Justin Schultz

Guest OzFlyer

@Podein25

@jammer2

I hear what you're saying, especially the respect for the kid wanting to play in Canada. Hell even as an American that point taken by itself makes me proud. But I'm not sure that refusing to sign with the team that drafted you is what we all would do....if so, the draft would be completely meaningless. It strikes me as pure arrogance for a player to decide that he's bigger than system, to Hell with the team that wasted a draft pick on him.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, I have a personal bias that skews my objectivity - my family were Baltimore Colts season ticket holders. John Elway refused to play in Baltimore and eventually forced a trade that netted them an average player and a draft pick in return....the football equivalent of a bag of pucks. 9 months later the Colts were in Indianapolis. There were a lot of reasons for the move, but to this day I believe that if Elway just stfu and played for the team that drafted him, the Colts would still be in Baltimore. Either way, I never forgot that punk b*tch flipping the bird to an entire city and fanbase. And before you say it, I felt the same about Lindros blowing off Quebec City.

So to come full circle, no this won't mean the Ducks will leave Anaheim, but I just think it's a d*ck move. Nobody is bigger than the game.

• Like 2

@sarsippius

i alluded to the colts in my post, you eloquently expounded upon it with yours, when i think of the schultz situation i was reminded of the elway scenario & the lindros fiasco, and like i said that behavior sets a fine example of selfish entitlement.

@sarsippius i alluded to the colts in my post, you eloquently expounded upon it with yours, when i think of the schultz situation i was reminded of the elway scenario & the lindros fiasco, and like i said that behavior sets a fine example of selfish entitlement.

Why can't you be selfish picking where you want to have your playing career?

@Phillygrump My big problem is this. If everyone thought they were special and wanted to hand pick their destination, the whole drafting process and the very way young talent is distributed would collapse. The league as we know it would cease to exist.

• Like 1

Why can't you be selfish picking where you want to have your playing career?

grump, the young fella hasn't played a minute in the league. when his rookie deal is done he can choose to play anywhere he likes. he doesn't have to sign for a billion years out of the gate. why is he above the system ?

grump, the young fella hasn't played a minute in the league. when his rookie deal is done he can choose to play anywhere he likes. he doesn't have to sign for a billion years out of the gate. why is he above the system ?

He's not. Is he bucking the system? He just doesn't want to sign in Anaheim.

The song and dance he's making these teams go through is bogus, but I have no problem with him leaving Anaheim.

@Phillygrump My big problem is this. If everyone thought they were special and wanted to hand pick their destination, the whole drafting process and the very way young talent is distributed would collapse. The league as we know it would cease to exist.

Yeah, but it doesn't happen all that often in sports where it is a threat to bring it all crashing down. There are some bad organizations out there or should I say organizations that go through some very bad eras.

I don't blame a kid for not wanting to go to a franchise that is so far from winning. I don't admire the character of a kid who is not willing to be competitive enough to want to be the guy who turns a franchise around, but I don't think its detestable or anything.

J.D. Drew did it to the Phillies and he was probably wise to do so. That organization, that I love, was not committed to winning.

I think I get what you guys are saying and I respect it. You'd prefer that said kid/draft pick signs a contract with the team that drafted him and play it out until free agency.

Fair enough. I can respect that. I guess I just don't think its a huge deal. Schultz and his agents are a little over the top though.

@jammer2 et al

I cut the kid a break. He wants to play in Canada! Good for him. When's the last time someone has done that? I'm constantly disappointed in seeing Canadian guys not take hometown (country) discounts to stay and play pro hockey in front of adoring and knowledgeable fans and the country of their birth.

They moved New York City to Canada? When did that happen? I really need to start watching the news more often.

@Phillygrump...I'm always thinking in terms of fantasy hockey, so if it is indeed Edmonton, this will make for a tough read next fall. It will make Edmonton exhibition games a must see for die hard fantasy guys. If this kid clicks with Hall, Eberle, RNH and now Nail....well he could be a pretty high pick and a keeper at that. I will have to monitor this closely.

He's going to Edmonton. Its hard to wish this kid a ton of success due to this freaking dog and pony show.

Really? Not the kid's fault. He didn't make the rules regarding the draft and free agency. He's publicly said he wants to earn his spot. Like any free agent, he is trying to find the best fit. The "requesting of ice time" looks like it was a rumor. I have no problem with how this played out. The media and fans of other teams love to kill guys in his spot. Nothing but jealousy from those whose teams weren't in the race i/m/o.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636627