Bobby Ryan - "be a very ideal and comfortable place for me."

Guest OH1FlyersFan

HockeyCentral was just saying they think Ryan to Philly is almost a sure thing. And Coburn AND Voracek may be the players going back the other way. How does this make us better? It doesn't.

If that happens, it's plain stupid. I am all for adding Bobby Ryan to the roster, but that trade - unless someone else from Anaheim is coming to Philly - hurts the Flyers more than helps.

@brelic

I just hope Holmgren doesn't go out and overpay just to bring in a local boy. I'd rather have Coburn and Voracek than Ryan, and both of them could likely get much better over the next 2 or 3 years. Same goes for Schenn and Couturier.

I feel most secure when he's out there, so guess that goes a long way to my saying.....I think he's the best also. This would be a HEAVY price to pay for more goals, which we dont' really need.

with Coburn and Voracek going out, that's $6.75M going out and just $5.1M coming back so they gain $1.65M in cap space on the deal.

I think they figure they picked up a top 4 dman in Schenn. I think they feel, like some around here, that Bourdon may be ready for third pairing so they can save a little more.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Walker traded for a bag of pucks and Shelley waived to pick up $2.8M more space.

That gets them up over $7M in available space as I read it.

But I think that's making them a much more one/two line team. I much prefer going 3 lines with a pair of 20-goal-scorers on each...

I'm hoping that all this Ryan trade talk is "cover" for the "deception" and actually we're using it to leverage a position elsewhere.

i'm in 100000% agreement that trading Voras and Coburn for Ryan is about as dumb a move as could be made.

Don't know this guy... is he reputable? Says he works for talksportsphilly.com

Manayunk Mike@ManayunkMike

SOURCE: #Flyers have offered Meszaros, Read, and a 1st round pick in 2013 to #Ducks for Bobby Ryan. So far, no deal. Talks ongoing.

#Ducks really want help on D with Visnovsky gone. Main hold up is which F the #Flyers are willing to give. So far, they won't move Voracek.

#Ducks obviously like Voracek, but they are very high on Brayden Schenn as well. #Flyers won't move him.

Meszaros, Read and a 1st is way too much for Ryan. Read is still unproven and could take a step back this year...just as likely he could score a few more and nearly equal Ryan's goal total. No one knows...it's a crapshoot...but still...

Then Meszaros, who was excellent 2 seasons ago, maybe our best defenseman. Was that the season he won the Barry Ashbee trophy? Anyway, as long as he heals up OK, he will be extremely valuable to the Flyers.

And then a 1st rounder as a cherry on top...? I'd be happy to see Ryan on Giroux's wing, but if that's what it takes, no thanks. If Read regresses and we need goal scoring I'd rather pick up a rental at the deadline than make the trade posited above.

HockeyCentral was just saying they think Ryan to Philly is almost a sure thing. And Coburn AND Voracek may be the players going back the other way. How does this make us better? It doesn't.

I guess this assumes we resign Carle and don't have a hole to fill there too. That's an interesting combination.

My head tells me our most pressing area of need, other than goaltending, is on defense. I would be very slow to give up Coburn. He seems to be coming into his own, and getting better every year. About three seasons ago, I would have said dump Coburn as fast as you can. My opinion of him is a little higher now.

My heart tells me we can't ever have enough scorers and I like Jake. He's got great potential too. But, I'd rather see him go before Couts or Schenn or Read. If we have to give up a forward, does it make sense to trade Vorack for Ryan? On that level I kind of like the deal.

But with Coburn thrown in, it gives me a little heartburn. Just depends on what d-man we can sign during free agency to replace him. Justin Schultz? I'd be willing to take a flyer, no pun intended, in that.

I loved Holmgrens acquisition of Coburn. He's slowly been getting better and better, which is the usual course for defencemen. I'd tend to give them a lot more patience than a forward.

I'd trade Voracek before Couturier and Schenn too...but I'd keep him over Read. He's younger, and Read looked lost in the playoffs. I know it's his first kick at that can, but it was Jakes too. And I prefer his size. But really, I don't see the need for Ryan. And I sure as heck don't want to overpay for him. If we can get him for a good deal (good luck) then I'm in.

