Bobby Ryan - "be a very ideal and comfortable place for me."

Guest OH1FlyersFan

Sorry if this is already been posted, but I just read this. And I like what I'm reading. This was on Yahoo Sports.

Bobby Ryan would like to find some comfort. It's not in Anaheim right now, where Ryan has grown bitter from annual trade rumors that are raging again this summer. Maybe it's in Philadelphia, which Ryan said would "be a very ideal and comfortable place for me."

His father Bob Ryan agreed: "In my mind, the Flyers are the best that there is."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bobby-ryan-casual-trade-demand-rocks-anaheim-ducks-160853804--nhl.html;_ylt=AjFAXcpNlnn1dHYrwjZEps17vLYF

Do you mean in terms of cap space, Digity? I thought we were sitting on something like $11 million based on what I thought I read in another post. I thought trading JVR cleared up some salary. We don't resign Jagr, Bob's gone, and if Carle is let go, then I think we could offer something that Ryan finds attractive. Having said all that, I'll fully admit, I don't know exactly where we stand relative to the cap after all these moves.

Next years first rounder is my offer. Valuable, but the Ducks can't keep him now. They get a contract, cap space, and a 1 for a disgruntled player. At least start with low balling to determine their desperation and avoid overpaying.

• Like 4

Next years first rounder is my offer. Valuable, but the Ducks can't keep him now. They get a contract, cap space, and a 1 for a disgruntled player. At least start with low balling to determine their desperation and avoid overpaying.

The Ducks have the look of a team that wants to clear cap space to make a run at a big name free agent or two.

Don't be surprised if they swoop in and sign Weber and/or Parise.

If they deal Ryan, you will know something big is brewing. (I say we should help them clear some cap space & take Ryan off their hands.)

WE CAN SEND THEM SHELLEY!!!!! Of course we will add Matt Walker and throw in Lilja to boot....Who could turn down a trade like that?!?!

Caveat>>>>>Please note the use of the designated sarcasm font......

I would love to see Bobby Ryan here but it is going to cost at the very least Matt Read or Harry Z and a 1st.

• Like 2

WE CAN SEND THEM SHELLEY!!!!! Of course we will add Matt Walker and throw in Lilja to boot....Who could turn down a trade like that?!?!

Caveat>>>>>Please note the use of the designated sarcasm font......

I would love to see Bobby Ryan here but it is going to cost at the very least Matt Read or Harry Z and a 1st.

LOL! C'mon Rod,

A). We can't part with Shelley because "He is a good lockerroom guy" and we all know how much the Flyers brass values that attribrute.

B. I heard that Matt Walker just bought a lovely farm house in Adirondack and is so happy there that he would refuse to report to another NHL/AHL team if he were traded.

C). Lilja went the opposite route of Giroux and told Lavi, "I don't know who you are planning to start tonight, planning to make a healthy scratch tonight, but it better be me." Lilja really has come to enjoy those pressbox conversations over popcorn with Bob Clarke.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

C). Lilja went the opposite route of Giroux and told Lavi, "I don't know who you are planning to start tonight, planning to make a healthy scratch tonight, but it better be me."

Damn you. I just spit my tea laughing when reading it. Hilarious.

Damn you. I just spit my tea laughing when reading it. Hilarious.

Sorry MD, hope you had some "Bounty-The quicker picker upper" near by. Glad you enjoyed it. nothing like a solid laugh to start the day :D - Sami

Edited by Samifan

@Mad Dog Just heard on Spotsnet, they had one of these talking heads on discussing the JVR trade....he suggested Philly and the Ducks are still talking about Ryan...and that Coburn is rumored to be part of the deal. Don't know where he is getting his info from....but on the surface it looks like getting Schenn and subrtacting Coburn does not make sense...not really getting ahead depth wise on defense, which is what the JVR was trying to accomplish. Still, I'd be willing to listen to the Ducks...colour me interested...lol.

Damn, Ryan would be ferocious on Giroux's line with Hartnell or Jake. But this would be very tricky deal to swing. Anaheim will want quite a lot, like Couturier or perhaps Coburn and more. Having just acquired L. Schenn, that begins to address needs on defense but Luke is not going be any kind of savior, just potentially a solidifying addition. So trading Coburn would put the Flyers right back where they were -- needing defense.

The forward corps is good right now, and adding a 30-goal guy like Ryan would be huge but they'd be foolish to let go of Couturier, or even B. Schenn. And how many picks do the Flyers have? I think the Ducks are going to want one or two good roster players & a pick, or maybe one really good player and two picks. What I mean by that is, while Jake might be an attractive offer to Anaheim, I doubt Jake and two picks does it. Jake + Read + pick might do it, but then we've lost two forwards and gained one. Or combination of forward + defense + pick. It's a pickle.

I simply don't know how they're going to get Ryan over here without a net loss of production or defense. Unless somehow Homer clears cap space enough that they can add Bobby Ryan AND Shea Weber. Which would be amazing but I fear the look of the rest of the team after that.

But you know Homer will try....

• Like 1

@GAFlyer I can see Read, Coburn and a 1st round pick being a starting point. I like your previous point " So trading Coburn would put the Flyers right back where they were, needing defense"....kind of what I was saying but more direct...anyways, we would have to weigh if putting Bourdon full time into the equation weakens the team in relation to Ryan's goal scoring as a plus.

