Backup goalie

Guest orange_crush

...i find that it's hard for shooters to beat me when they are going, "wait, huh? that makes no sense." very effective tactic...

No doubt.

But wait 'til I send the blind, deaf and mute player "flying" down the wing at you. Then you'll be in a heap of trouble.

Here is the *REAL* reason to sink a few million into the back up spot (ie Clemmer or Montoya)....there is a chance of an amnesty clause in this new CBA....so we can (and I believe *will* if possible) send Bryz packing. Only one year in, but if *anyone* can afford to toss around 50 mill, it's COMCAST. Snider forced Homer into this, time for him to man up, send Bryz on his way and call it a day. Screw this decade of uncertainty. Let's get back on track. Sign Clemmer or Montoya, send Bryz packing....sign another stiff (Hasek or Huet?) to back up Clemmer and use the 5 mill you saved and explore your options with your new found cap space.

@jammer2

I think with the departure of Bobrovsky we are not going to see anything close to this happening. I fully expect some stiff that will not challenge Bryzgalov for the starting position and that will be that.

If there is any buy-out clause, I would fully expect them to buy out Pronger. Bryz is a huge question mark, but Pronger is just wasted cap space at this point.

@Bertmega Pronger can be LTIR'ed forever...literally until his deal ends. Is it a perfect scenario....no, not by any means, but at *least* we do get the money back. Bryz is a total waste. He showed us what we are getting, a guy who allows 4-5 goals a game when it matters most. It was not a fluke, the proof is in the stats. Even when things tightened up against NJ, he allowed the back breaking soft goals we have all become accustomed to...

@Podein25 Call it weird intuition, but I knew from the first week that Kuato would inevitably destroy philly.com. He became a symbol of everything that is wrong over there. Once I realized he was just smart enough to not make personal threats ect...(which basically gave him carte blance to stick his nose into every thread with no repercussions)....that was it...he effectively killed that plaace. I still believe to this day he *rarely* watched any Flyer games. He is just picking up little pieces of what other posters say and basing a vague opinion on that. I doubt he is even a sports fan at all. Just a weird cross dressing excuse for a drama queen.

@Bertmega Pronger can be LTIR'ed forever...literally until his deal ends. Is it a perfect scenario....no, not by any means, but at *least* we do get the money back. Bryz is a total waste. He showed us what we are getting, a guy who allows 4-5 goals a game when it matters most. It was not a fluke, the proof is in the stats. Even when things tightened up against NJ, he allowed the back breaking soft goals we have all become accustomed to...

yeah, the "stats don't lie" - in the two games the Flyers managed more than two goals they were 1-0-1

And hyperbole is not your friend - Bryz allowed four goals in one game - the OTL.

You're too good to using the "Bryz lost the New Jersey series" trope. Because we both know it wasn't "just" him by a longshot ;-)

@jammer2

Wait are you still mad about this?

I agree with the LTI thing, but Pronger's cap hit hurts us the most when it counts (free agency time). I am hoping that is gets figured out sooner rather than later.

Edited by Bertmega

@jammer2

Agreed. As far as I can tell his tiresome schtick is the textbook definition of trolling. That's why I never felt remotely bad for belittling and insulting him. That he thought he could fool people like yourself who really know the game and have lived in the game is kind of strange. It suggests he's not too bright.

@radoran ha ha...I was just kinda over-generalizing to make it fit my agenda :) I know there were many variables in the NJ loss.

Anyways, you have to admit, if we didn't have the *historically* catastropic collapse by Fleruy and the Pens, we would not even have played the Devs. That series by Bryz (defensive break-downs and lack of backchecking aside), was by far the worst thing I've ever witnessed as a Flyers fan in the playoffs....MONUMENTALLY bad.

Edited by jammer2

@radoran ha ha...I was just kinda over-generalizing to make it fit my agenda :) I know there were many variables in the NJ loss.

