What about P.A. Parenteau?

Guest Phillygrump

Would anyone be interested in signing him to replace JVR and balance out our scoring lines? Especially if we miss on Doan.

He would be cheaper than Doan or Ryan and that cheaper option would allow maybe a later run at Weber in a year....

He has nice size and is a right hand shot.

Would anyone be interested in signing him to replace JVR and balance out our scoring lines? Especially if we miss on Doan.

He would be cheaper than Doan or Ryan and that cheaper option would allow maybe a later run at Weber in a year....

who the hell is he?

@Phillygrump He's a pass first guy who will turn 30 next year. Based on his 67 pts last year, he'll be looking for a 4 or 5 year deal worth 5.5-7.0 range per year. Bascially an older version of Voracek who got all his points playing with Tavares (over 20 pts on the top pp also). He would not have that role in Philly, we are to deep. Can see other teams jumping on his bandwagon, he's a very useful player, but don't see him fitting in Philly. Had himself a very nice contract year though, somebody will fork over his cash.

• Like 1

Meltzer addressed the possibility of adding Parenteau in his blog today:

"Most folks seem to be focused on free agents such as P.A. Parenteau or Ray Whitney (himself 40 years old) if Jagr does not come back and the club is unable to trade for Ryan. I understand the sentiment -- there is a concern over the Flyers losing too much offense from the top two wings between Jagr and JVR departing.

I view it a little differently. First of all, I'm not particularly enamored of Parenteau. The late-blooming winger has done a pretty good job on the Islanders' top line the last couple of years and has had some success against the Flyers (which sometimes contributes to a particular player being brought in) despite New York's poor record against Philly.

Parenteau is a good passer with good offensive instincts. But he is a poor skater, subpar defensively and not much of a finisher. At age 29, he is not suddenly going to morph into a more complete player.

Frankly, I think he's going to get overpaid by his next team and I would not be eager if I were Paul Holmgren to lock myself into a multi-year deal. Jagr might cost more for next season, but it will be only a one-year arrangement. As for Whitney or a discount option such as bringing Mike Knuble back to Philly at a reduced cost after a miserable season for the Capitals, they team also might as well just hammer out something with Jagr."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Jagr-Alternatives-Carle--LTIR-Larsson/45/45263

@jammer2

Haha…I totally didn’t think that you did!

I agree that he wouldn’t be a good fit for the Flyers, and that someone will end up overpaying for him. It’ll be interesting to see how he produces with whatever team he ends up with—and if he can maintain his scoring touch without the benefit of being Tavares’ linemate…

@Merrick I think any team getting him would understand where he has to be slotted into the line-up. He needs top minutes and skilled line mates to get the full amount out of him. Could see him being a good fit with the Habs should they have the cap space. He's the kinda guy who could make Plecanek better.

@Phillygrump He's a pass first guy who will turn 30 next year. Based on his 67 pts last year, he'll be looking for a 4 or 5 year deal worth 5.5-7.0 range per year. Bascially an older version of Voracek who got all his points playing with Tavares (over 20 pts on the top pp also). He would not have that role in Philly, we are to deep. Can see other teams jumping on his bandwagon, he's a very useful player, but don't see him fitting in Philly. Had himself a very nice contract year though, somebody will fork over his cash.

Nice analysis, totally agree.