Shane Doan, anyone?

Guest DaGreatGazoo

I don't know if Giroux wants the C.

I feel like his personality is just to be humble and play hard. I don't think he necessarily wants to lead, I think he just wants to win. While those are all characteristics I want in a captain, I don't know if adding that pressure to Giroux just as he is becoming an NHL superstar is wise.

Also, this team is not void of leadership and grit. I just think it is lacking enough of it. Doan would provide more. The team doesn't have enough of it.

• Like 1

I don't know if Giroux wants the C.

I feel like his personality is just to be humble and play hard.

I think so too. But he also can be a "quiet leader" - the captain Joe Sakic was... just work hard (like you said), lead by example, take sacrifices and the team will follow you.

Here is a question for everybody. Does anybody know when Saskic was actually made a captain? In other words, how long was he with the Avs (well, going back to the Nordiques) before they gave him the C?

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog Sakic spent his whole 20 year career with the Nords/Aves franchise. He was captain for 16 of those seasons. In his third year he was named co-captain and the following year he was the only one wearing the C. Second longest consecutive year streak for captaincy of a franchise. Not sure who number one is, but I'm think maybe Stan Mikita?

@jammer2

Ok, so from the standpoint of "incubation period", Giroux was with one team long enough, probably, to warrant captaincy. That's why I asked that question about Joe. I don't think we can say the Flyers would be rushing Giroux into that role. And I just think somehow that it will be different from the Richards' fiasco. I think Giroux's personality is more conducive to not go belly up. I don't have anything to back it up with - just a hunch.

But I think they need to have a captain. The team needs to have a sense of stability.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Mad Dog, June 30, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Mad Dog, June 30, 2012 - No reason given

@jammer2

Ok, so from the standpoint of "incubation period", Giroux was with one team long enough, probably, to warrant captaincy. That's why I asked that question about Joe. I don't think we can say the Flyers would be rushing Giroux into that role. And I just think somehow that it will be different from the Richards' fiasco. I think Giroux's personality is more conducive to not go belly up. I don't have anything to back it up with - just a hunch.

But I think they need to have a captain. The team needs to have a sense of stability.

I'd be ok with Kimo for a year to bridge the gap.....just make 100% it's not rushing G into anything. I think emotionally he is already the leader. This would be a nice gesture for Kimo also, he's had a great run as a Flyer.

@Mad Dog Sakic spent his whole 20 year career with the Nords/Aves franchise. He was captain for 16 of those seasons. In his third year he was named co-captain and the following year he was the only one wearing the C. Second longest consecutive year streak for captaincy of a franchise. Not sure who number one is, but I'm think maybe Stan Mikita?

How long was Yzerman captain?

@Phillygrump Yep, you nailed it Grumpster...Steve Y was named captain at 21 and went on to serve for 19 straight seasons...a record for any captain in North American sports for a single team. Maybe Stan Mikata was 3rd? I seem to remember him being C for quite a while...think Johnny Bucyk was captain of the Bruins for a while also.

Yzerman?

@Phillygrump Yep, you nailed it Grumpster...Steve Y was named captain at 21 and went on to serve for 19 straight seasons...a record for any captain in North American sports for a single team. Maybe Stan Mikata was 3rd? I seem to remember him being C for quite a while...think Johnny Bucyk was captain of the Bruins for a while also.

So, Claude Giroux is now a combination of Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman. I think we left out Mark Messier.

How is the view from those orange-and-black coloured glasses?

They clearly should have made him captain when he was still with Gatineau...

Oh, wait, he was never captain in Gatineau.

• Like 1

So, Claude Giroux is now a combination of Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman. I think we left out Mark Messier.

How is the view from those orange-and-black coloured glasses?

They clearly should have made him captain when he was still with Gatineau...

Oh, wait, he was never captain in Gatineau.

Rad, I don't think anyone is declaring him anything like that. In fact I actually would prefer he not be named captain even though I like everything about him as a player.

@radoran ha ha...I was merely pointing out other young stars that had been appointed captain early in their careers. Was not comparing G to those guys, just trying to get a feel for the timing of other young guns being given the reigns of a team early on. Kind of taking the conversation out of context there rad....

@radoran ha ha...I was merely pointing out other young stars that had been appointed captain early in their careers. Was not comparing G to those guys, just trying to get a feel for the timing of other young guns being given the reigns of a team early on. Kind of taking the conversation out of context there rad....

Jumped on it a bit, I realize :-)

I would just *really* like to let G be G before he has to be more than that.

There are two former captains on the roster right now: Briere and Timonen. I'm not chapter and verse on the "extra duties" that captains need to do (which came up under Forsberg's memorable stint with the C) but at least they've got the experience to do all of that and give Giroux the freedom of the A to keep focused on playing.

Briere would be a nice choice because of the 3-year deal, which would make an ideal transition to Giroux. Timonen likely as well if you're convinced he'll be with the team on reasonable deals for a season or two after next.

@radoran I see your point rad, I agree. It's to early to have G worrying about the C....just let G be G. I said the same thing earlier in this thread, just to a lesser extent with Kimo and the one year thing. If it is Kimo and G is not ready to assume the role, then it has to be somebody who is on the ice quite a lot, late in games etc.

I realize it's a sensitive topic that's been beat to death over the years. The pros and cons of the Richards captaincy still give me headaches. The cool part is it leads back to Bobby Clarke, who all Philly captains will forever be compared to....which in a historical kind of way still makes Clarkie relevant...so that part is cool for me.

great point - about Clarke. And let's face it who better emulates what Bobby Clarke did on the ice than Claude Giroux? The guy is all about winning, work ethic and rising to a challenge, the way BC was.

That last game in R1 where he tells Lavy "I want that 1st shift" - that should be on t-shirts, that's as memorable as it gets. Bobby Clarke could've said it 40 years ago. And what makes it memorable (and historic) is what Giroux did on that 1st shift: knocks NHL PosterBoy Crosby to the ice, creating time and space for the Flyers to attack, then rifles a shot over Fleury's glove to score a goal - all in 30 seconds.

Man oh man. There have been some amazing shifts over the years in Flyers' history but that one was epic - and straight out of Bobby Clarke's playbook.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather just sign Doan for 3 years at a reasonable rate than drastically overpay for one the two marquee free agents this year. (Let's be honest, it's slim pickings.)

And I'd also rather do that than give away one of the young guns on this team.

If I do anything in a trade, I try to get Yandle from PHX and let Carle go be overpaid by someone else.