So Do We Miss JVR?

Guest idahophilly

So, do we? He was MIA for most of last year. Now, if he goes on to score 30-35 goals are we going to be upset? That must be determined by Luke's play for sure. But we really didn't miss JVR's scoring last year. Did we?

And either I or someone else has to come up with where our cap hit is now at the 70.3 million league ceiling? We might be able to replace 20 or so goals from JVR with a good UFA signing. Who would have thought what Talbot or Jagr would have given us?

And either I or someone else has to come up with where our cap hit is now at the 70.3 million league ceiling? We might be able to replace 20 or so goals from JVR with a good UFA signing. Who would have thought what Talbot or Jagr would have given us?

@TJamesAltemose

The #Flyers now have $11,481,627 in cap space after this trade. That figure becomes $16,403,056 if Pronger's LTIR is maxed out.

With that much cap space....my question...do the Flyers let Carle walk, change the face of the defense even more and go "all in" on the UFA highly thought of Schultlz?!?!

Even though Schultz is highly sought after, he will be signed to an entry level deal. He probably wouldn't be too expensive.

That said, I think Carle comes back.

Greetings:

I am beginning to wonder if the Flyers Brain Trust sees the draft as more of a crap shoot and stockpile for the AHL than a direct feed (other than perhaps some first round people). Maybe they feel one Read a year makes more sense than the draft.

Peace,

Howie

@AlaskaFlyerFan I was under the imression that Schultz is a UFA, available to the highest bidder. I figired he gets more than 5 mill a year.

@jammer2,

I'm not a CBA-ologist so I don't know for sure. Maybe NoodlAziz will chime in on this. At any rate, a team would be effing stoopid to sign him for $5 mil a year. He hasn't played one pro game yet.

So, do we? He was MIA for most of last year. Now, if he goes on to score 30-35 goals are we going to be upset? That must be determined by Luke's play for sure. But we really didn't miss JVR's scoring last year. Did we?

I won't miss him at all. Despite showing some potential he has been injury prone and inconsistent. In the 2011 playoffs he looks like the second coming of John Leclair with driving the net, power moves, etc to being invisible on many nights. Unfortunately I think that is going to be the story of his career. With Schenn we get needed physical presence on D and a right handed shot.

As far as replacing the goals, a ton of posters were concerned about replaving Carter and Richards production and other people stepped up. I expect the same this season but still think we find another top two line forward.

@AlaskaFlyerFan I was under the imression that Schultz is a UFA, available to the highest bidder. I figired he gets more than 5 mill a year.

@jammer2,

I did a little research. Here is what I found:

9.3 Entry Level Compensation Limits.

(a) The maximum annual aggregate Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, Signing

Bonuses and games played bonuses permitted to be paid to a Group 1 Player shall be as

follows:

Draft Year NHL Compensation

2005 US$ 850,000

2006 US$ 850,000

2007 US$ 875,000

2008 US$ 875,000

2009 US$ 900,000

2010 US$ 900,000

2011 US$ 925,000

(d) Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agents will be subject to the maximum

annual aggregate compensation limits set forth in this Section 9.3 applicable in the Entry

Draft year immediately preceding the date on which the Player signs his Entry Level

SPC. For example, a Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent Player signed after the date

of the 2005 Entry Draft and prior to the 2006 Entry Draft will be subject to the maximum

annual aggregate compensation for Players drafted in the 2005 Entry Draft (i.e.,

$850,000). Such a Player will be subject to all of the other terms and provisions of this

Article 9, including without limitation, the terms of Exhibit 5 and the maximum annual

Signing Bonus for a Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent will be limited to 10% of the

Player's compensation in any League Year.

I think the age is "as of Sept 15". He will be 22 and is required to sign a 2 yr entry level deal.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I'm not sure how much bonus can be added to a entry level deal, but one of the things I read on Schultz is that he wants to go to a team that can guarantee his play in the NHL this year. Based on that I doubt he will be signing with the Flyers.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I'm not sure how much bonus can be added to a entry level deal, but one of the things I read on Schultz is that he wants to go to a team that can guarantee his play in the NHL this year. Based on that I doubt he will be signing with the Flyers.

If the NHLPA exercises its right to extend this Agreement until 2012, the maximum

annual aggregate Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, Signing Bonuses and games played bonuses

permitted to be paid to a Group 1 Player shall be U.S. $925,000.

