D Shayne Gostisbehere

Guest hf101

A 5'11, 160 pound defenseman from Union College in the ECAC where he played with Coburn's brother.

He played his high school hockey in Connecticut and is coming off of freshman season with the Union Dutchmen, joining them in a trip to the Frozen Four this past fall.

Gostisbehere scored five goals and 17 assists in 41games of NCAA hockey. He is from Margate, Fla.

From Hockey's Future:

Gostisbehere is smart in knowing when to jump into plays and his decision-making is very good. He moves exceedingly well with the puck and his passing skills are excellent. Gostisbehere also possesses a great stick and does a good job of taking away lanes.

While Gostisbehere's one-on-one coverage is good, he'll need to continue to improve his gap control.

Seems like a reasonable prospect.

I have season tickets to Union College hockey and this kid looks to be the real deal w/ tremendous potential.

Thank you. People are a little freaked out by this draft (including me, a little) and it is great to get some positive, first hand feedback.

A 5'11, 160 pound defenseman from Union College in the ECAC where he played with Coburn's brother.

He played his high school hockey in Connecticut and is coming off of freshman season with the Union Dutchmen, joining them in a trip to the Frozen Four this past fall.

Gostisbehere scored five goals and 17 assists in 41games of NCAA hockey. He is from Margate, Fla.

From Hockey's Future:

Gostisbehere is smart in knowing when to jump into plays and his decision-making is very good. He moves exceedingly well with the puck and his passing skills are excellent. Gostisbehere also possesses a great stick and does a good job of taking away lanes.

While Gostisbehere's one-on-one coverage is good, he'll need to continue to improve his gap control.

Seems like a reasonable prospect.

I can beat this guy up with one hand tied behind my back and blindfolded..will get destroyed in the AHL or NHL..

@orange_crush Glad you're not the GM...Wellwood has a lot more than just speed, something you will find out about next season.

Wellwood is a good PK'r other than that nothing more..he's too small to be effective on a checking line and he's not talented enough to play on a scoring line..should be in the AHL..imo

Well, keeping in mind he plays very limited minutes, his scoring from last year, spread out over 82 games equals 16.....not bad for a rookie who does not get much ice time and plays with other plumbers. What kind of production would be sufficient for him to be deemed useful production wise....25....30?

Wellwood is a good PK'r other than that nothing more..he's too small to be effective on a checking line and he's not talented enough to play on a scoring line..should be in the AHL..imo

I disagree. He has a ton of heart, which does help in the checking role. His speed is ludicrously awesome. I think he figures out some stick handling this summer, now that 'he has been there before'. The game will slow down (scary thought), and he will be more natural.

I think he belongs. The league is getting faster, not necessarily bigger. He still has room to develop skills, might as well let him.

@orange_crush

I am not sure what exactly you expect from Wellwood. He has a role on this team and he has played it very well, in my opinion. He will never be a scoring champion, but he brings a lot to the game that doesn't necessarily show up on the scoreboard. His defensive insticnts are just insane. His ability to anticipate is very good for a rookie. He was barely used last season......... so judging his play *just* by the numbers is unfair. I really think all he needs is experience. Give it some time.

• Like 2

I disagree. He has a ton of heart, which does help in the checking role. His speed is ludicrously awesome. I think he figures out some stick handling this summer, now that 'he has been there before'. The game will slow down (scary thought), and he will be more natural.

I think he belongs. The league is getting faster, not necessarily bigger. He still has room to develop skills, might as well let him.

disagree.. this is still a big mans game..look at Boston and LA the last 2 cup winners..physically dominated there opponents.

disagree.. this is still a big mans game..look at Boston and LA the last 2 cup winners..physically dominated there opponents.

In my opinion, LA outworked everyone, the physicality was secondary.

Boston, well, let's just say refs turn a blind eye to their team (especially Lucic, Marchand, and Chara). Kind of like NJ's obstruction defensive system.

The counterpoint to the physicality necessity being, it's a total team effort and the entire team needs to play as one, and want it more. Wellwood I think is a great fit with raw skill and heart.

Boston and LA did play physical, and it helped them win. They also had 2 of the best goaltending performances in NHL history, which had a lot more to do with their wins than anything else.

• Like 2

Boston and LA did play physical, and it helped them win. They also had 2 of the best goaltending performances in NHL history, which had a lot more to do with their wins than anything else.

Yeah thank God they didn't have a chipped/fractured toe....or never would have happened... ;)

In my opinion, LA outworked everyone, the physicality was secondary.

Boston, well, let's just say refs turn a blind eye to their team (especially Lucic, Marchand, and Chara). Kind of like NJ's obstruction defensive system.

The counterpoint to the physicality necessity being, it's a total team effort and the entire team needs to play as one, and want it more. Wellwood I think is a great fit with raw skill and heart.

totally disagree with all your statements..but that's ok