Justin Schultz

Guest OzFlyer

@OzFlyer Wow, lotta action this off season, it's exciting but at the same time scary. Fear of the unknown d-man....LOL! This, the Ryan deal on and off every moment, JVR, the no-name draft, Bob....wtf is going on around here....all in one week!

• Like 1

@OzFlyer Wow, lotta action this off season, it's exciting but at the same time scary. Fear of the unknown d-man....LOL! This, the Ryan deal on and off every moment, JVR, the no-name draft, Bob....wtf is going on around here....all in one week!

Whole lotta shaking goin' on...

There won’t be a financial bidding war among those teams or any of the NHL’s other 25 clubs because Schultz can’t be offered more than a standard entry-level contract.

Under the CBA, players between the ages of 18 and 21 must sign entry-level contracts for their first three seasons. The maximum entry-level salary this past season was $925,000 US.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/06/24/sp-nhl-justin-schultz-free-agency-newport-sports-management-bob-murray-brian-burke.html

@OzFlyer It's gonna be whoever has the best team combined with who can offer the most bonus money....which has to be accounted for in the cap (at least until this new CBA is hammered out)....so in a way, yes, it is a bit of a bidding war, because you can offer 2.5 mill over the rookie cap.

EDIT....it may come down to who offers "reachable" incentive bonus clauses....so Schultz can turn it into real money.

Edited by jammer2

Still much less shocked than last season lol

@sekkes85 Oh geez Sekkester....I will *never* forget that day coming home from work...sitting down at the computer, not knowing a thing and trying to process the different threads that had been started that day....my life as a Flyer fan altered beyond belief in a single sit down session.

Still much less shocked than last season lol

Well thats a true statement, only last year the bomb went off before we even knew what was happening......this off season so far has been more of a slow burn so far

• Like 1

@NastyNate

http://www.hockeysfu...justin_schultz/

Looks to be the #1 prospect not in the NHL yet. He was drafted by the Ducks in 08' but is a FA as of 7/1/12.

He is highly sought after and is listed to be a top four defender.

He looks to be smart and confident with the puck and has a tremendous hockey IQ.

Downside is he weighs 185 and is listed at 6'2" and an 82 game schedule may be a little much.

I do not expect him to come to PHL only due to his probable demands of ice time.

I highly suspect EDM is the front runner as he will almost be guaranteed a roster spot when he makes the leap into the NHL...

Edited by Bertmega

@Bertmega

Yeah he's gonna want a one-way contract and he'll get it. Nobody can figure out why he couldn't/wouldn't come to agreement on a contract w ANA.

He sounds for real, but how many teams can afford to have a 22 year old D-man play regular minutes and can't send to the AHL for seasoning? Crappier teams, that's who.

• Like 1

@everyone

so may be this Shultz is a can't miss prospect, all these demands for PT , former badger teammates , no yellow m&m's and whatnot can't sit well in an NHL locker room. the way he's going about this free agency is a bit Lindrosian or Elwayish.

guy could be more trouble than is worth what he brings to the rink.

• Like 1

By my calculations after resigning Vors, HarryZ, Sestito, MAB, and Carl we may have 1.2 million left and 1.5 if lucky. Jagr walks and Kubina to. We can stash Shelly in the AHL and get another 1.1 million. But we still need another goalie. And of coarse when the season starts we get Prongers 4.9 million (or so). But as I understand that we cant use that until the season starts.

So, what would prevent us from signing a UFA, letting them know it has to be a 2 way movement clause because he will need to miss the 1st game of the season because he'll be in the AHL until Pronger comes of the books with in a few days? Waiver risk?

@idahophilly You can exceed the cap by 10% during the summer, so they can exceed it, then break even when Prongers LTIR comes up in early Oct.

Well then, by my math we have enough for a backup goalie and 1 winger in the 4-5 million range (which is darn good) depending on what we do with Shelly...

Sounds like this kid has a bad case if entitlementitis. Demanding to be on the NHL roster? To me that means he puts himself above the team and believes in having a spot handed to him without needing to prove he deserves it.