JVR traded for Luke Schenn

Guest hf101

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the trade?

@ Agreed, at the very least, opposing forwards will be looking over their back and trying to figure out where Luke is on the ice....all this while they should be reading the play and figuring out how they can score....so it's a win as soon as Luke takes the ice...in that specific aspect anyways. I dearly wanted us to get tougher....make opposing forwards pay the price....so that part of it....I'm thrilled.

Edited by jammer2

I hope he actually scales the hits back. I'd rather he focuses on solid positioning, and let hitting become secondary. Even if that hit pace slows down, the extra TOI should get him in the top 5 in hits.

@doom88 Yep, sometimes it's the treat of a hit that gives you the 1.2 seconds you need to erase a scoring chance. I'm sure the #1 thing the Flyers coaching staff will be working on Luke with is sound, solid decisons with the puck...followed closely by positioning.

Is anyone else pondering if we pulled the Bob trade a tad early? Bob would be a perfect fit in Toronto, certainly fill a need....seems to me, if we threw in Read, Bob AND JVR we could have pried Burke's 1st rounder out of him for next year....Nathan McKinnon anyone??? LOL!

What I meant was Schenn AND Toronto's first for Bob, Read and JVR.....that would have been a pretty sweet deal for us...I do love Read's game, but you have to admit, a lot of return.

Not enough IMO. Read gives you 47 points for 900,000k and can really get better from there.

I would have done Schenn and TOR pick for Bob, JVR and our first

Read gives you 47 points for 900,000k and can really get better from there.

i really like read, but he'll have to have more than one season like that to convince people who aren't flyers fans. a 25 year old rookie with those numbers will have a lot of people saying flash in the pan. not saying he is, but his situation means he has something to prove.

Edited by noodl

I don't disagree that he has the potential to slip but at 900,000 he's way more valuable to our team than a draft pick, as a 40+ point player, elite penalty killer, etc.

Especially because he had some great chemistry with Couts when given the opportunity

• Like 1

i really like read, but he'll have to have more than one season like that to convince people who aren't flyers fans. a 25 year old rookie with those numbers will have a lot of people saying flash in the pan. not saying he is, but his situation means he has something to prove.

Agreed entirely. I'm big on consistent, established baselines. Read has a good start, not reputation yet.

He should have value though, as he did have a good season in the NHL already under his belt. And, he's signed cheap.

why a such hype about Shenn?

I think it could be next Carle. Flyers org is known for quitting on players too early, this is reason they have not won anything since 70's.

I would wait with JVR and may be go ahead trade him for someone like Getzlaf.

I would be more than happy if he hits, clears the crease, and concentrates on defense.

If he does that, this trade is a no-brainer, IMO.

We already have a puck-carrying defenseman (Carle), who is rumored to be signing an extension soon.

That's why I think we won the trade. We have puck carrying defensemen and what we needed was a thumper. Someone to make some big hits and make opposing forwards pay the price going to the net. Schenn will give that to the team. He will also clear the porch as we had no one until Grossman who would even make opposing forwards think twice about camping out in front of Bryz.

I think Bryz was a disappointment but I also feel he suffered from all the injuries, rookies and defensive carousel in front of him. I think with a health defensive corp of Kimo, Coburn, Mez, Grossman, Schenn and a few others, he will be much better.

Another big plus that no one has really pointed out is that Schenn can eat some major minutes which will hopefully cut into some of Kimo's time and preserve him for the playoffs.

• Like 1

I know the amount of Leaf fans you have to deal with in Windsor, just as FC in Barrie and myself in Sudbury but I think this trade will workout for the Flyers. Eventhough JVR could end up being a decent powerforward, the Flyers proved last season that they didn't really miss him when he wasn't in the lineup. He's going to find out how hard it's going to be to play in Toronto when he doesn't perform the way the fans expect him to. Once Schenn gets the Toronto **** out of his system, pairing him with Timonen might not be a bad idea, not to mention he'll be playing with his brother. He's a big bruising defensive defenseman who lost his confidence in Toronto with no coach to help him out. The change of scenery might do him so good. And if Holmgren can trade for Ryan who seems to want to end up in Philly then things might not be too bad. He's signed for 3 more years compared to JVR who signed for 6 years. But getting a draft pick would have been nice.

I noted similar reasons for loving the trade. When JVR was hurt the offense didn't miss him. When he played, he was hardly noticeable. He was expendable and we acquired a steady, young physical defensemen the team needed.

I would much rather have preferred Schenn for JVR then gutting the team for Weber.

A lot of posters have complained about the trade thinking we could get more for JVR. Honestly I think Flyers fans are overevaluating JVR's trade value. Schenn was a 5th overall pick so it's not like we are getting a bum.

• Like 2

@doom88 and also noodl. In reply to my post from the other day...I am fully aware of Garrison and Schultz, but I was on the road and had a mental lapse as I was posting. My feelings were that since we got Schenn to block shots and make a decent first pass, that replaces Carles only two skills as a dman. By getting Garrison, we add an element to our team that does not exist at this time,which is a goal scoring dman with a booming accurate point shot who csn run our PP and another righty to offset a heavy forechecking that the Devs used to kill us. Carles limp **** shot not be missed and his other skills have been replaced for less money.

As far as Schultz goes, that's another option,since they say he is a cant miss prospect who is as good or better than McDonough on the Rangers,have you ever seen Him play, he is better defensively than anyone we have,so yeah I sure would take a chance on him. With Schenn here now, Carle is not so imperative. How about we sign Carle,and trade him and Voracek and a pick to the Ducks for Ryan,and we sign Garrison or Schultz to replace Carle.

@RonJeremy Really.....realllllllly??? Ryan McDonough is a proven commodity. He has 2 years under his belt and is a startling +58 in his 124 NHL games. Truly one of the leagues most underrated stars. It's shocking to hear a guy who has never ever stepped on NHL ice like Schultz is "as good or better" than the young Rangers star. I call BS.

• Like 1

Well they interviewed some coach that coached both players and he said this kid is as good or better than McDonough.It seems that a lot of teams are in pursuit of this guy,so he's gotta be pretty highly rated. Considering the lack of top 2 dmen in our AHL in our system and the imminent breakdown of Timmo I would take a shot at this dman. I still think we need one more guy

Schultz wants a guaranteed NHL spot, so forget about the farm. As for McDonaugh, he's done it at the NHL level...very well. Schultz hasn't. What the habs were thinking when they gave him up for Gomez and his horrible contract, I have no idea.

By getting Garrison, we add an element to our team that does not exist at this time,which is a goal scoring dman with a booming accurate point shot who csn run our PP and another righty to offset a heavy forechecking that the Devs used to kill us. Carles limp **** shot not be missed and his other skills have been replaced for less money.

except that

A)garrison is a left hand shot

Jason-Garrison.jpg

B)you're gonna replace the 21st highest scoring dman in a league with over 180 blueliners for less than $5.5mil? and have him also block the 15th most shots? you need to look at the players above carle in those critical catagories and rethink your plan, imo.

@

i had read that Garrison was a righty too...

i wonder where ?

well if he is indeed a lefty and the evidence you've presented is pretty damning, i'd say take a pass on garrison.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474520

his stats page clearly states shoots left, what the hell was i looking at ?

aging sucks