Leighton still an option, WTF?

Guest Samifan

@ It is funny, Leights was 6 periods and 1 OT period away from Philly immortality and a long term deal that would have set him up for life. Still, I (like many, many others) were wincing everytime he made a save, waiting for the wheels to inevitably fall off. For a bit there, he looked so big, decently fast...I was thinking "maybe everyone just missed this guy, slipped through the cracks etc".....but geez, the timing of that goal combined with how it went in...on that horrible angle that should have been stopped 10 times out of 10....it was truly unforgiveable.

It was so monumentally bad it will forever be etched in hockey history....the goal that was so bad nobody knew it was in except the guy who shot it...making for perhaps the most awkward delayed Stanley Cup celebration in NHL history. When it's *that* monumentally bad....that ugly....than yeah, you *deserve* to get lynched.

Leighton is the Man! I never felt this guy deserved the lynching he got based on one goal. Is Terry getting ready to replace Lavi?

- losing the SC on a horrible, shot that is stopped 100% of the time

- inability to hold a post

- giant 5 hole

- slow glove

- molasses lateral movement

- throwing teammates under the bus in the media several times, while never accepting responsibility

- lying about health to get a contract, then magically requiring surgery

What's not to love? And I'm sure I missed a few.

You MUST have forgotten the sarcasm font...

• Like 2

I recall that one of the issues with Leighton is his difficulty in staying sharp with little work. Doesn't sound like a good back up candidate to me. Also, I agree with FC: there should be some kind of law against having Bryz backed up by Leighton in Philly. It is just begging, screaming from trouble.

Won't Leighton will become a UFA as of July 1st? Would he take less money them the previous contract he got after the cup finals?

my guess would be he should. He's played in the A the last 2 years and didn't he clear re-entry waivers? or am I thinking of someone else this season

Sorry folks it looks like Leighton will sign as a backup This Season.

It just won't be with the Flyers I'm afraid.

The spot will probabely stay open when rookie camp starts, it looks like they want to see what the farm will harvest this winter. That's how they cropped up Bob, though they plucked him too early and now they had to discard him to another team. Bad Farming...very bad Farming.

Sorry folks it looks like Leighton will sign as a backup This Season.

It just won't be with the Flyers I'm afraid.

The spot will probabely stay open when rookie camp starts, it looks like they want to see what the farm will harvest this winter. That's how they cropped up Bob, though they plucked him too early and now they had to discard him to another team. Bad Farming...very bad Farming.

Wait a minute.....your going to let the two goaltenders in the organization at this time ( Hoivinen, and Heeter) neither which I believe whom have even played an AHL game compete for the backup goalie position?

whoa.......they just realized the mistake they made putting Bob in the NHL before he was ready, and now you say they are going to put themselves in the position of doing it again?

Holmgren will sign a NHL proven back-up goaltender.

@hf101

I agree, a proven NHL goalie is necessary. That allows the young guys to season in the AHL for a while, and keeps Bryz happy. I think it would be best if the Flyers actually sign a career backup goalie, as they are used to coming in cold and not having many starts to stay sharp.

@Hexy27 I've been saying all along, would not hurt to invite him to training camp. If Hasek plays himself on the squad, I'm more than fine with it. Stanley Cup pedigree (mind you, quite a while ago)....but knows what it takes to win...salary has to be right of course, but with limited playing time....a nice option...*if* healthy.

What's sad is that our organization just can't seem to develop people..even backups.

If I were a young player, the O and B would not be high on my list of NHL squads. We seem to grind them out or trade them too soon.

Hi Howie-

Are we talking goalies or other players?

The JVR trade is fine. One "supposed" failure for another "supposed" failure.

The Bobrovsky trade is the pisser on the fire for me.

I am waiting for @DaGreatGazoo to send me some rum so I can cheer your vintage Merlot.

Hi Howie-

Are we talking goalies or other players?

The JVR trade is fine. One "supposed" failure for another "supposed" failure.

The Bobrovsky trade is the pisser on the fire for me.

I am waiting for @DaGreatGazoo to send me some rum so I can cheer your vintage Merlot.

Van:

Good to hear from you; had some Cab earlier tonight. No, I stand corrected and meant goal. Sorry for my unclear reference.

If I could send you some good stuff, electronically, I would. Actually, I just ordered some wine from a place called "Wine Insiders" that was good and very fairly priced....my first mail order of wine, something that was illegal until a few years ago and still not allowed in many states.

Homer finds comfort in former players. So I might prefer Clemmenson it would not surprise me to find Biron here. Nitty might be too much of a stretch.

Best,

Howie

@jammer2

I guess it couldn't hurt to have him in camp but he's almost 50. Even if he has a good camp I doubt he has enough gas in the tank for an entire season (even as a backup). Still I'll take 50 year old Hasek over Leighton.

I wouldn't be overjoyed at Leighton coming back. But if this is what happens, it happens. Let's face it, he is not the sole reason we lost two years ago. And fast forward to our 10 goal blow-out with Pittsburgh a few months ago. What's sad is that our organization just can't seem to develop people..even backups.

If I were a young player, the O and B would not be high on my list of NHL squads. We seem to grind them out or trade them too soon.

Peace,

Howie

Howie:

Could not agree more.

I just think Holmgren will insert Leighton as the back-up and try to use the money elsewhere. I donlt understand why people are so down on Leighton. Obe goal does not nake a career. maybe i am missing something.

Will give Reise some time to develop those 2 kids in Adirondack.

You think Holmgren is going to make any sizeable moves?

BOI

If I could send you some good stuff, electronically, I would. Actually, I just ordered some wine from a place called "Wine Insiders" that was good and very fairly priced....my first mail order of wine, something that was illegal until a few years ago and still not allowed in many states.

Thanks Howie. I have a really good friend that lives at Cape Cod- and is a Wine procurer if that is the right term. Basically, he finds nice vintage wines in various places and then distributes them to others that are seeking. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with him. He is a nice guy - and great chef. He is excellent at pairing wines with dinners.

I am too busy drinking my Old Milwaukee to get involved into that part of society. Seriously, where I live, there is no such thing as a decent wine unless you want to pay highway robbery imported prices. Same for beer. I guess the good news is there is REALLY good local rum here and it cost you the same price as a liter of cola. Combine that with the local fresh pinepple and mango juice and you are good to go.

How is the southern Florida summer treating you??

good local rum here....Combine that with the local fresh pinepple and mango juice...

Wow, the globe is warming faster than I figured if you've got local pineapple in the Yukon. It's still all lichens and muskeg over here to the east of you. WTF?

I think a few people on this thread have stated that the disdain for Leighton does not only come from his poor performance but also from his lack of professionalism. He deceived the organization by hiding the true story behind his health at the time. He signed a two year deal and then revealed that he needed surgery. I don't want someone like this around at all.

Imho that whole "hid his injury" story was a bunch of conspiracy b.s. I figure he honestly thought he wouldn't need surgery so he did what any professional would do; he signed his contract. Big deal.

My problem with Leighton has nothing to do with his back and everything to do with his playing history. We saw Cinderella turn into a pumpkin right before our eyes. We don't ever want to see it again.

For a few weeks there it looked like we had the next Hasek, the next late-blooming wonder in net. And then the pressure mounted...Parent fell on top of Boucher and took him out...then it was all Leighton...and he got worse and worse...when the Final began he was barely an AHL-caliber goaltender. Soft goals every game, pulled twice...till finally ...

No thanks. Not again.