If Sundin got into the Hall....

Guest ctid

Lindros should aswell eventually!

"Sundin wasn't considered to be a lock in his first year eligible for the Hall, but the ex-Maple Leafs captain got in because he put up 1,349 points in 1,346 games during 18 NHL seasons, including 13 in Toronto."

Lindros played 760 NHL regular season games and scored 865 points. 53 playoff games and 57 points.

Career achievements

• 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 300 points (210 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (159), Mario Lemieux (186) & Peter Stastny (186)
  • 4th fastest player in NHL history to score 400 points (277 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (197), Mario Lemieux (240) & Peter Stastny (247)
  • 5th fastest player in NHL history to score 500 points (352 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (234), Mario Lemieux (287) & Peter Stastny (322) & Mike Bossy (349)
  • 6th fastest player in NHL history to score 600 points (429 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (273), Mario Lemieux (323) & Peter Stastny (394), Mike Bossy (400) & Jari Kurri (419)

Geez, did I really just start a Should/Shouldn't he topic about Lindros??

I'm just suprised Sundin got the call, that was my point. Not to discuss whether Lindros belongs in the hall of fame.....he does though :)

• Like 1

Sundin deserves to be in the Hall....he not only got better as he got older (ie tougher to play against)....he is a solid point per game guy with little talent to play with throughout his TO years. Played against the top checking line for his entire career. Everytime he stepped on the ice the top checkers came over the board. A lot of HOF'ers had other to take the heat off them. 1349 in 1346 games...that's a *real* nice career. He deserves it. I gained more and more respect for this guy as time went on. Seen him play most of his career, so not just guessing...saw it live.

Edit...the stats say it all: 27th all time in scoring, tied for 20th all time for regualr season goals...ahead of such legends as Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur, Johnny Bucyk...different eras, but to have more goals than those guys, that's impressive. They all played with better players and passers.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

I've just always thought of Sundin and Lindros having somewhat similar careers, maybe because they played in the same era.

Both were point per game or better players.

Both were the go to guy

They never won the Stanley Cup

I guess you make a good point though Jammer, Sundin probably deserves to be in the Hall.

But Lindros was just WAY more dominant and, in my opinion, at their primes, clearly the better player, no question.

Ah crap, here I go again bringing Lindros into the discussion.

Sundin for me was an amazing player, but when it comes to getting into the Hall of Fame, again, for me he is right on the border, but in the end, yea I don't have a big issue with him being in there.

A lot of HOF'ers had other to take the heat off them. 1349 in 1346 games...that's a *real* nice career. He deserves it. I gained more and more respect for this guy as time went on. Seen him play most of his career, so not just guessing...saw it live.

Edit...the stats say it all: 27th all time in scoring, tied for 20th all time for regualr season goals...ahead of such legends as Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur, Johnny Bucyk...different eras, but to have more goals than those guys, that's impressive. They all played with better players and passers.

Agree with all of that. For some reason, Sundin gets sold short for never delivering a cup in Toronto.

@Vanflyer I was shocked to just read Shanahan did not get into the Hall. Unreal, he is a first ballot HOF'er for sure. Pavel Bure before Shanny....not in my books. Bure was great at what he did, score...but really one dimensional. Shanny was a physical force, 1st and only player to ever score 600 goals and amass 2000 PIM's. He was a work ethic demon, teriffic leader...his first year with Detroit, he scored 46 goals and ended the 40+ year cup drought. Mind you, he had some greats with him, but Shanny was a beast with a teriffic skill set. What a leader....I'm ashamed they picked Bure over Shanny...not right, not right at all!!!

@jammer2

That is extremely stunning to me as well. I would not even have Bure on a any ballot. Federov before him (Bure).

What a great snap shot!

I remember both his Blues days more than his Red Wings. On the Wings, he always seemed 2nd - 3rd fiddle and perhaps that costed him. Next time around he will go in. I don't know the voting process, but I agree that Bure before Shanahan on first ballot is a travesty. What did bure ever do??