Justin Schultz

Guest OzFlyer

Sounds like this kid has a bad case if entitlementitis. Demanding to be on the NHL roster? To me that means he puts himself above the team and believes in having a spot handed to him without needing to prove he deserves it.

These "demands" could just be more like preferences. There is nothing wrong with the kid wanting to go to the place where he will get the most opportunity to play in the NHL, but the one way contract is ridiculous.

It sounds like he wants a spot handed to him which makes me think he believes his own hype. That spells trouble to me. That is the kind of thing that, in my opinion, translates to a suspect work ethic and lack of competitiveness.

But as far as wanting the best opportunity to play, thats not a big deal as long as he doesn't mind working for his playing time.

@idahophilly You can exceed the cap by 10% during the summer, so they can exceed it, then break even when Prongers LTIR comes up in early Oct.

I've been over this in three threads now.

They have some serious off-season cap considerations *despite* having "space" in the in-season cap. Look it up.

Some of the comments on TSN are classic.

"Call me when Edmonton does not have the 1st overall pick"

"If Burke had his shot he would have drafted Schultz over Stamkos"

"Toronto is awarding him the Norris trophy already"

Good stuff up there. I hope he plays well, but I suspect it won't be as easy of a path as he thinks.

I said it before, if he wants big time minutes, Edmonton is his destination. Young team that should shape up nicely.

LOL at the Matt Gilroy reference.....

Good, I'm glad. I can't begin to think how many not very nice posts I typed in and then erased instead of posting over the last few days. Proven NHL players >> some college nobody, regardless of hype (read: Carle >> Schultz).

• Like 1

Now wait a minute... Lindross did this in a worse way refusing to even try Quebec upon drafting and a lot of you love him, pointing out it was his parents' guidance that had him acting like that. This kid went to Anaheim as drafted, and now he's a free agent and people bad mouth him for being picky? He's a kid too. Maybe it's his parents? At least he reported to who drafted him and has been in their system these past few years.

Now wait a minute... Lindross did this in a worse way refusing to even try Quebec upon drafting and a lot of you love him, pointing out it was his parents' guidance that had him acting like that. This kid went to Anaheim as drafted, and now he's a free agent and people bad mouth him for being picky? He's a kid too. Maybe it's his parents? At least he reported to who drafted him and has been in their system these past few years.

In their system??? He refused to sign with the Ducks.

• Like 1

I stand corrected... He's doing the same as Lindross then. The article I was reading was vague and I misinterpreted the author's comment about his past few years. The Ducks had his rights, nothing more. My point remains... How can Flyers fans spout angst towards him for doing what Lindross did?

This kid went to Anaheim as drafted, and now he's a free agent and people bad mouth him for being picky?

um , no he didn't. he went to Wisconsin.

he was never in the system aside from being a draft pick. he may have participated in rookie camp or whatever the hell the ducks call their prospect evaluation process. but he didn't play one minute for the ducks .

he went to school long enough to become a free agent , and then told the ducks to f off.

the Lindroses were kind of a screwy lot, but they did say they would sit out if Quebec picked him because he didn't want to play there, following a precedent pioneered by John Elway fing the Baltimore Colts over.

none of this behavior needs modeled to our children.

• Like 1

I stand corrected... He's doing the same as Lindross then. The article I was reading was vague and I misinterpreted the author's comment about his past few years. The Ducks had his rights, nothing more. My point remains... How can Flyers fans spout angst towards him for doing what Lindross did?

lots of us aren't thrilled with the way Lindros behaved either.

the sentiment i'm gathering from this thread is that of ; to paraphrase and sum up, the young man is behaving as an entitled brat, and that will not sit well with his future teammates and opponents.

lots of us aren't thrilled with the way Lindros behaved either.

the sentiment i'm gathering from this thread is that of ; to paraphrase and sum up, the young man is behaving as an entitled brat, and that will not sit well with his future teammates and opponents.

That was my point though Mojo... The fans who slam Schultz for being a jacka** better remember that Lindross did the same thing. If Lindross gets a pass for his parents influence or just being young and stupid, then Schultz should too. Personally I detest them both. Being drafted by ANY team in the NHL is a blessing. Yes, even Toronto!

@Polaris922 You have a point. At least Lindros was highly rated, this kid came from no-where status to "best not in the NHL" title in one easy step. Hey, the rules are the rules, he followed them became a UFA and the Ducks burn. This kid followed the process, Lindros balked from day one...AND did the same thing to Sault.Ste Marie before getting dealt for a boatload of talent from Oshawa. So in many ways, Lindros came off as much more entitled. Balked at the OHL draft and the NHL draft process. Some say, no ring is karma for starting out the way he did. I tend to agree. We have no room to talk about this kid.

@Polaris922 You have a point. At least Lindros was highly rated, this kid came from no-where status to "best not in the NHL" title in one easy step. Hey, the rules are the rules, he followed them became a UFA and the Ducks burn. This kid followed the process, Lindros balked from day one...AND did the same thing to Sault.Ste Marie before getting dealt for a boatload of talent from Oshawa. So in many ways, Lindros came off as much more entitled. Balked at the OHL draft and the NHL draft process. Some say, no ring is karma for starting out the way he did. I tend to agree. We have no room to talk about this kid.

It's sad to see people forget how blessed they are and act this way.

@Polaris922 I agree. I think that's what turns off so many from stongarm tatics like this. Seems some forget it's an honour and a privlige to play in the best league in the world. Having said that, this kid is not pulling anything any of us wouldn't. We would all listen to the agent and have million dollar dreams swimming around in our heads. Guess the kid has his sights set on 4 Canadian cities...hope he's ready for some heat if he isn't the next coming of #4.

@jammer2 et al

I cut the kid a break. He wants to play in Canada! Good for him. When's the last time someone has done that? I'm constantly disappointed in seeing Canadian guys not take hometown (country) discounts to stay and play pro hockey in front of adoring and knowledgeable fans and the country of their birth.

I think there is a difference between saying you don't want to play in a certain city (if Schultz didn't want to play in Anaheim its fine) and lining up suitors with a list of demands.

If he just didn't want to play in Anaheim I wouldn't fault him. Its his right. But this is kind of making spectacle of the NHL and its ridiculous. That isn't the same thing as not wanting to play where you are probably going to be drafted.

I personally don't think there is a huge problem with that. Some organizations are run like a joke and are not committed to winning.

• Like 1

@jammer2 et al

I cut the kid a break. He wants to play in Canada! Good for him. When's the last time someone has done that? I'm constantly disappointed in seeing Canadian guys not take hometown (country) discounts to stay and play pro hockey in front of adoring and knowledgeable fans and the country of their birth.

Yeah, its fine. Its a bit extreme and he's digging himself a bit of a hole but its fine. I just don't think its the same as not wanting to play in the city that is going to draft you and letting them know up front you don't want to play there.