Shane Doan, anyone?

Guest DaGreatGazoo

Like many here, I LOVE what Doan brings. Could be just as heartwarming as the Ray Bourque deal...one last chance to capture Lord Stanley...let's hope it ends the same way. Gotta think Shane would want at least a 2 year deal, but maybe money not as important as the length and the teams chances to win...that would put us in the picture I believe. Maybe a players option on the second year, giving him flexibility to walk away or change teams if the Flyers falter...

@DaGreatGazoo

that thought makes me feel all funny inside....

that guy is damn brute, imagine how much ice G has to work with, when doan is flattening defensman, we can give him a half million a year raise and not kill ourselves, he's a leader, he plays the right position, is durable, he will no doubt get more PIM in the orange sweater and is a repeat offender. but i have always liked him . this is an intriguing idea that i can get behind.

edit:

@davies & @jammer2 posted while i was writing... i totally agree on the length of contract issue, at 36 a 4 year deal is too long, 2 with an option is how i'd approach it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I missed the 4 year part..I wouldn't do that either...2 with a bit more $$ to attract him. Personally, I have always loved his game! Just not sure he'd be willing to come 3,000 miles east. But like Mojo, imagine him on G's wing..he could very well score 30-35!

@DaGreatGazoo Shane has to realize this 35+ clause is in effect...he has to tone down the 4 year demand. No true contender will commit 4 years to a guy who might have 1 year left, esp when it counts on the cap for the full 4 years. He will be left to troll the Leafs and Wilds of the league with those demands. How about 2 years and wink/nudge that he will be retained as a scout/asst coach after his playing years are over? Gives him a chance to win now and security beyond his playing years....seems like a win/win if you ask me.

Doan would be a great fit for a 2yr deal but if we're dealing w/Phoenix, a trade for Yandle needs to be in the conversation. Yandle is under contract next five years at 5.25 cap hit. He's 25. That's a tough cap hit for the Flyers, but since it's a trade they might be able to balance it out.

Adding Schenn is good for the bottom or 2nd parings; adding Yandle gives us a younger PP quarterback and a great all-around top-pair Dman, which will be necessary after the Finnish God of Defense plays his last season here. And it only helps this year.

But the price could be high. I'm not sure what Phx would be seeking in return.

• Like 1

I am all about signing Shane Doan here. We could keep our scoring depth in tact and bolster our top line without going up anyone. plus he would be cheaper than Parise. I have doubts that Parise wants to come here. He may feel like he is in Giroux's shadow since he said he felt that way in Jersey under Kovy.

• Like 1

Doan would be a 35+ signing and has been the captain in Phoenix (a team which got further than the Flyers this past season) through some of the most turbulent times and has played his entire career there.

I would love to see Shane Doan in O&B.

Why would he leave Phoenix?

Why would he leave Phoenix?

Isn't there some uncertainty as to whether they might move or not? Are they a stable franchise? I don't know if those questions would be enough to make him sign elsewhere, but you never know what the guy is thinking or looking for.

Isn't there some uncertainty as to whether they might move or not? Are they a stable franchise? I don't know if those questions would be enough to make him sign elsewhere, but you never know what the guy is thinking or looking for.

At 36 the things you mention, they matter.

Bryzgalov might be a hinderence though.

• Like 1

He has said he will "test the market" but Glendale just approved the extended lease on the building for the former owner of the Sharks.

All reports are that they are now most likely staying in Phoenix. He's the last of the original Winnipeg Jets. He's played sixteen years in Phoenix - the whole length of the franchise's existence. He's as much of the "face" of the Coyotes as exists. If I'm a prospective owner, I want Shane Doan on my new purchase.

Four years and likely a stone cold NMC that even Homer can't get out of.

What's the rate? He made $4.5M last season. Four years and another 35+ deal with an NMC?

I have a sneaky suspicion that Doan is "testing the market" to get a fair value for a career-ending deal in Phoenix... Could be wrong.

• Like 1