Giroux update

Guest Leach27

It has a concussion written all over it. And this time, in the Flyers' true fashion I must add, the injury was incurred from the Flyers' own player. Beautiful... Only here.

You might check out "Crosby, Sidney" and "Kunitz, Chris" adding in "Penguins, Pittsburgh" just for good measure...

If someone call tell me what Simmonds is supposed to do here that he doesn't do in trying to avoid Giroux, please let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AjW0Vc_AA

It's an unfortunate accident. And these situations are always made worse when players are caught unawares - it's like being in a car accident you're not expecting.

@radoran

Yah you right, it could be worst. He could have ran his skate blade across his throat. We are very lucky indeed.

He could have plowed right into him and resulted in potential serious injury to BOTH players.

The person who made the mistake here - as Jackson points out - is Giroux, who missed a check.

That said, I don't *blame* anyone for this. It's an accident. Accidents will happen*.

Again, if you can tell me what Simmonds "should have done" in this situation to avoid any and all contact with Giroux, I'm happy to hear it.

I'm not saying this isn't unfortunate. It's a split-second, bang-bang play. In short - it's hockey.

It's just not anybody's "fault".

* TM Elvis Costello

If someone call tell me what Simmonds is supposed to do here that he doesn't do in trying to avoid Giroux, please let me know

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j3AjW0Vc_AA

It's an unfortunate accident. And these situations are always made worse when players are caught unawares - it's like being in a car accident you're not expecting.

C'mon, in a situation like this, you gotta let us hate someone.

Aren't there helmets and mouthpieces designed to lessen the impact of a shot to the head ?

I think I remember Lindros of all people using the mouth piece when his career was winding down here.

i know there are football helmets with extra padding inside that nearly everyone wears, i would think at this point i wouldn't care what it looked like so long as it helped keep my brains from sloshing around in my skull like a martini.

i think hockey helmets will be my lunchtime useless research project.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/10/crimson-don-new-hocke-helmets-in-fight-against-concussions/

so when Giroux comes back I hope he's wearing the M11 from cascade sports... endorsement deal or no. this helmet seems to be designed with hockey players in mind , the company and program has mark messier as its hockey adviser.

the NHL would be wise to fund some serious research regarding head injuries and their prevention.

I agree with Rad. Watching the replay over and over again, I am not sure what Simmonds could do. There was no way he could've stopped as he was skating at full speed.

Giroux will be fine. sh!t happens.

Edited by Mad Dog

I can't believe some fans are not pissed to see the best player out with injury. How can you shrug and say "it's ok", like you don't even care. If we go on a losing streak i'm sure that will all change.

what is it you want people to do? gnash teeth and wail at the injustice? no one did anything wrong here; we all hope this is as minor a situation as possible and giroux comes back quickly (but not too quickly). what more do you want?

@Leach27

Leach I think a lot of people are pissed, but there is nothing anyone of us can do. Simmonds probably feels like the biggest a-hole right now and there really was nothing that he could have done to avoid the contact. If he slid, he would have wiped Giroux out from the knees. If he turns to the boards he risks injuring himself.

Giroux missed the check and was in a bad spot, sh!t happens. He'll get better and this will all be a distant memory. Let's save the worrying for now and see if this team can maintain it's composure.

Time for fat head JvR to step up his game, Voracek to finish, Read to continue being Read, and Cooter rising to the occasion.