So Do We Miss JVR?

Guest idahophilly

Can't, salary cap.

I'm sorry, I got lost there. Can't what because of salary cap? Sign Carle?

They have quite a lot of cap room at the moment. So they COULD, but whether they will is an even-money call at the moment.

Or is that not what you meant?

Its kind of reminds me of the Clarkes trade: Justin Williams for Danny Markov. Markov did a huge first season with us and right then I loved that trade. In long term, not so much. I've got a bad feeling Luke will get a fresh start and make 1-2 better seasons than he had with the leafs and then maybe not develop much more. But who knows. I dont think JVR will have a great next season, but in 3-4 years he might just be a Rick Nash.

Remember your post and my response: If he's another Nash in 3-4 years (assuming you mean Nash until now, not Nash post-Heatley car ride), I'll send you your favorite case of beer.

I'm sorry, I got lost there. Can't what because of salary cap? Sign Carle?

They have quite a lot of cap room at the moment. So they COULD, but whether they will is an even-money call at the moment.

Or is that not what you meant?

Sorry, I was eating a two foot sub, only had one free hand. It was delicious.

I was referring to signing Carle, or anyone for that matter. That cap space doesn't kick in until after the new year begins, on July 1. So all the fantasy GM talk doesn't really work until then.

Sorry, I was eating a two foot sub, only had one free hand. It was delicious.

I was referring to signing Carle, or anyone for that matter. That cap space doesn't kick in until after the new year begins, on July 1. So all the fantasy GM talk doesn't really work until then.

I don't think that's accurate. The contract signed would start July 1, so it would apply to next year whether he signed it yesterday, today, or tomorrow. Of course it works.

The problem is with signing someone NOT a Flyer. They're technically someone else's property until 11:59 pm on June 30. That's what's preventing signing OTHER players until then, not what you seem to be indicating.

I don't think that's accurate. The contract signed would start July 1, so it would apply to next year whether he signed it yesterday, today, or tomorrow. Of course it works.

In order for a Club to sign such a Player to a multi- year SPC after December 1 of a season, the Club must have Payroll Room equal to or in excess of the Averaged Amount of the Player Salary and Bonuses for the remainder of such season. If, however, the Averaged Amount of the SPC exceeds the Club's Payroll Room for the then-current League Year, the Club may still sign such SPC, provided that it has Payroll Room and, if such Payroll Room is insufficient to acquire the SPC, it has an amount equal to one or more SPCs that will expire at the end of such League Year, in an amount equal to or in excess of the amount by which the Averaged Amount exceeds the Club's Payroll Room (the "Tagged Payroll Room"). Until such time as the Club has or makes Payroll Room in the current year in excess of such Tagged Payroll Room, the Club may not engage in any Player transactions requiring Payroll Room, including but not limited to, acquiring an SPC or "extending" or entering into a new SPC (the "Tagging Rule"). In the event the Club does have or creates such excess Payroll Room, it may use such excess Payroll Room in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.

Not a new league year yet, tagging prevents the signing.

2005 CBA, pg 212

Sec 50.5 Team Payroll Range System; Lower Limit and Upper Limit; Payroll Room; Lower Limit and Upper Limit Accounting. Subection e "Payroll Room" Sub-subsection iv "Signing of Mid-Season SPCs." Sub-sub-subsection C sub-sub-sub-subsection 2.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

@doom88

This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's IN-season language. All the examples associated are using in-season Neidermyer/Selanne-type examples

.If the Flyers agreed to terms with Carle they could sing him to the new contract yesterday, today, or tomorrow. The cap money for that new contract would apply July 1.

They could not actually sign him right now...the cap increase does not take place until July 1st....pretty sure that's when the 10% exemption starts also....so if they signed him today, they would be penalized large for being non-compliant with the cap.

Okay, I was coming back on simply to say to Doom that I wasn't confident enough to simply be saying "You're wrong!" It's just that (and maybe someone can help with this one) I can't think of an example of a club that had to wait until July 1 to sign their own player. Maybe I simply wasn't aware of the intricacies of why a player signing didn't go down a different way than it did.

I was thinking about Jagr. It's my understanding that the Flyers and he had a verbal agreement pending bonuses...but is this actually another example of this (waiting until July 1 to make it official)? For whatever reason, I thought the cap was based on a game amount and since the season was over they could go ahead and begin working on July 1 basis for new contracts (really worded goofy, but I hope someone somewhere followed that).

Remember your post and my response: If he's another Nash in 3-4 years (assuming you mean Nash until now, not Nash post-Heatley car ride), I'll send you your favorite case of beer.

I'll copy that! You better be around in about 3-4 years then :D;)

@ruxpin I'm no expert on this stuff, but if it was copacetic, why doesen't everyone do it? Has to be against the rules somehow.

I guess that's the crux of my difficulty getting my mind around this one. I was of the impression that everyone DOES do it.

the kid was draggin pick up trucks around parking lots in New Jersey last summer as part of his training , i don't think all of the "no heart" talk applies. he was inconsistent at best, but I don't think his disappearances in games is due to lack of effort or "heart" , that's crap,

I think JvR will be a good player in the league , he'll learn to where to apply himself and how to be more effective using his skill set and he'll be good.

It didn't work out here , good luck in YYZ but don't have too much good luck.

I won't miss how weird looking he was though, @podein25 that mole is kind of creepy.

• Like 1

the kid was draggin pick up trucks around parking lots in New Jersey last summer as part of his training , i don't think all of the "no heart" talk applies. he was inconsistent at best, but I don't think his disappearances in games is due to lack of effort or "heart" , that's crap,

I think JvR will be a good player in the league , he'll learn to where to apply himself and how to be more effective using his skill set and he'll be good.

It didn't work out here , good luck in YYZ but don't have too much good luck.

I won't miss how weird looking he was though, @Podein25 that mole is kind of creepy.

I don't like the "no heart" thing either, although I did wonder about his heart during the college stuff that went on. Watching him play, I would not characterize him as having no heart. Some bad luck, and some young kid inconsistent play. The problem is that if he DOES have heart, that might make him not such a good fit in Toronto.

Now I'm wondering. Assuming we're slotting him for third pairing with Schenn, do you pay a 3rd pairing dman that kind of money? Unless we're wrong about third pairing...

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the pairing. Carle on the third pair? Really? Your ice time leader, your top point producing d-man? Your leading shot blocker? On the 3rd pair? I don't think so. I think a lot will depend on how much time they want to give Timo, and how Schenn looks in camp, but I could see it ending up:

Carle/Schenn

Timo/Coburn

Mesz/Grossman

Carle/Mesz was a pretty good pairing after Pronger went out, so I could see that happening if Schenn doesn't immediately impress. But Schenn has been used as a top shut down guy by the Leafs (yeah I know, it was the Leafs... but still) so I could see the Flyers eyeing him for the top pair.

I agree with this. I never thought he lacked heart or drive. I thought he needed some confidence (which I think last year's playoffs gave him to an extent) and he needs more hockey sense. Like you say, he needs to learn how to apply his skill set (which is considerable) and if he does, he won't be fun to play against.

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the pairing. Carle on the third pair? Really? Your ice time leader, your top point producing d-man? Your leading shot blocker? On the 3rd pair? I don't think so.

This.