• Like 2

I loved Holmgrens acquisition of Coburn. He's slowly been getting better and better, which is the usual course for defencemen. I'd tend to give them a lot more patience than a forward.

I'd trade Voracek before Couturier and Schenn too...but I'd keep him over Read. He's younger, and Read looked lost in the playoffs. I know it's his first kick at that can, but it was Jakes too. And I prefer his size. But really, I don't see the need for Ryan. And I sure as heck don't want to overpay for him. If we can get him for a good deal (good luck) then I'm in.

There is no freaking way that Anaheim takes Meszaros, Read and a 1st for Ryan. None. Zero. Zilch.

You simply don't trade a bunch of spare parts of a Ford for a BMW. Doesn't happen.

Unless Ryan slept with Brind'Amour's wife. You know how that goes. :ph34r:

@radoran

Sure. And hopefully they don't take Voracek and Coburn.

Though I have seen spare parts of a Ford traded for a BMW before. Matt (Model T) Ellison says hello.

Yes, but Sharp was only a 3 series and he played NCAA hockey, so...

And Sharp hadn't quite kicked the dust off the tires by scoring 30 for years in a row.

Sturm at least had been a 3-time 20-goal scorer who did post seasons of 23, 27, 27, (7 in 19), 22 after the trade.

Thornton was (is apparently still is) a prima donna who may wind up without his name on the Cup...

I think Tronno will be happy to get a 25-goal scorer at $4.25M for the next six yearss, for example, if that happens. And I think the Flyers would think a proven 30-goal scorer for $5.1M is worth the value for the next three seasons as well.

@radoran 4.25 for 25 goals....that is in and around market value. Let's be honest here, the Leafs are going to want JVR to look good, he will play on the 2nd line with Grabo (their best passing center) and will be on the top pp with Kessel....guaranteed. He can score 25 in those kinda scenarios....he almost did that in limted playing time and #2 pp in Philly. I get why you're throwing it out there....it's the minimum (at least that's my opinion) he would *probably* score. He gets more, than the Leafs vaule goes up and up...and Burke looks better and better. That's why his ice time will double...the more he scores, the more it vindicates Burkes hockey knowledge. Ditto for Ryan and Philly.

• Like 1

the only thing i can think is an arms race against pittsburgh. the talk of parise to pitt might have holmgren thinking he needs to escalate.

• Like 1

the only thing i can think is an arms race against pittsburgh. the talk of parise to pitt might have holmgren thinking he needs to escalate.

The only thing that needs to be escalated is our defensive game. I have no idea how Ryan for Coburn and Voracek makes the Flyers better. Granted I haven't seen Ryan play much, but this seems to be going in the wrong direction. Change for change's sake alone is not wise.

@sarsippius

i'm not saying i agree, just saying that could be the thought process. d gets weaker, o gets stronger. i've said before that defense alone isn't going to make up for bryzgalov. any brief posession the other team has in the flyers defensive zone stands a fair chance of going in, no matter how well the dmen have gone about breaking up complicated plays. when an easy flick of the puck from the tops of the circles is a real threat to beat your goalie, how important is it really to be able to break up crosby's finesse thread-the-needle passes? you want to protect bryzgalov, you keep the puck as far from him as possible, and that means having the strongest posession offense you can build.

• Like 1

@ In theory, that is a fine solution. Problem is, the Devs and Rags defense are specifically set up to stop the cycle and make quick, crisp puck decisions. That seems to be an issue for the Flyers, being able to effectively impose their will on opposing defences. I think the addition of Ryan and the subtraction of Jagr and JVR could go a long way to solving that problem. By all accounts, Ryan is a bull on the puck and wins a lot of those one on one battles that leads to extended cycles. Talking in generalities here of course. Jagr was quite decent at protecting the puck with his body and twisting and turning...but during the playoffs when real estate gets tougher to come by...not so much. Having Wellwoood on the ice for more time would help also.