Shane Doan, anyone?

Guest DaGreatGazoo

@Polaris922

Totally agree...I was simply pointing out that while Doan might want to stay in Phoenix, business decisions may force him to leave, or at least strongly consider it.

Yup... Though it sounds like there's some stability there now from the city and prospective buyer?

Like everybody else, I would be thrilled to see Doan come to Philly. He is a prototypical Flyer..... plays the game the right way, doesn't cheat, doesn't take shifts or games off, always finishes his checks, and, not the least important, is a decent goal scorer. He would bring a toughness component to the team and will really complement Hartnell and Simmonds in that department. You just can't have too many players like that on your team.

One potential drawback is his age. I think at 36, he is finally starting slowing down a bit, although that slow-down has not been too pronounced yet. I think you can count on him to continue giving you steady 45 points for at least another 2 years. Signing him for anything more than that would be a bit of a risk, but I know he will easily get that with either with Phoenix or with any other team.

I just don't see it happening though. He's been a heart and soul of that team for such a long time... And Dave Tippett loves the guy (what's not to love?). I will be absolutely STUNNED to see Phoenix not re-signing him.

• Like 2

I don't understand what you mean by that actually.

I think he'd a be a beast on a line with Giroux.

It's like Ray Bourque won the Cup with Colorado but wasn't really "Ray Bourque" while doing so.

Doan is the heart, soul and face of the Coyotes. I concur that he c/sh/would look great on Giroux's wing, but would he have the same impact here that he does in Phoenix?

Not at *all* saying "don't sign him." I've been a Doan fan for many years and he's frequently been on my FHL squads.

@canoli Kinda stating the obvious, but after the Richards fiasco, many Flyer fans (and rightfully so) are super gun shy about the captaincy. For now, all signs lead to Giroux, but a few more years would not hurt. We know first hand what rushing a kid into the all imporant role can do....

Yep but the Flyers will probably make Giroux captain next season. I'm guessing they were okay last year going without a captain - with Pronger's injuries and his status in question they didn't want to disrespect him (though I doubt he would've taken it that way) - but at this point they know he won't be back - ever - so it's time.

Maybe Giroux is ready now but I can't help but think - like you - that "a few more years would not hurt." Kimmo would get my vote - for his final year (probably) with the Flyers. He seems like the bedrock that the team is grounded on - sort of like "how Kimmo goes so goes the Flyers"...

It appears that Kimo would be a perfect stop gap measure. It gives G a year to develop further (ie dealing with refs, being a leader, speaking up when needed) and puts a nice cheery on the top of Kimo's storied Flyer career.

• Like 1

If they'd just given the C to Timonen backinnaday, Richards might just still be here.

I'm not so much worried about the C on the jersey of a Flyer player, I'm worried about the capacity of the people who've been giving it out to do so responsibly.

IMO, there is *no way* you give Giroux the C right now. NOT because he's not good enough, but because he doesn't need it and the team doesn't need him to have it.

There is no hole in captaincy. The team is fine without an "official" C on ice.

Not captaincy, capacity. We need more leadership and heart and grit on this team. I like that Giroux brings it, but he could benefit from learning from a guy like Doan as well.

That type of leadership is still lacking on this team and it came through against Jersey. I know there were other factors as well, but leadership was still lacking.