Anyways, you have to admit, if we didn't have the *historically* catastropic collapse by Fleruy and the Pens, we would not even have say the Devs. That series by Bryz (defensive break-downs and lack of backchecking aside), was by far the worst thing I've ever witnessed as a Flyers fan in the playoffs....MONUMENTALLY bad.

I have to admit that most "experts" at the start of the season "didn't know where the offense would come from" for the Flyers and picked the Pens to win the Cup.

The Flyers finished second in goals and beat the Pens in the first round.

Again, I'm just "half full" on this. I think the Flyers got further than "most" thought when the season started and I think they are well-positioned gong forward (pending Homer blowing it all up again). I don't have al the confidence in the world in Bryzgalov, but I believe he can play better and more consistently than he did.

@Podein25 "It suggests he's not to bright"

ha ha....I don't think he was in the business of deception per say. He just wanted the world to embrace his weirdness. When somebody starts out posting regualr, switches to third person and then proudly declares he is spirtually joined at the hip of a non-human entity....well, unstable and pround comes to mind...LMAO!

Agreed. As far as I can tell his tiresome schtick is the textbook definition of trolling. That's why I never felt remotely bad for belittling and insulting him. That he thought he could fool people like yourself who really know the game and have lived in the game is kind of strange. It suggests he's not too bright.

Call it weird intuition, but I knew from the first week that Kuato would inevitably destroy philly.com. He became a symbol of everything that is wrong over there. Once I realized he was just smart enough to not make personal threats ect...(which basically gave him carte blance to stick his nose into every thread with no repercussions)....that was it...he effectively killed that plaace. I still believe to this day he *rarely* watched any Flyer games. He is just picking up little pieces of what other posters say and basing a vague opinion on that.

@jammer2 @Podein25

The best part is he started a thread a few weeks ago and declared that the sight of former Flyers raising the Cup in LA was just too much for him to bear, so he will no longer longer be posting on silly.com. Translation: "I drove 99% of the actual hockey fans from the board and there's nobody left to **** with, I've destroyed the board now I'm leaving." Thanks d*ck.

http://forums.philly.com/discussions/Flyers_Forum/General_Flyers_discussion/Were_calling_it_a_career/kr-flyers/86734.1?nav=messages

• Like 1

@flyerrod Which poster was in love with Esche, was always putting him on a pedestal, claiming he deserved #1 status....something Bob?? ha ha...just another in a LOOOOONGGGG list of goalies I NEVER want back in the O&B....my list goes...in order of hatred

1)Leighton

2)Boucher

3)Esche

4)Nittimaki

5)Bobrovsky

Sure I missed some active stiffs....there are enough of them.

ie, that memory part of the brain just kicked in...I'm thinking KansasBob...well, a Bob with a state in front of it anyways...LOL! Sad I can't remember this...only a few years ago...geez.

Edited by jammer2

@flyerrod Which poster was in love with Esche, was always putting him on a pedestal, claiming he deserved #1 status....something Bob?? ha ha...just another in a LOOOOONGGGG list of goalies I NEVER want back in the O&B....my list goes...in order of hatred

I actually don't have anything against Esche. Yes, just like every other goalie who we had for........ like....... ever, he was a one-year wonder. But I thought he really had a stellar year that season when the Flyers lost to Tampa in the ECF. I don't remember any soft goals that stuck in my memory. Of course, taht whole team pulled together, but I would say after Primeau (obviously), Esche was probably the team's second MVP. I think especially in the Toronto series he was quite amazing.

But all in all, I agree, nothing to shed tears over...

Whew, I would have been able to stomach Biron...but barely. I want no BUM ex-Flyer goalies on this team!! Having said that, Biron was respectable for the Rags last year, so 1.3 is pretty fair market value. Fair for both the team and Beer-run.

No Boucher, No Biron......Leighton is likely Holmgren's back -up plan if he isn't able to land say Clemmenson, or Montoya. Peters might also be a decent option.

If there's a goalie out there that won't have the fans wishing the backup played more, it's Leighton.