Lots of cap space I think we may take a run at Parise and another dman

Guest RonJeremy

With all this cap space I think we are targeting an UFA, maybe Parise and the college kid dman, maybe even Suter, with Carle as a fallback if all else fails. With Mez and Timmo coming off back surgery You never can have enough defense.

Yep considering prongers cap is removed once the season begins and Schenns cap hit is I believe around 2m and removing some of the ahl players off the roster and back to the ahl we come in at around 18m in actual space. Pretty good if I'm right. But a lot goes towards carle and vorachek. What maybe 7m?

With all this cap space I think we are targeting an UFA, maybe Parise and the college kid dman, maybe even Suter, with Carle as a fallback if all else fails. With Mez and Timmo coming off back surgery You never can have enough defense.

That really isn't a lot of cap space considering Voracek, Harry Z, Bourdon, & Sestito still need to be signed (they all get a 10% raise per the CBA). Just those 4 players will eat up close to $5 Mil. Then they need a back up goalie. That will cost another ~$1 mil. Now you're down to $5 mil and don't have enough for Parise or Suter. Carle will be the fallback. There might be enough left for an entry level deal for Schultz if he wanted to play for the Flyers.

No guarantees Bourdon, Harry Z, or Sestito start in the NHL next season. Their cap numbers will be calculated by the number of days on a NHL roster. There is some cap space back right there.

With the obvious caveat, under the current CBA rules, which are all subject to change for this fall...

That really isn't a lot of cap space considering Voracek, Harry Z, Bourdon, & Sestito still need to be signed (they all get a 10% raise per the CBA). Just those 4 players will eat up close to $5 Mil. Then they need a back up goalie. That will cost another ~$1 mil. Now you're down to $5 mil and don't have enough for Parise or Suter. Carle will be the fallback. There might be enough left for an entry level deal for Schultz if he wanted to play for the Flyers.

Not sure where this whole "loads of cap space" thing came from? As you mentioned several players need to be resigned that are due bumps in salary. Pronger DOES count against the cap right now and until the season begins he can't be put on to LTIR for the year so we do not get the cushion in the offseason. Granted the CBA allows going over 10% (I believe?) over the cap in the offseason.

At this stage in the game we are pretty much out the running for any Parise, Suter, Weeber tpe FA. We will get outbid by other teams.

No guarantees Bourdon, Harry Z, or Sestito start in the NHL next season. Their cap numbers will be calculated by the number of days on a NHL roster. There is some cap space back right there.

With the obvious caveat, under the current CBA rules, which are all subject to change for this fall...

For the 2012-13 season, the Flyers have 19 players under contract, Roster size is 23. The Flyers have the 4th highest payroll right now without the players I previously mentioned being under contract.

While I agree that some of the guys may not start the year in the NHL, someone has to fill those roster spots. You won't get as big a cap break as what you think.

I forgot to mention this earlier. Brayden Schenn has that contract with the goofy clause about playing at least 25 mins in all 82 games. He will probably start the season in the AHL. That will give the Flyers $2 mil in cap space.

At this stage in the game we are pretty much out the running for any Parise, Suter, Weeber tpe FA. We will get outbid by other teams.

and that's fine by me. Zach Parise would never play for the Philadelphia Flyers - I should say: I can't believe he'd consider playing for the Flyers. He already ruled out the Rags. Only reason he didn't rule out the Flyers was because the stupid reporter didn't ask him about Philly.

Suter is Weber's partner. There is no telling how effective he'll be without Weber. The difference between those 2 is like the difference between Pronger and Carle. Carle was pretty good without Pronger. Will Suter be as good without Weber?

In any case he's in line for a big raise and it'd be just like the Flyers to overpay for another "savior" on D and then have him under-perform. I don't want Suter. I want to land Weber next summer when he's UFA. At that point our rookies will have 2 years NHL experience and their trade value should be even higher. Kimmo and Hartnell will be off the cap and so we *should* have enough cap$$ plus a few interesting young players to offer for Weber.

Edited by canoli

want to land Weber next summer when he's UFA. At that point our rookies will have 2 years NHL experience and their trade value should be even higher. Kimmo and Hartnell will be off the cap and so we *should* have enough cap$$ plus a few interesting young players to offer for Weber.

won't he be a UFA ? that's just money my friend and the chairman has lots of that....

Where is this "tons of cap space" people are talking about? I am assuming the Flyers still have every intend to re-sign Carle...... otherwise the Schenn's acquisition doesn't really do that much to improving the D. They also have to resign Voracek and Bourdon, which I am sure they plan on doing also.

So assuming Carle gets a moderate raise and his salary is at $4.5 or so (which was reported), the Flyers don't really have *that* much space available.

But........ I am assuming Jagr is gone. It is also pretty much guaranteed that the cap will go up by, I think, $6-$8 mil. Is this correct?

So in reality, when all is said and done, they will have some space available. But with JVR and (probably) Jagr gone, you suddenly need to bring in 2 forwards. I hope it's somebody good...

Don't really see how we have much cap space at all right now.

But the Penguins do.

If the Flyers make another big move, it will be via trade.

I do hope that they are looking into Schultz, though.

If this looks familiar its because i wrote it in another thread... prior to coffee, it fits better here.

Still not sure about Parise leaving NJ, I haven't read anything to make me think he's looking to leave only that he will NOT sign with the Rangers,. i've read speculation that he'd like to play in Minnesota since that's his hometown, but I think it takes a kings ransom to out bid NJ for him, the price will be cap crippling.

the guy was 2 wins from the cup with his team's best player (kovalchuk) at 70% because of his groin... I think he's more incllined to stay and see if he can lead that team to the big win than join up in some super powers combo elsewhere, playing with giroux is appealing as is playing with crosby but he's got it pretty good where he is too.

