What's behind the NHL's snubbing of Shero

Guest Irishjim

In the eyes of some, Fred Shero is being punished for the transgressions of his teams in Philadelphia. The 18-member Hall of Fame selection committee has some explaining to do. The committee shamed itself, again, by bypassing [shero] for the Hall of Fame on Tuesday. Nicknamed "The Fog," the quirky Shero was an innovator, and he directed the Flyers to consecutive Stanley Cups in the 1970s. In a six-year span, he led his teams to four appearances in the Finals, including 1979 with the New York Rangers. My gut reaction is that the committee frowns upon Shero because they think the Broad Street Bullies -- the nickname given to Shero's brawling Flyers teams of the 1970s -- soiled the NHL's image.

This is a tough one Jim. I love Freddie...love his coaching, love his hockey theory....love everything about the guy. I *just* don't know about one thing....longevity. He only coached 734 games....9 and a quarter years to be exact. Under a decade is pretty short for a coach to get into the hall of fame.

Nice winning percentage (think it was .612), won the Jack Adams as coach of the year...2 time Stanley Cup champ, 4 first place finishes....but just as important...he was an innovator. In an era where skill and technique was a sign of the time, he game us "take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor"....or something to that effect..LOL!

• Like 1

As it has been pointed out. His connection to the Broad Street Bullies. The rest of the League resented the fact that at that time this new team won a Cup quicker than any other franchise. Also they were angry that the Cup did not come North of the Border.

This is a tough one Jim. I love Freddie...love his coaching, love his hockey theory....love everything about the guy. I *just* don't know about one thing....longevity. He only coached 734 games....9 and a quarter years to be exact. Under a decade is pretty short for a coach to get into the hall of fame.

Nice winning percentage (think it was .612), won the Jack Adams as coach of the year...2 time Stanley Cup champ, 4 first place finishes....but just as important...he was an innovator. In an era where skill and technique was a sign of the time, he game us "take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor"....or something to that effect..LOL!

If he had done the same thing in Toronto - the Exact. Same. Thing. with the Bullies and all - he'd have buildings named after him and a street paved in gold leading to the Hall of Fame in his honor.

• Like 1

If he had done the same thing in Toronto - the Exact. Same. Thing. with the Bullies and all - he'd have buildings named after him and a street paved in gold leading to the Hall of Fame in his honor.

you forgot a national holiday as well

I also think this should be put to rest, Shero was the greatest coach in this franchises' history and that should be enough, the people who know about him "know" . bullies, drinking whatever it is those douches are using as justification will not change the fact he was an innovator a great quote, and winner.

I also think this should be put to rest, Shero was the greatest coach in this franchises' history and that should be enough, the people who know about him "know" . bullies, drinking whatever it is those douches are using as justification will not change the fact he was an innovator a great quote, and winner.

Fred Shero has done more for the league and more for the game BY FAR than Mats "Mr. Sta-Puft" Sundin.

Rob Zombie ain't making a movie about the Leafs sucking for his entire tenure in Tronno, is he?

Okay so gimme a history lesson here... Why was he a great innovator? I don't know a lot about the man, just a few stories told in tv here and there.

"Shero was an innovator, aside from being the first coach to employ systems, and known as one of the first Western coaches to study Soviet influences, he was the first coach to study film. His son Ray even recalls his father breaking down games from radio broadcasts.[19] He was also the first to have his players use in season strength training, with the use of an Apollo machine, a precursor to Nautilus equipment.[19] As well as one of the first coaches to adopt the morning skate.[19] He was one of the first coaches to have a game plan specifically designed on how to attack opposing teams."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Shero

"Shero was an innovator, aside from being the first coach to employ systems, and known as one of the first Western coaches to study Soviet influences, he was the first coach to study film. His son Ray even recalls his father breaking down games from radio broadcasts.[19] He was also the first to have his players use in season strength training, with the use of an Apollo machine, a precursor to Nautilus equipment.[19] As well as one of the first coaches to adopt the morning skate.[19] He was one of the first coaches to have a game plan specifically designed on how to attack opposing teams."

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Fred_Shero

With that in mind, WTF. Take away names and logos, and that guy should be a mortal lock for the HOF.

Then I agree. If all those facts are there and they're not taking him in it has to be prejudice against him. I'd assume from the bully history. It runs a lot of people wrong. I read an article once suggesting an asterisk next to those Cups as if they weren't as earned as others. And I highly doubt The Pens are against it. Why would Ray Shero work against his father's legacy? That makes no sense.

@Polaris922

if you're referring to my post, i'll apologize for not using the sarcasm font.

the penguins get blamed for everything unsavory in the sport , only stands to reason they're behind this nefarious plot too.

there, all better :ph34r:

@Polaris922

if you're referring to my post, i'll apologize for not using the sarcasm font.

the penguins get blamed for everything unsavory in the sport , only stands to reason they're behind this nefarious plot too.

there, all better :ph34r:

Haha! Okay I get it. I've heard so many people blame the Pens through the years for this and that, I'm defensive against the great conspiracy theory! Lol