I'd be inclined to shy away from this deal...first, the experience Coburn brings is not easily replaced...plus, and mabye just as important...if Read is moved up from the 3rd line and plays with Briere or maybe even Giroux...he could literally score more than Ryan. I'm not discounting the physcial presence of Ryan...but Read is also substantially quicker than Ryan...so we loss speed right there also.

Thanks, Jammer -- I think we're right in the same place on this. I can see the Ducks asking for guys like Giroux, Couturier, or Jake from the offense, and Coburn, Carle, possibly Mez from the D-side. And perhaps picks too.

I can see the Flyers saying G and Cooter and off-limits. I can see them mulling over B. Schenn, Simmer, Jake or Matt Read from the offense and Bourdon, Gus, Mez, or Brandon Manning from the D. I doubt they really want to part with Coby, and I am a Matt Carle fan (he's basically Ryan Suter in orange even if the haters won't admit it) so I'd not like to see him depart. And since he's UFA he's not likely a trade candidate until he signs. And we know Homer doesn't care how recently a player has signed ;) .

So to get Ryan, I wonder if Homer could offer up next year's 1st (assuming we have such a pick), and two of: Mez, Carle (if signed), Simmer, Jake, Read, Bourdon, or Gustavsson. And I wonder if that gets it done with benefit, at least long-term, to both sides. Just not sure....it'd be difficult to pull that trigger.

I'd also like to see a parallel effort to get Yandle, in which case we forego the idea of Bobby Ryan.

Who will run the power play when Timonen retires or moves on?

the dman PP quarterback thing isn't the only way it can be done. if you are running a straight umbrella, then sure, that deft guy at the point is the key, but if you build the PP off the halfwall the way giroux likes to do, the dmen are just two more sticks out there.

even now, timonen et al's role really is to just continue the distribution started by forwards hashmark-high along the boards. the dmen have to be good passers, but they don't have to be creative geniuses.

Well, the building off the half wall portion is why a lot of teams employ forwards at the point on the pp. Works well in some instances....but against a team like NJ, not very adviseable. Players like Praise and Henrique are so good at anticiapting, a forward back there equals a shorty or a least a legit scoring chance.

A big problem I have with the Flyers pp is the d-mans ability to create a passing lane by shuffling over a few yards at the blue line. Only Kimo has the ability to do it with any real success, so the Flyers are forced into creating situations which are sometimes forced and awkward. If we had a Yandle back there, the guy guarding the point would have to play back a bit to cover a potential newly created scoring lane.

Digging the technical discussion here... You guys are both right -- with the half-wall setup, you don't really need the Dman quarterbacking from the point or anywhere else on the blueline. But with a guy like Yandle, now we can have two PP styles and deploy different looks against different PK styles.

Besides all that, Yandle would be a fantastic addition if they can swing a trade. Timo isn't gonna be around much longer and Yandle is 25, and under contract for 5 years @ 5.25 million. Much better than a Weber contract would be, though it's not really apples-apples there. I'd be delighted with Yandle adding to the Flyers d-corp.

A big problem I have with the Flyers pp is the d-mans ability to create a passing lane by shuffling over a few yards at the blue line. Only Kimo has the ability to do it with any real success, so the Flyers are forced into creating situations which are sometimes forced and awkward.

that's true, good point. that is a thing that the PP has missed for a long time. since desjardins, really. then again, 6th in the league isn't bad, even with that limitation.

@GAFlyer I kind of thought this day would come. As I scouted Oliver Ekman-Larsson for fantasy hockey purposes (ended up picking him up and did quite well for me for a stretch) I realized Yandle and EL were basically the same player, but EL was cheaper and had higher upside. Would be nice to have both of them, but in the cap era, you realize having duplicated skill sets does not bode well....esp for historically cheap teams like the Yotes. Not that Yandle's contract is an albratross....the opposite really. I can see the Yotes actually demanding more because of his relitively low cap hit for 5 years.

Not really going to be able to low ball the Ducks. Ryan doesn't have a NTC so whoever wants to pay the price for him will get him. A 1st round pick offer with nothing else will not cut it, probably looking at a 1st, a younger dman (Mesz/Coburn), and probably a forward (Vorachek/Read) for them to even consider it. Regardless of where the player wants to go, he has no say in the matter without that NTC/NMC.

Would love to see Ryan in the O&B but be prepared to give up more than just a 1st round pick.

Not really going to be able to low ball the Ducks. Ryan doesn't have a NTC so whoever wants to pay the price for him will get him. A 1st round pick offer with nothing else will not cut it, probably looking at a 1st, a younger dman (Mesz/Coburn), and probably a forward (Vorachek/Read) for them to even consider it. Regardless of where the player wants to go, he has no say in the matter without that NTC/NMC.

Would love to see Ryan in the O&B but be prepared to give up more than just a 1st round pick.

My offer would be Read, Harry Z, Bourdon, and a 1st for Ryan. Then I don't resign Carle and make a big offer to Suter. We could have Timonen, Coburn, Suter, Grossmann, Schenn, and Meszaros as our D, with Lilja and Gustafsson as backups. I would call that a very positive offseason.