Wings feel Frk has first round talent

Guest jammer2

http://www.freep.com/article/20120624/SPORTS05/206240591/Red-Wings-think-2nd-round-pick-Martin-Frk-has-1st-round-potential?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

After trading away their first round pick for defensive depth at the deadline (Quincy), the Wings did very well for themsleves at the draft. This Frk kid was rated as high as the mid first round by many, so to get him at #45 is quite a coup for the Wings. The Saginaw goalie is also highly thought of by my OHL contacts....so all accounts is another quality pick in a spot where the team needs depth.

I have seen quite a bit of their 4th rounder, Andreas Athanasiou (AA for our purposes...lol). Speedy little guy with a ton of upside on a young London Knights team that will continue to get better. Really think they stole this kid in the 4th round.

• Like 1

@WingNut722

@jammer2

I've only seen Frk play like 5-6 times over the last two years, but I just don't see it. There's not much in his game that I like. He has some talent obviously, but he has always struck me as a player that is easy to shutdown/neutralize. And I can't be alone in thinking that, because he is invisible for large chunks of games.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Podein25

I pulled out this year and last years THN prospect report to read up on the Wings picks. A.A. was rated as a high 2nd rounder/low first and Frk (couldnt he borrow a couple of extra vowels from Andreas Anathasiou?) was rated the 9th best prospect last year, and slipped due to injuries. Everything I have read has him as a power forward with a nose for the net. Very excited about the pickup.

@yave1964

Not $5M. MAAAAAYBE $4M, depending on which Jiri shows up for you. He was quite valuable this year--more than most expected. Good for the shootouts too, which is important...for the regular season. Hard to say $5M or even $4M if you look at his last few seasons though as a whole. For crying out loud, he was being benched for the black aces a couple seasons ago toward the end of the regular season, certainly the low-point of his career.

@yave1964

Not $5M. MAAAAAYBE $4M, depending on which Jiri shows up for you. He was quite valuable this year--more than most expected. Good for the shootouts too, which is important...for the regular season. Hard to say $5M or even $4M if you look at his last few seasons though as a whole. For crying out loud, he was being benched for the black aces a couple seasons ago toward the end of the regular season, certainly the low-point of his career.

Hudler had the craziest bunch of goals I have ever seen last year, bounces off his feet, his arm, shots he fired that deflected off the other teams d-men. I cannot think of too many of his shots that were pure goal scorer shots that went in. That said, he still is ahell of a shootout guy, a good teamate, hope we find a way to keep him, but my bet is he winds up in Tampa with Stevie Y.

@yave1964

Meh. I'm not a big Hudler fan, but I have to give him more credit than that. He scored some really important goals for us at times this season. Timely and actually from near the crease. That was part of my gripe with him--too small to score while mucking it up. Maybe it was because it was the final year of his deal, but he definitely stepped it up. As far as the puck luck goes, sometimes you make your own luck. Go to the net, and those things tend to happen. The previous season, it was like he didn't even know where the net WAS!