JVR traded for Luke Schenn

Guest hf101

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the trade?

schenn has a lot of tools. the only thing that worries me is that he was seriously in the doghouse last season. when you get signled out as a problem with that corps, there are issues.

change of of scenery maybe does the trick. he has the potential to be an impact player. same, really, as JVR. i think JVR is missing some tools though. like a brain.

at this point, i call it a fair even up trade.

I agree about his potential but part of the reason he was in the doghouse was Ron Wilson trying to make him something he was not. As a rookie, he hit, cleared the porch and concentrated on defense. Wilson came in and tried to make him into a puck carrying defenseman which he is not. I think that messed with his game more than anything.

I think JVR will be a lot like Pat Falloon in that he never lives up to his potential and there will always be a team willing to trade for JVR in the hopes they can.

• Like 1

I agree about his potential but part of the reason he was in the doghouse was Ron Wilson trying to make him something he was not. As a rookie, he hit, cleared the porch and concentrated on defense. Wilson came in and tried to make him into a puck carrying defenseman which he is not. I think that messed with his game more than anything.

I think JVR will be a lot like Pat Falloon in that he never lives up to his potential and there will always be a team willing to trade for JVR in the hopes they can.

ahhh .... another dismal blast from the past!.. What a waste of a roster spot for that loser......

• Like 1

Why do you say that? Just wondering.

I think if both players achieved their max potential the would be pretty equal. We needed a solid young dman with the ability to be a #1-3. It worked for both teams. I say it's equal now and we will see what happens in 3-4 years.

Because your team has plenty of young talent up front, not much talent in your d-corps... You guys still think a lot of Timonen and Meszaros, but I don't. I think Carle, Cobrun and Grossman are your D top 3, and Schenn could become one of your best real soon. Many more forwards than D on the market. Tough to find good young D talent this season without it costing, and JVR was a good price for your Flyers.

• Like 1

Because your team has plenty of young talent up front, not much talent in your d-corps... You guys still think a lot of Timonen and Meszaros, but I don't. I think Carle, Cobrun and Grossman are your D top 3, and Schenn could become one of your best real soon. Many more forwards than D on the market. Tough to find good young D talent this season without it costing, and JVR was a good price for your Flyers.

Nice analysis from an outsider (meaning non-Flyer fan).

Question for everyone. Does this mean we don't resign Carle? Pairings?

I don't think so. Schenn will never come close to replacing the offense that Carle provides. Unless they are really going after Suter, I would expect Carle to be re-signed.

carle will be resigned. this is our team. i really don't expect any significant changes now that JVR and bob are gone. those were our best trading pieces. i would expect to see carle and jagr signed as of july 1.

Jagr? Really? I'm not so sure both camps are on the same page there.

I would be more than happy if he hits, clears the crease, and concentrates on defense.

If he does that, this trade is a no-brainer, IMO.

We already have a puck-carrying defenseman (Carle), who is rumored to be signing an extension soon.

• Like 2

how can we be the longest drought when there's teams that have *never* won it? i'll take a drought over abject famine.

Philly is an older franchise, and I for one wasn't alive when they won last. Same thing for me.

Philly is an older franchise, and I for one wasn't alive when they won last. Same thing for me.

The Blues are as old as the Flyers and have never won the Cup. So after Toronto their drought has to be the longest.

Edited by JackStraw

Question for everyone. Does this mean we don't resign Carle? Pairings?

I think yes on Carle... i'm thinking he gets 4 years at 4.75 or so.

then we have shutdown pair, Coburn, Grossmann... 2nd Metzaros, Carle 3rd Timmonen Schenn. with MAB and Gus trading time in the pressbox. that's not too bad actually.

even if my pairings are for poop. that is a pretty nice group of players, if we can avoid having #44 out there 20 + a night he'll be good, provided his back heals. And i'm looking for Metzaros to take a step forward this year, he had top pairing potential in Ottawa when he didn't have to be the man, then was lost in Tampa when he was asked to be the man at 22, I think , healthy back willing, he becomes a top pairing player.

Mojo what are your thoughts on letting Carle go and going after the dman from Fla ,a righty who actually has a point shot? And can score some goals for us on the PP,Carles shot is limped than a 90 yr olds penis. Or maybe even going after the UFA dman from Anaheim

Fair enough.

Timo surely isn't what he used to be but he is extremely effective still. He does it very quietly. I think that unless you watch him specifically you miss half of what he does.

If I were to rank the Flyers D for the start of the season if it stay as is, I'd say Coburn, Mez, Timo, Grossman, Carle, Schenn. If Mez keeps progressing and stays healthy he's due for a few good years coming up just as Timo is trailing off. That's a pretty good D corps.

Coburn - Timo

Mez - Grossman

Carle - Schenn

Mojo what are your thoughts on letting Carle go and going after the dman from Fla ,a righty who actually has a point shot? And can score some goals for us on the PP,Carles shot is limped than a 90 yr olds penis. Or maybe even going after the UFA dman from Anaheim

That's one thing that group is really missing - a shot from the point. Anybody know if Schenn has a shot in him?

@Digityman ,Timo is a beaten and battered shell of himself coming off back surgery,Mez is also coming off back surgery.Who knows what lingering effects there may be. I don't think Timmo can hold up much longer. I think we need one more dman, Timmo needs a reduced role and his minutes totally reduced. He also has one year left on his contract, if we can get the guy from Fla or the college kid from Anaheim I would do that and dump Carle. The next year when Timmos contract is up we go after Webber.

• Like 1