Crosby signs 100 million dollar extension

Guest mojo1917

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399432

so uh that's like 11 or 12 years if it is a 9 million dollar a year cap hit.

I guess he's buying.

word has it Evgeni Malkin just ordered his bugatti veyron convertable for delivery next summer.

I'm sure all Penguins fans are hoping 87 stays healthy, cause wow, that is a large sum of money for a decade.

@JackStraw

I think I accidentally just reported you! I'm sure you deserved it somehow, but still feel bad 'cause it was an accident.

(yesterday, I didn't know where the damn (faded) button was; today I can't help but hit it accidentally! Doh!)

This is really not so bad for the Pens. Cap hit is the same as his current deal, and he's not over 35 so if he is forced to retire Pitt is not on the hook.

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. Really, this plays out 1 of two ways. Either he stays healthy and the Pensies keep arguably the best player in the league at well less than market value for the forseeable future OR he gets rocked 1 or 2 years into the deal and hangs up the skates. Maybe the Pensies have to deal with 1 or 2 years of LTIR nonsense if he has concussion issues in the first few years but that's a risk worth taking. If he has concussion issues towards the end of the deal well then - who cares. He's at the end of the deal and you had 8-10 years of him at less than market value.

I'll give him credit - he is leaving about $36 million on the table over the life of the deal. That's easy - I should say easiER - to do when you when you make over $100 million during the same time. Still - $36 million is a lot of drachma.

@KjellShocked - Yeah, all things considered I think this is a pretty good deal for both sides. Crosby probably passed up more money but he gets a certain amount of security that another team might not have been willing to go for. At Pitt gets him locked up at less than market value (probably) without much risk. It will be interesting to see what Malkin does now.

Well, there is a risk. Like paying a hundred million dollars in guaranteed money to a vegetable (if he gets demolished next season) type franchise destroying risk. It might not hurt the cap if he retires, BUT, it is Pitt we're talking about. They'll whine their way into getting the city to pay for it I'm sure.

Well, there is a risk. Like paying a hundred million dollars in guaranteed money to a vegetable (if he gets demolished next season) type franchise destroying risk. It might not hurt the cap if he retires, BUT, it is Pitt we're talking about. They'll whine their way into getting the city to pay for it I'm sure.

I'll drop a drachma or two into the collection plate if need be. My team is finally solid financially, with a multi-billion dollar owner. I'm grateful to have them here, and I'd rather my tax money go to them than the useless pieces of crap I see standing before judges everyday facing drug charges telling the judge they're on disability. Lol

Seriously though, it's a great deal for us and him. And I'd be willing to bet Malkin signs for the exact same thing. The two kind of share things... Even as small as Crosby is C but Malkin is last out of the locker room. I genuinely think they make each other better.

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. Really, this plays out 1 of two ways. Either he stays healthy and the Pensies keep arguably the best player in the league at well less than market value for the forseeable future OR he gets rocked 1 or 2 years into the deal and hangs up the skates. Maybe the Pensies have to deal with 1 or 2 years of LTIR nonsense if he has concussion issues in the first few years but that's a risk worth taking. If he has concussion issues towards the end of the deal well then - who cares. He's at the end of the deal and you had 8-10 years of him at less than market value.

I'll give him credit - he is leaving about $36 million on the table over the life of the deal. That's easy - I should say easiER - to do when you when you make over $100 million during the same time. Still - $36 million is a lot of drachma.

It's even easier when you make a billion a year in endorsements.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399432

so uh that's like 11 or 12 years if it is a 9 million dollar a year cap hit.

I guess he's buying.

word has it Evgeni Malkin just ordered his bugatti veyron convertable for delivery next summer.

I'm sure all Penguins fans are hoping 87 stays healthy, cause wow, that is a large sum of money for a decade.

Could you imagine the haul they could have gotten if they would have traded Crysby and built around Malkin? They could probably have had Weber and Suter's rights and you name it.

I say this not from hatred for the guy, but because I truly believe it: I think that Crosby will have his career cut short due to injury. I probably would have traded him.

I genuinely think they make each other better.

Of course you know the situation much better than us andI am sure they *can* in fact co-exist. But I was on business in Pittsburgh (actually Monaca) just after we beat you guys in May, and I was listening to the local radio, and many callers and even a host were saying that the Pens should really trade one of them and build th eteam around the other.... and that it's never a good idea to have 2 superstars on the same team. Personally I think it's baloney, especially considering that was right after the playoff exit and the fans were angry... But I would be curious to hear your persepctive. Do they get along or is there a perception that *maybe* they compete with each other too much?

Edited by Mad Dog

Everything I see leads me to believe they get along really well. I only go to half of the games and obviously nobody can know what they're really thinking, but everything I've read also points to a lot if practical jokes and time spent goofing around. I think Sid is smart enough to know Malkin is a huge part of the team, and vice versa. I think they've both come to understand sharing the spotlight means legitimate runs at the Cup for years to come. And Malkin seems to get the better line mates, with Sid apparently not really caring who he plays with. I guess nobody really knows, but Staal was the only one ever thought to be unhappy. Hell Malkin's parents are celebrities here, and Sid lived with Mario for awhile.

I have an opinion on this matter. :)

From a cap hit persepctive - it's great for the Pens. Cap (most likely) continues to rise. Crosby's cap hit stays the same. All of the talk on the impossibility of keeping Crosby, Malkin and Staal was based on big raises due to them. Turns out, no raise for Crosby and Staal could have been offered the moon and still left. Now instead of Malkin, Crosby and Staal and little cap room we have Malkin, Crosby and lots of cap room (thanks in part due to the Michalek deal). Not a betting man but I'd be willing to wager that Malkin signs a similar deal when his turn comes up.

The concern of course is the length. Another poster touched on the possible scenarios which I agree with 100%. Crosby plays out the deal with minimal concussion issues and everyone is happy. If he has problems early on to the point where he has to retire, the salary comes off the cap. Yes I know...LTIR. Pure speculation but for the life of me I cannot see a scenario where Crosby sits on LTIR for 8 or 9 years due to concussion issues. LTIR wasn't meant for that. I don't know how that plays out...maybe a change in the CBA...something. Now - I'm only talking about the cap hit. As far as "real" money, the Pens would be on the hook for a portion of that. However, insurance is involved....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/sidney-crosby-new-contract-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl-insurance-062812

Doesn't seem like the Pens would be completely indemnified but may recoup something so long as no exclusion is applied. Interesting read.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what the insurance deal that accompanies this extension looks like. It must be a doozy.

I don't wish any ill will on Sid (ok, only a little), but I don't think his concussion problems are behind him. Not the way he plays the game. And he's only gonna play it one way.

I can't imagine what the insurance deal that accompanies this extension looks like. It must be a doozy.

I don't wish any ill will on Sid (ok, only a little), but I don't think his concussion problems are behind him. Not the way he plays the game. And he's only gonna play it one way.

It's actually handled by the league. Just skimming through the details in that article and others...haven't "noodl'd" through it. Looks like the Pens don't escape unscathed but they aren't on the hook for $8.7 million for 12 years either.

nice to see you back and posting @B21

Thanks. I needed a vacation after that series to de-stress. Not going to come back right after you guys got eliminated...looks bad. Plus, I hardly watched the remainder of the playoffs. It's like that with all my teams. If my team is in the post-season and gets eliminated, I shut down until the offseason fun starts...which is now.

• 4 weeks later...