So Do We Miss JVR?

Guest idahophilly

I am just wondering how many non-Canadian message board residents would get the YYZ reference unless they were fluent in airport codes or unless the knowledge of YYZ is commonplace and I am just unaware

There are non-Canadian Rush fans who know what it means. :)

• Like 2

This will come as a huge shock, particularly to Flyercanuck, but I really wasn't a huge fan of JVR. That said, in the brief stretches he played well, he was entertaining to watch. We'll miss that JVR. We won't miss the other 90% of the time, however. Like Idaho said, it will probably depend upon the play of Luke, but I don't think we'll miss what little production he brought this past season.

My fear is that Schenn will have a lot of pressure on him as part of a

rebuilt defense.

Hey @Howie58.

I'm thinking the message to Luke will be precisely the opposite, at least from management/coaching staff: "Keep it simple, hit, be physical. Don't panic!!!" LOL

I think they will do everything to help him succeed and that includes taking pressure off. Will the fans do the same?

Sure they will. They will be so busy yelling at Carle that they won't notice all of Luke's gaffs. Plus, he will hit people. Hard. All Flyer fans like the sounds of that!

The fans are gonna love him, you watch.

@Podein25 I think for me is....bottom line, throw Luke's hitting, shot blocking into the equation and the Flyers are a better team today then they were a few days ago. Tougher to play against. We lost a soft player who never lived up to expectations in a Flyer uniform. He might become a star, might be a bum...but today, I think we are better. I just pray the defensive lapses can be coached down to a minimum. If that happens, Flyers could win this deal large.

• Like 1

Hey @Howie58.

I'm thinking the message to Luke will be precisely the opposite, at least from management/coaching staff: "Keep it simple, hit, be physical. Don't panic!!!" LOL

I think they will do everything to help him succeed and that includes taking pressure off. Will the fans do the same?

Sure they will. They will be so busy yelling at Carle that they won't notice all of Luke's gaffs. Plus, he will hit people. Hard. All Flyer fans like the sounds of that!

The fans are gonna love him, you watch.

Podein:

I hope you are right. The big picture tell me that we are facing a redo of the defense. It may take some time to gel.

Howie

It may take some time to gel.

That's what pre-season is for ;)

I think the redo of the D is done. Carle will be re-signed. They went and got Grossman. Bourdon and Gus showed great promise and will compete for the 6-7 positions. It's all good man.

Cheers

• Like 1

So, do we? He was MIA for most of last year. Now, if he goes on to score 30-35 goals are we going to be upset? That must be determined by Luke's play for sure. But we really didn't miss JVR's scoring last year. Did we?

And either I or someone else has to come up with where our cap hit is now at the 70.3 million league ceiling? We might be able to replace 20 or so goals from JVR with a good UFA signing. Who would have thought what Talbot or Jagr would have given us?

JVR is a bust...plays with no heart..he'll be out of the league in a few years..

This will come as a huge shock, particularly to Flyercanuck, but I really wasn't a huge fan of JVR. That said, in the brief stretches he played well, he was entertaining to watch. We'll miss that JVR. We won't miss the other 90% of the time, however. Like Idaho said, it will probably depend upon the play of Luke, but I don't think we'll miss what little production he brought this past season.

As shocked as I am of hearing this, it's all so very true.

@orange_crush

Right, there's that, lol. You'll be in good shape. In all seriousness, I like the idea of Carle and Schenn paired up. Perfect match.

I honestly think somebody is going to overpay for Carle and we lose him.. Gus a good replacement anyway..yeah I'm excited about Schenn being here another physical dman..

Sure, whatever. Which one of those two will you hate more do you think?

I am actually still in the "I don't hate Carle" camp. At this point, though, even money. If Timo continues his downhill trend, it could very well up being him in my dog house. "What have you done for me lately" and all that rot.

@orange_crush

You might be right, as there are teams interested, e.g. EDM. But when you say overpay, how much do you mean? I could see a team offering slightly more than $5M, but not $6M. For a little more, you can get a real D-man, so I don't see it.

Like I said, if Carle walks for, say, $5.3M s he will have chosen to leave Philly for like $600k. I don't see the point of that. I still predict he re-ups for $4.75 or less in the coming days.

I honestly think somebody is going to overpay for Carle and we lose him.. Gus a good replacement anyway..yeah I'm excited about Schenn being here another physical dman..

Agreed. I would think that if he's not signed before July 1, he's gone.

@orange_crush

You might be right, as there are teams interested, e.g. EDM. But when you say overpay, how much do you mean? I could see a team offering slightly more than $5M, but not $6M. For a little more, you can get a real D-man, so I don't see it.

Like I said, if Carle walks for, say, $5.3M s he will have chosen to leave Philly for like $600k. I don't see the point of that. I still predict he re-ups for $4.75 or less in the coming days.

Now I'm wondering. Assuming we're slotting him for third pairing with Schenn, do you pay a 3rd pairing dman that kind of money? Unless we're wrong about third pairing...

@orange_crush

considering Wisnewski got 5.5 mill last year..I would expect Carle to get around the same..

...to me this was a case of ride out the potential --- which may turn into nothing special --- or SELL HIGH while you still can get value....

JVR just fetched us a solid, young defensman who can hit -- with many long, good years in front of him.....

I'd see Luke Schenn's stability and resume as a safer bet to add in a big area of need -- rather than HOPE for the higher upside and potential JVR may possibly reach

in a position of strength right now. Makes sense to me.....

• Like 1

Its kind of reminds me of the Clarkes trade: Justin Williams for Danny Markov. Markov did a huge first season with us and right then I loved that trade. In long term, not so much. I've got a bad feeling Luke will get a fresh start and make 1-2 better seasons than he had with the leafs and then maybe not develop much more. But who knows. I dont think JVR will have a great next season, but in 3-4 years he might just be a Rick Nash.