentre

Actor: Will Ferrell

Cartoon character: Bugs Bunny

Pump-up song: “Levels” – Avicii

Restaurant: Jack Astor’s

Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse

Breakfast food: Eggs and bacon

Superhero: Spiderman

Oh Dear Lord, he's a Leafs fan...par for the course for a young player in Ontario....he likes Spidey, but that does not make up for the Leaf sickness...LOL!

But........ look who his favorite players are: Doan and Mike Richards. Usually when someone says such and such is my favorite player, that means he strives to model his career after that player. And you know what? Doan and Richards (drinking and partying nonwithstanding) are not bad players to emulate.

Oh yeah MD, that stuff is way more imporant than who they cheer for. It's totally expected for a young hockey player in Ontario to cheer for the Leafs, I'd bet 60% of all young kids playing in Ontario are Leaf fans, passed on from their Dads, and Grandfathers etc, etc, etc.

Have nothing to go on, have never seen Scott play, but my instincts say he's gonna be an impact player who was ranked to low by the scouts, allowing Homer a window to scoop him up. I will always wonder if he would have been there in the second though....Still think Gaunce or Matta would have been much better fits.

So we drafted our 4th line center's replacement...who probably won't play in the NHL for 2-3 years, projected. And FWIW...Talbot was drafted in the 8th round...Laughton was picked 20th!

I still can't believe we left Maatta on the board..and then he goes to Pittsburgh of all places.

This is why I hate the "draft the best player available" mentality....according to Homer, he was the highest scored player the Flyers were looking at. Well, guess what, if it had been a goalie, I bet they weren't taking one with Bryz locked up for 8 years. So why draft a center because he's high on your board. You have 3 stud centers...who last I looked were all under 25!!!

Man, we better make some smart UFA moves.....

If Laughton was who your management thought was the best player available then they're insane. I'm all for throwing a curve here and there but this kid is a late second rounder. How do you pass on some of the players that were still available for that? I'm with you, if the Flyers were my team I'd be disgusted too.

I am afraid you may be right. I am hearing from people close to the Flyers that Homer tried really hard to package Bob to Aneheim and they weren't interested. I am also hearing that the Flyers, to no surprise, are also offering JVR but Aneheim is asking for Schenn and the Flyers are not fond of the idea of trading Schenn. And why should they? He is younger and more versatile than Bobby Ryan. Schenn just started warming up.... In 2 years, he will be a total package. The Flyers will certainly gain in the short run, in the immediate future........but in 2-3 years, Schenn will be a much better player than Bobby. I woouldn't trade Schenn under any circumstances.

Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that we aren't trading Schenn now. Homer got the boys together with the JvR trade.

Would still love to see Bobby Ryan as a Flyer somehow. But whom could we trade to get it done?

• Like 1

@AndyS First thing I thought also Andy....you don't re-unite brothers and then trade one of them. It's obvious both Schenn brothers are part of the long term picture. I don't think we have the pieces to pull off the Ryan deal now.

@AndyS First thing I thought also Andy....you don't re-unite brothers and then trade one of them. It's obvious both Schenn brothers are part of the long term picture. I don't think we have the pieces to pull off the Ryan deal now.

. . .unless we're trading them both with Bryz to the Ducks for Hiller, Ryan & Sbisa. ;)

Still feels like Homer must have something else in mind, but what?

Maybe Nash just drops into his lap when nobody else ponies up to CBJ?