I don't put much stock in the Shattuck St-Mary's connection with Crosby being an inside track for anything,

a lot of typing to say Parise is in the ultimate big payday situation and likes to win, hard to see where detroit's 10's of millions of cap space isn't a huge player, while Pgh and Phi can pine for what would have been.

Does anyone know what kind of salary Justin Shultz will command? I'd love to see them take a run at him. This Schenn deal was not what I envisioned when I heard they wanted to really improve their D. So far is seems like his career has been very inconsistent, but maybe a change of scenery will be what he needs. I look forward to seeing him lay some guys out, but I fear he is going to get burned on the outside, because if I recall, he is not that fast. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

@jammer2 Ok, sometimes these guys all mesh together and I can't remember what I like or dislike about certain players around the league, so thanks for verifying. Thats a concern for sure. One of the worst feelings is seeing one of your slow defenders backing into the D zone while a speedy forward is revving it up down the boards. Hopefully Schenn won't be a pylon and can use his strength to knock the forward off the puck before he can get by. Again, this was not the defenseman I envisioned, but I always give a player a chance to prove me wrong.

Does anyone know what kind of salary Justin Shultz will command?

I have not seen his "salary requirements" the problem area with him is he wants to play in the NHL right away, not necessarily money... i know some really good defensmen have come from wisconsin's program but i'm not sure he's ready for 15 minutes a night against the best players in the world. the scouts project him as "not quite as good as the Mick on the Rangers" (a fellow badger). McDounagh is pretty good though. The NCAA model worked out pretty well for Matt Read, I would not offer the guy the moon, he's a good prospect but IMO he's not in a position to be bending teams over the counter to get what he wants. if we offer him big $ and then acquiesce on the playingtime and he isn't the second coming of Eric Dejardins he will make Matt Carle look like andre dupont on the message boards.

I have not seen his "salary requirements" the problem area with him is he wants to play in the NHL right away, not necessarily money... i know some really good defensmen have come from wisconsin's program but i'm not sure he's ready for 15 minutes a night against the best players in the world. the scouts project him as "not quite as good as the Mick on the Rangers" (a fellow badger). McDounagh is pretty good though. The NCAA model worked out pretty well for Matt Read, I would not offer the guy the moon, he's a good prospect but IMO he's not in a position to be bending teams over the counter to get what he wants. if we offer him big $ and then acquiesce on the playingtime and he isn't the second coming of Eric Dejardins he will make Matt Carle look like andre dupont on the message boards.

It is a touchy situation for sure in that he has no NHL experience. I just see him as a cheaper route to potentially bolster our D and to get young fast. If they re-sign Carle, I don't see them making a play for Shutlz. Now that they brought in Schenn, I really don't see them making any moves for any more D-men anyway. I hate when players are labeled as "Can't Miss" prospects because of the pressure it puts on them but it also makes then so tempting to target!

@adamsflyers

On our team I think of luke schenn as a derrien hatcher type, pair him with a guy that can really skate so he can stay put and play defense, if we can do that he'll have a good chance to succeed. if we try to make him into a swiss army knife puck moving guy we'll be disappointed.

I like that he hits, has the Schenn mean streak, and is right handed. it will make forwards think about dumping to his side cause they'll pay a price, like jammer says that 1.2 seconds can help make up for some of his lack of speed, if we can coach him up a little and give him a good partner to learn from he could be McCrimmonesque .

@Adamflyers A poster recently pointed out he will subject to an entry level contract.....sooooo, I envison his demands as follows

1) guaranteed NHL roster spot/playing time

2)incentive clauses in the entry level contract that are easy to achieve ie realistic money in his pocket

3) a contender

@adamsflyers

On our team I think of luke schenn as a derrien hatcher type, pair him with a guy that can really skate so he can stay put and play defense, if we can do that he'll have a good chance to succeed. if we try to make him into a swiss army knife puck moving guy we'll be disappointed.

I like that he hits, has the Schenn mean streak, and is right handed. it will make forwards think about dumping to his side cause they'll pay a price, like jammer says that 1.2 seconds can help make up for some of his lack of speed, if we can coach him up a little and give him a good partner to learn from he could be McCrimmonesque .

The Schenn mean streak is nice to have. I was not all that impressed with Braydon until I saw that mean streak come out (The Crosby incident comes to mind the most!). He actually seemed to play better overall once he started getting nasty out there. He throws some big hits for a forward, so I do look forward to getting that same nastiness on our blue line. Will be nice to have a healthy Grossman and Mez to throw some big hits as well. Maybe our blue line will be scary to cross this year.

Ah, McCrimmonesque would be so nice to see! I hope it turns out that way!!!!

@Adamflyers A poster recently pointed out he will subject to an entry level contract.....sooooo, I envison his demands as follows

1) guaranteed NHL roster spot/playing time

2)incentive clauses in the entry level contract that are easy to achieve ie realistic money in his pocket

3) a contender

So the only area they Flyers would have trouble with is the playing time. Someone would have to go in order for them to bring him in and Carle would be the only candidate unless a trade was made.

Don't see them letting Carle walk for Shultz to get playing time. Shame though, I wish the timing would work out better where he would be an easy guy to target.

Edited by Adamflyers

@mojo1917 Nice comparison mojo....that's exactly where Schenn's upside would take me to....at the very best....if he's anywhere around Brad McCrimmon's toughness combined with his vision ....well then the Flyers win this trade hands down, no matter how much JVR scores in TO. Sadly, the skating and dexterity will never be there...so perhaps comparision is a tad unfair...maybe Scuderi is a better fit to compare him to...as far as upside goes.