@AlaskaFlyerFan Good find AFF, I know you can add incentives with bonuses etc, but according to your research....there will be no real bidding war. It might come down to who the kid wants to play for and how many reachable incentives that team is willing to toss into the deal.

Howdy:

I don't think we miss him. Schenn helps us more than an oft-injured JVR. The salary savings goes toward a backup goalie. I won't say he was a bust but it's clear JVR did not meet expectations. Frankly, I think Burke must have felt that Schenn was disgruntled in YYZ.

Peace,

Howie

• Like 1

Schenn was disgruntled in YYZ.

Heheh do you fly often Howie? I am just wondering how many non-Canadian message board residents would get the YYZ reference unless they were fluent in airport codes or unless the knowledge of YYZ is commonplace and I am just unaware. I used to live in Buffalo and I do travel often and would always be checking fares from BUF ROC YYZ and sometimes even SYR, ERI and even JHW. Oh well all we do know is that the Flyers will no longer be landing in JVR at least until we get him back after he wins the cup elsewhere.

Heheh do you fly often Howie? I am just wondering how many non-Canadian message board residents would get the YYZ reference unless they were fluent in airport codes or unless the knowledge of YYZ is commonplace and I am just unaware. I used to live in Buffalo and I do travel often and would always be checking fares from BUF ROC YYZ and sometimes even SYR, ERI and even JHW. Oh well all we do know is that the Flyers will no longer be landing in JVR at least until we get him back after he wins the cup elsewhere.

Poulin:

Nice hearing from you. I have flown into YYZ a few times; last girlfriend's hometown. I give at least a 50/50 shot he hits 35 goals up there. But I think this is a good trade. We need help on D and having the Schenns together might help both improve their game with mutual support.

Best,

Howie

P.S. I haven't flow into ROC for over 30 years..my grandmother lived there. But your comment brought back good memories.

@Howie58 Well, if JVR stays healthy....of course he should hit 30-35 goals....he was not even top 6 in Philly, in TO he will be playing on the top pp with Kessel. Burke will go out his way to wink/nudge his coach Wilson into playing JVR as much as possible (and really, why wouldn't he anyways...not a lot to work with there...who goes in front of him, Clarke McArther..LOL!!). Wilson knows how these unspoken things work....I don't fire you when you really deserve it, you find a way to make by big trade look better...ha ha.

Iteresting enough, I heard today on Sportsnet that it's Wilson's choice whether JVR plays wing or center. Burke said he envisions him on the wall, but the final decision is up to Wilson. Who knows, we were to deep to have him play there, but perhaps JVR can use his reach more with the open ice at center...less physical contact on the wall....better for a kid already concussed....who knows huh?

Jammer:

Glad we have a set of ears/eyes in Toronto. I think this is a good trade for the players involved; it allows for the proverbial "reset" of their careers. And I wish both well. My fear is that Schenn will have a lot of pressure on him as part of a rebuilt defense. But I wonder if the rebuild will work with Lavy's coaching style.

Peace,

Howard

@Howie58 Well, if JVR stays healthy....of course he should hit 30-35 goals....he was not even top 6 in Philly, in TO he will be playing on the top pp with Kessel. Burke will go out his way to wink/nudge his coach Wilson into playing JVR as much as possible (and really, why wouldn't he anyways...not a lot to work with there...who goes in front of him, Clarke McArther..LOL!!). Wilson knows how these unspoken things work....I don't fire you when you really deserve it, you find a way to make by big trade look better...ha ha.

Iteresting enough, I heard today on Sportsnet that it's Wilson's choice whether JVR plays wing or center. Burke said he envisions him on the wall, but the final decision is up to Wilson. Who knows, we were to deep to have him play there, but perhaps JVR can use his reach more with the open ice at center...less physical contact on the wall....better for a kid already concussed....who knows huh?

@jammer2,

Don't you mean Randy Carlisle? Wilson was fired last year.

@AlaskaFlyerFan ha ha....realized my mistake while reading today's Toronto Sun, but posted so much today could not remember which thread I made the mistake in...LOL! Apparently, young Luke fell out of favour with both Wilson and newly appointed Caryle. Hopefully Lavi has an open mind....pretty sure he will.

I'll say this about young James.

He has handled himself with class during the trade and the rumors leading up to the trade. Jeff Carter could take a few notes about how to be an adult from JvR.

he's a pretty mature guy for 22/23 and i hope he finds success, but not too much success.

• Like 1