Disappointed

Guest flyercanuck

@Mad Dog It's sickening....you'd think *ONCE*....just *ONCE* we would catch a break. Part of it is inactivity....the Flyers sat back and let a kid like Lindback get scooped up for a few low round draft picks and a prospect I've never heard of. Why Homer was not in on that or the Vokoun situation...it's really beyond me. Not only did we lose out on Vokoun (who would have been a nice cheap back-up/stop gap measure for a few years) we watch as the Pens get Fleury insurance.

Let me start off by saying I had full confidence in Holmgren going in to the draft. He's done a nice job of picking players in the first round when he's kept the picks.

On a team overloaded with centers, it's still smart drafting to take the best player available. Scott Laughton? When Maata is still on the board on a team lacking defensive prospects? I'm scratching my head on this one. Not only is Maata rated way more highly (and why the heck did he fall to 22?) than Laughton, there are forwards I would have taken before him. Matheau? Gaunce? Then theres the whole "we traded Mike Richards for the next Mike Richards (Schenn) then drafted a poor mans Mike Richards. Why the heck not just keep the real deal?

I thought when we traded Bobrovsky that we had received Columbus' 2nd, which would be the 1st pick in the 2nd round. I was thinking we could grab Subban, but he went in the first. Instead, we get a guy who was cut TWICE from ECHL teams? I admit I know nothing about this guy. But cut twice from ECHL teams??? Yikes! Oh well, at least he's got size, he seems to be progressing quite fast, and he's NOT Russian.

Ok, so 3rd round we finally draft a defenceman. A big western defensive bruiser, right? No, we drafted a 5 foot 11 160 pound guy from Florida who wasn't picked by anyone the first yeat he was eligible. So he's actually a year older than almost everyone else drafted, and smaller. Yay.

JVR for Schenn? OK...what else do we get? What, straight up? Seriously? I like the idea of dealing from a position of strength for a weakness. But I think we got burned on this one. Lets hope Schenn completely turns his game around playing with his brother. He's physical, that's for sure. But man is he slow. This could be a win-win trade for both teams. But the way these two have underperformed, it may end up being a meh deal.

Laughton may turn out to be a good 3rd liner. I mean a really good 3rd liner. But if Maata turns out to be an allstar, I'm going to be pissed. Not feeling too warm and fuzzy after this draft. I hope I'm dead wrong.

I was happy the Flyers actually drafted a goalie...Laughton is supposed to be another RIchards so not a bad pick..imo....I like getting Schenn also for JVR...

overall seems like were still in a rebuilding phase rather than competing for a cup..

@orange_crush I don't think there is such a thing as re-build anymore. It's either playoffs or bust. When we made the finals after making the playoffs on a shoot out and LA won the cup as a 8th seed....there is no such thing as re-build....it's just make the playoffs and see what happens. There is only playoff teams and non playoff teams.

Edited by jammer2

@orange_crush I don't think there is such a thing as re-build anymore. It's eiter playoffs or bust. When we made the finals after making the playoffs on a shoot out and LA won the cup as a 8th seed....there is no such thing as re-build....it's just make the playoffs and see what happens. There is only playoff teams and non playoff teams.

ok but were still rebuilding by constantly acquiring younger players...whether they actually perform is a crap shoot..